Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 02:58   #106

Re: Cat Capsizes off Kangaroo Island

Here is an interview with an explanation as to the events from the owner.
News Video - Yahoo!7 News
The boat looks in great condition other than being inverted. Boards intact, Rudders intact, all visible areas of hulls intact. In the interview there is no reference to hull damage other than a broken port-light letting in water. What is going on here? Every story is a little different. Is the "Press" to blame?
Old 12-05-2011, 21:24   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran

Hi guy's i am sorry to read about that cat flip off kangaroo island but thankful that no one got hurt! I know it's old news but it stll remains a very real problem one just cannot wish away! In a former post i recomend a good forward looking (horizontal) sonar as standard equipment one should not be without, if it can improve ones chanches by one percent it's worth it and it's not expensive!
niel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 05:13   #108
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Niel, assuming the range is decent and that there aren't too many false postives, I too think it would be a great idea for both monos and multis.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 05:47   #109

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Lots of speculation about the physics of this capsize but I think the scariest piece of info is the fact that the MAIN rescue equipment: the EPIRB, had to be fetched from its obviously ineffective placement. If a cat flips, it floats-a great feature- but inverted, it also probably prevents float-free operation of EPIRB mounts. In a heavy sea, or if separated from the boat, there could be no way to get to it. On my mono, which would go down like a rock if suddenly flooded, am always at a quandary as to where to place the EPIRB. Have decided that the best place to keep it when offshore is in the ditch bag, in the cockpit right next to the liferaft within reach in seconds.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 06:24   #110
Marine Service Provider

Hi Brad, the forward looking sonars i have checked out all seem to have a 100 meter range. To my way of thinking it's not bad at a speed of about 8 knots however in high speeds i'm not so sure as i never tested it in gale condisions. Raymarine have a nice one and as i said they retail for about $1 100. There a quite a few brandnames which are more or a less all the same and they arn't too heavy on the amp's either. To me it was not a bad investment.
Old 13-05-2011, 21:03   #111
Marine Service Provider

Hi Brad, i am discussing sonars and floating objects on another thread and some interesting points came up as the guys are adding. The thead is here
Floating Containers In The Ocean - Page 11 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

I thought you might like to have a look!
Old 14-05-2011, 05:46   #112
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

What are the chances you would be looking at your sonar while offshore right before you hit the container? For me it would be almost zero as the last instrument I would even consider looking at in deep water would be my depth sounder.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 06:16   #113
Marine Service Provider

smj, since my last posting on sonars i was informed that there are now new forward looking sonars with capabilities of 1200 to 1800 foot. If one take away the salesmans pitch and you can work on between 600 to 900 feet as acurate then your time before actully hitting a container increase 6 to 9 fold i.e at 6 knots from 1.8 minutes before impact up to 2.7 minutes before impact. Naturally sea conditions will play a major role and operating in 6 to 12 foot waves might give you a false reading Frankly, with that insurance you are better off then without it! Last but not least, your point of not looking at your depth meter as a example is very true and forward looking sonar cannot replace vigilance, but i think it's a real good tool to have.
Old 17-05-2011, 04:38   #114
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I would assume that, like depth sounders, forward looking sonar could also be set with an alarm. If so, it could be very effective.....

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 15:17   #115

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
OK, here's what the shipping industry has to say about floating shipping containers and their removal from shipping lanes:

http://uploads.containerownersassoci...Containers.pdf

Don't forget that these guys have a fairly vested interest!

They haven't mentioned how long insulated containers float for, but have dispelled the myth of "floating below the surface". They haven't however, disputed the fact that they may submerge for lengthy periods and bob up again due to the effect of ocean swells. This is the phenomenon that I reported in an earlier post.

Anecdotally, I have been told that old insulated containers aren't easily or profitably recycled as scrap metal and are frequently intentionally jetisoned from ships. This action is internationally illegal, so the culprits choose locations where detection is less likely. Asian waters?
So the likelihood of hitting a "floater" is influenced by the locations of these "dumping grounds" as well as the ocean currents that carry these metal icebergs.
Link now not available error 404 anyone know the new link?
Old 30-05-2011, 03:19   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Mike View Post
Link now not available error 404 anyone know the new link?
I'm not surprised that the article was taken from the website. Try reading this thread and also try not to think about it at night, far offshore!
Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Life Aquatic Aboard a Boat > Navigation Shipping containers (navigation hazard)
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 06:57   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
Has the spirited 380 been salvaged yet?
Was a beacon left on it?
Or has it fetched up ashore yet?
Anyone know?
yes the spirited 380 is in the water and needs a tow back to Esperance if anyone can help please call Ray on 0419962510
Bainzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 07:49   #118

my name is Ray jaarola and im the new owner of the good ship sv wendera it has taken 2 years for me and a lot of good friends to turn the spirited 380 over and put it back into the water . now we are needing a tow back from mundrabila back to Esperance if anyone could help please call 0419962510 or 0428186311 kind regards Ray jaarola
Bainzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 16:28   #119

Boat: I Want A Catalac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I've been quite clear and have not contradicted myself. Restating the obvious in this case is clearly of no use.
Its the use of the word "As".
Let the english majors chime in here!
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 08:02   #120

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainzy View Post
my name is Ray jaarola and im the new owner of the good ship sv wendera it has taken 2 years for me and a lot of good friends to turn the spirited 380 over and put it back into the water . now we are needing a tow back from mundrabila back to Esperance if anyone could help please call 0419962510 or 0428186311 kind regards Ray jaarola
Well done Ray, was there much to repair on the cat. Maybe you can fit brackets & outboards & just drive it back? Jeff.
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote