Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 00:31   #16

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Cat capcized in the gulf stream.

It looks small for cruising
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:19   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cat capcized in the gulf stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
LOL... not as small as an HT26..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:20   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I'll give you 5-1 odds it has more room than the boat in your signature. Very comfortable for a couple. Much more than that and yes, it's a bit small for long term cruising but what mid-30' boat is comfortable long term for a family of 4?

We'll have to see as details come out but Gemini's were never sold as unsinkable...of course not having a lead weight dragging them down should at least make the process a little slower.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:12   #19
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

God Bless 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 03-02-2016, 06:42   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 42

In 1999 we chartered a "new" Gemini in the Ft. Myers area for a week to see what we thought of Cats verses Mono's. In fact, we thought the design itself was pretty good with plenty of room for a small family doing local cruising. Moreover, with the Boards up, the boat could get into very skinny water that made tucking up into sheltered creeks pretty easy during foul weather. The down side was the poor quality/workmanship of the build. Everyday we had the boat I had one or more problems with the boat to work on/repair while my girls were out sight seeing or what-have-you. I would never have taken that boat off shore. I don't know whether the issues with the boat were particular to that boat alone or common place but....

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:53   #21

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Quote:
Small world, I know the broker.
I had some friends down to look at my boat and took them over to see what a Gemini was like - was this very same boat in Oriental, just before it was sold.
I have not been on a Gem 3400 but the later 105M(C) are quite spacious for a couple.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:55   #22

If a lead mine took on water at that rate it would have helped the occupants set a breath hold dive personal best.

I never personally liked the design. Though I have just seen tthem on paper, but they have been used on circumnavigations, and many long blue water trips.

one of the knocks is that they were designed for coastal use, as though that was some kind of a picnic. With multies the very best designs are often coastal skinny water capable, so less compromise is implied in that regard than one might require for a mono optimized for that service.
ThomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:39   #23

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I don't know how much cruising experience the new owner had, but many people don't realize that once you get south of key largo a 15 knot east wind is the equivalent of a 15 knot north wind at Miami and almost no one crosses the stream in a 15 knot north wind there. A Gemini is not a good boat to pound into a short steep sea from a wind opposing current.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:53   #24

"one hull taking on water" ... only likely thing I can think of is broken spade rudder/tube......?
unless they hit something...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 13:20   #25

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

From the owner: "It was Kindred Spirit, my '94 3400. We are fine, the boat went down about 25 miles W of South Riding Rocks at about midnight on the 31st. We are with YaRiKa, they did a great job getting us to safety. No injuries. No way of knowing where the water was coming in, I suspect a thru hull failed. "

Wonder who did the survey??
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 14:03   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
You know, the multihullers are always on the mono people about having sinkers,
Really? Can you show me an example of where a "multihuller" has gone into the monohull sailboat forum and called their boats "sinkers"?

Certainly you get responses to the usual "Cats always flip" comments on the multihull forum, but I don't think there are many examples of the reverse going on. (I could be wrong, because I don't go looking)

Anyway, this boat didn't capsize due to wind. One hull flooded due to some kind of breach. That can happen to just about any boat. And some of them might still be floating afterwards, some will even float right side up, and some most definitely won't.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 16:23   #27
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
"one hull taking on water" ... only likely thing I can think of is broken spade rudder/tube......?
unless they hit something...?

No rudder tubes on the 3400. I think Geminis are great coastal boats but I would guess about 1% of them have flipped over.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 16:27   #28

Yes contrary to many beliefs, cats do flip now and then. One flipped on charter out of the Abacos (?) several years ago. I forget the company. I think it was a FP smaller cat... 35?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 16:49   #29

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Really? Can you show me an example of where a "multihuller" has gone into the monohull sailboat forum and called their boats "sinkers"?

Certainly you get responses to the usual "Cats always flip" comments on the multihull forum, but I don't think there are many examples of the reverse going on. (I could be wrong, because I don't go looking)

Anyway, this boat didn't capsize due to wind. One hull flooded due to some kind of breach. That can happen to just about any boat. And some of them might still be floating afterwards, some will even float right side up, and some most definitely won't.
This cat was definitely still afloat some 18 hours after becoming inverted. The power boat that checked it out described it as sticking up about 2 feet out of the water. Since Geminis only draw 18 inches with the boards up it must have been floating with the bridge deck just awash.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 17:04   #30
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
This cat was definitely still afloat some 18 hours after becoming inverted. The power boat that checked it out described it as sticking up about 2 feet out of the water. Since Geminis only draw 18 inches with the boards up it must have been floating with the bridge deck just awash.

That's great. Geminis are a solid glass layup with no foam core to provide buoyancy. The fact it was floating so high means the flotation chambers were not compromised and were doing there job.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf stream