Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 08:30   #16

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: Cat buying causing domestic strife!

I won't go over all the points, as that's been done. Tom and I live on a 2004 Leopard 40. I would not do it with three kids. There just isn't enough storage space. In fact, I turned the forward starboard cabin into a pantry. Take a look at the older Leopards starting with the 43 then figure out which one meets your needs. They all have different layouts, although, the 46 is really just a bigger version of the 40.

We love our boat. She sails well but is built like a tank. The older Leopards are pretty affordable now. Good luck.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 08:38   #17

Hi I am interested in finding our more your cat. Location, price etc. you can pm me or send to my email: janaeacb@gmail.com and I will respond. thanks
jcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 08:41   #18

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renx View Post
You're not wrong, but in this case it's the wife that wants to do the hardcore sailing in a mono - she's RNLI crew and a total thrill seeker - whereas I'm happy to watch the kids play on the trampoline from the hammock with a beer!
Hahaha!! I love it!! Good on you!! You got everyone there! Now, what do all these wise sages say about keeping 'the wife' happy??? Hilarious!! (Sorry I just can't stop laughing... you made my day.)
CathNorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 08:49   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cat buying causing domestic strife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathNorrie View Post
Hahaha!! I love it!! Good on you!! You got everyone there! Now, what do all these wise sages say about keeping 'the wife' happy??? Hilarious!! (Sorry I just can't stop laughing... you made my day.)
Originally Posted by Renx
You're not wrong, but in this case it's the wife that wants to do the hardcore sailing in a mono - she's RNLI crew and a total thrill seeker - whereas I'm happy to watch the kids play on the trampoline from the hammock with a beer!

I had a sneaking suspicion this would be the case.. the phrasing of the question gave it away..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 08:57   #20

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
She is right.
No matter what, just buy the boat she wants.
In my 10th year cruising I have seen many, many, many relationships fail because HE bought the boat.
If you value your relationship all the bumpf in your post is meaningless:

Does it point? Who cares. If your wife doesn't like the boat she will go home.
Jackstays? Who cares. If your wife doesn't like the boat she will go home.

Remember this one point: If your wife doesn't like the boat she will go home.

Thus is not a facetious post. I firmly believe is the most important advice you will receive.

Mark
PS my next boat will be a cat.

Mark is absolutely correct you. You are blessed that the woman is willing and desires to take her family onto the ocean at all (I realize she's a sailor). There is very much truth to Happy Wife, Happy Life.

If you force a boat on her, it will always be your boat, and not hers. Who cares about performance statistics of one sort vs the other, safety, turtling. Those an age old argument that isn't going to end any time soon.

I am personally a monohull guy, but honestly if my wife said she'd get on the water with me so long as it was a cat? Guess what we'd be buying?

Just do it.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 08:59   #21

Boat: Outremer 42

Try and get your wife a sail on one of the old Outremers (40/43/42) in some wind. Daggerboards down (or up come to that) and see if the speed has any effect on her wishes. My wife was keen not to miss out on the thrill of heeling in a breeze until after about day 2 when she couldn't believe why all these people were hanging on for dear life in boats going half the speed and getting soaked. Now she'll happily sail a mono dinghy, but not a cruising mono again. Peace!
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 09:03   #22

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28

I absolutely love this thread and can't wait to hear what all the wise sages have to say now!! You know what they say when one ass-u-me [s]... Good on you! You got us!

P.S. Sorry but I support your wife. Monohull all the way for offshore sailing. My husband/co-skipper and I just completed our circumnavigation in our PSC 37 "Terrwyn" (now sold and we are the proud owners of a BCC 28 "Pixie" another excellent offshore boat) and there were numerous times that I thanked our lucky stars that we were in a tough little monohull.

If you are serious offshore sailors (and it sounds like your wife definitely is) then you must do it in a full keel monohull. Of course, if you just want to spend all your time at anchor drinking beer and watching the kids then definitely go with the cat.

I agree that a good portion of your time will be in anchorages but having said that... you actually want to get to those anchorages safely and in one piece.

Go with a monohull!!!

Love to all you anchored cat owners! <3
CathNorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 09:15   #23

Boat: Boatless

Maintenance: Which models have a good reputation for build quality and simple maintenance?

Loaded question. Catana's (I'm mostly familiar with the 47) had a string of problems with electrical system and rigs along with the hydraulic steering (not all had hydraulic). I've heard stay away from Nautitech but have no first hand experience. The rest of the production crowd is what it is. I like looking for a custom as you can get more waterline for same money and if looking carefully perhaps a lot more boat.

To Wind: Which models point better and have least leeway - better sailing ability?

Don't sail to weather ;-) I wrote a bit about this on the blog, sailingohana In the 40' range no comparison to the mono. That being said VMG better to sailing more of the wind and going faster. There again the short waterline length will hurt.

Heavy Weather: Apart from reefing early, how do sailing techniques differ from sailing a mono?

It's like racing a mack truck. Don't expect much. I recently took a custom 55 across to the bahamas, we would tweek and play with all but she still pretty much did what she did 10-12 knots. No real feedback at the helm.

Overpowered: How does a cat handle in a sudden squall or when suddenly overpowered?

Powers up. In the Pacific if we were hit by one would fire up the engines worse case and motor up into it for the short amount of time they last. At night we would generally reef down significantly and then just. With a triple reef and the ability to furl the jib quickly no drama. I would always prefer more waterline than you are talking about, at least 47. At 38-42 a different animal and given that choice I might opt for the 50' mono.

Stresses: Considering the last question, what happens to the rig / chainplates etc. when overpowered?

They take it, until they don't. They can take a lot more than you think.

Anchoring: Outside the Carribean, does a Cat have any major advantages over a mono?

Outside or Inside the Caribbean they do. Draft (the 3-4 foot variety) and stability. We have sat in a rolly anchorage watching our neighbors go rail to rail most of the night while we just sat there, crowded anchorages we just tuck in the back or close to the beach. Heaven.

Weight: 3 kids with ‘stuff’ - how much weight do specific models take before performance is effected?

You can carry more than you think, within reason (more so with more waterline of course). The only time I notice weight having an effect is when I put 5 20 gallon fuel cans up in the forward locker. She hoppy horsed like crazy. Moved em back to the cockpit area and no prob.

Engine / Rig / Hull: What are the issues and ‘warnings’ to watch out for when buying a 10yr old cat?

Same as any 10 year old vessel, systems. pumps, running gear, standing rigging, sails etc.

Trampolines and Bimini Hard Tops: A magnet for kids playing - Why no jackstays on cats?

Tripping hazard. We had them rigged and I rarely used them (almost never) and all of our reefing was done at the mast. The boat is just insanely stable in all but the worse conditions. I looked once and tried to imagine the what the fall would look like that would carry me across 14' of cabin top, side deck, life lines (with netting) and into the drink. Again, at night I'd super reef in the Trades and not have a need to go forward.

Any PMs, links to boats for sale or family sailing vblogs etc., welcome.

I've addressed a few of these on the link I shared earlier :-)

Side note we were having the mono/cat debate a long time ago and found ourselves in Anacortes Washington looking a non descript 50' monohull and a Catana 47. My wife was fixated on the Mono, I has trying to lever her into a Cat.

We walked over the the Catana where Dave Renouf (many of you may know him) was cleaning her up for a show. He invited us onboard but before he could show us around apologized as he had to spin her around to wax the port side.

He dropped the lines, pulled out sideways, spun around, pulled in sideways and tied back up.......all in about 3 minutes.

Wife said "checkbook" ;-)

(we didn't buy the Catana, side note. Spent about 60% less for a Custom 50 and loved that boat for a decade. She just sailed back from New Zealand the wrong way and is headed towards the UK shortly. Currently she is in Georgetown, keep and eye open for her (Ohana with a big hibiscus on the side) and say hi to Chris if you come across her. Remind him we have first right to buy her back! Speaking of which she will be in the UK soon! There is a boat to look at!

Thanks in advance.. you might just save our voyage plans.. and possibly our marriage![/QUOTE]

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 10:09   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sail everything and have fun while looking. she will enjoy the sailing while you keep your closed mind and enjoy the catamarans.
if she loves heavy wind sailing, a cat aint gonna cut it. y'all return to the slip for cocktails before the winds freshen. oops.
sail and anchor everything.
then decide.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 10:14   #25

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

Burnetts Ahoy is about a family living on a catamaran. They recently had a disaster at sea, with running into a fish trap. It's an interesting read about their boat, make/model, and why it's being repaired. It could have been a disaster, but because of it's stoutness, they are all okay.

Burnettsahoy!
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 10:16   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

forgot tto mention--if you are dead set for a cat, make sure you also buy a suitable FUN lil boat for her play in winds and anchorages you visit.
whatever she wants for sailing fun.
if you remember her needs she will bend more readily to yours.
surprise surprise surprise.
cats do have deck space and davits for dinghies.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 10:27   #27

Boat: Rafiki 37

On the plus side, if she's RNLI that's like having 1.5 crew when **** hits the fan
Old 22-03-2017, 10:43   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran

I know of about two Prout 40" in South Africa on the market better one of the two is about 134 000 pounds.

Let me know if you want more and i will send data to you via the agent.

My email is gdmmarketing@gmail.com

Guillaume
niel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 10:46   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathNorrie View Post
I absolutely love this thread and can't wait to hear what all the wise sages have to say now!! You know what they say when one ass-u-me [s]... Good on you! You got us!

P.S. Sorry but I support your wife. Monohull all the way for offshore sailing. My husband/co-skipper and I just completed our circumnavigation in our PSC 37 "Terrwyn" (now sold and we are the proud owners of a BCC 28 "Pixie" another excellent offshore boat) and there were numerous times that I thanked our lucky stars that we were in a tough little monohull.

If you are serious offshore sailors (and it sounds like your wife definitely is) then you must do it in a full keel monohull. Of course, if you just want to spend all your time at anchor drinking beer and watching the kids then definitely go with the cat.

I agree that a good portion of your time will be in anchorages but having said that... you actually want to get to those anchorages safely and in one piece.

Go with a monohull!!!

Love to all you anchored cat owners! <3
Is jealousy making you nasty?
niel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 10:50   #30

Boat: Boatless

and here comes the mono/multi debate.

bit snarky that last one and yes we've crossed oceans in a multi.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying