Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2015, 23:09   #91
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Cat Bridge Deck Clearances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIAS View Post
Well the Corsair 3600 does appear to look quite a 'schmick' Cat with quite a few bells and whistles but from what I've gleaned from the members herein and the various links and looking at the below water pics even my limited Cat insight would suggest it wouldn't take much 'weather' to turn it into a major slammer.
And therein is my point. You can make purchase decisions based on what internet people say, or you can get professional assistance - your call.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 23:35   #92

Boat: DEHLER 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Alias in just a few posts you seem to have got offside with several of the most experienced multihullers on this site.

keep up the good work

Well downunder, thank you for your information as I did came to this forum for information. (No malice intended)

Appears according to your report I have caused some bridge deck slamming!

I am also a member of a couple of other forums which has members who like to quantify their importance against other members and likewise a yacht club with a 'Royal' at the start of its title which some members feels gives them more importance and makes them more knowledgeable.

'Experts' have always been everywhere.

What I find interesting is that there is always another level to all of this when members (of both the forums and Club) give one information in private or via private msgs.

So downunder why am I not surprised it wouldn't be any different herein.

I'll survive, Randians have a tendency to do that and I've learnt that one does not lose friends but finds out who ones friends are.

So once again downunder thank you for taking the time.

ps, still trying to work out whether your post was on the money, satire or just you venting sarcasm!
ALIAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 23:54   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIAS
Well the Corsair 3600 does appear to look quite a 'schmick' Cat with quite a few bells and whistles but from what I've gleaned from the members herein and the various links and looking at the below water pics even my limited Cat insight would suggest it wouldn't take much 'weather' to turn it into a major slammer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
And therein is my point. You can make purchase decisions based on what internet people say, or you can get professional assistance - your call.
Yep Factor, my call and as you also told me earlier ...........'professional assistance' can also come with its own bias and vested interest as does members advice and information.

I came here for information which has been forthcoming in various degrees from various quarters for me to digest and maybe act upon.

For that I am grateful.

And grasshopper is still learning!

Old 10-01-2015, 05:50   #94

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
ps, still trying to work out whether your post was on the money, satire or just you venting sarcasm!
It was on the money. I honestly can't see what you are trying to accomplish here.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:50   #95

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Some great posts here for another newbie like me. I must admit to having read the post given by richinboca and found it very informative without blinding me in science.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 13:57   #96

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
It was on the money. I honestly can't see what you are trying to accomplish here.

Mark
Well Mark as I see it, I came here with questions to ask.

Responses were forthcoming.

I questioned the integrity/worth of some responses.

44 got his nose out of joint and deemed those responses (of mine) were criticizing the responses.

I saw it otherwise and didn't turn the other cheek.

And as D&D commented ..... 'this thread is now becoming as much (if not more) entertaining as it is informing?!?'

And here we are on the 5th day of the thread with 3700 odd hits which could mean D&D having a valid point.

Anyways folks, from my perspective its been informative and educational in more ways than one.

And I further suggest folks that there is more going on in the world at the moment to loose sleep over and get ones nose out of joint than this thread.

Old 10-01-2015, 14:50   #97

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
And here we are on the 5th day of the thread with 3700 odd hits which could mean D&D having a valid point.
No, I think it means that bridge deck clearance is recognized by knowledgeable cat sailors - and those becoming knowledgeable - as one of the most influential parameters of cat design.

Your next topic should perhaps be sail area/displacement....

Skip the weight topic. Everybody knows about this already and it's built in to the SA/D topic. SA should just be the upwind SA. Any cat can fly acres of sail off the wind.

Then tackle VMG upwind. But to do this you'll have to actually sail the candidates.

As a finale, tackle VMG downwind. Here the difference between gybing downwind vs DDW is determined mostly by displacement. Just about all cruising cats won't make money gybing ala beachcat. Those that can suffer from "not really a cruiser" disease, unless the cost goes way up. You can only have two of three >> performance, comfort, low cost. Pick yer poison.

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 15:09   #98

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
No, I think it means that bridge deck clearance is recognized by knowledgeable cat sailors - and those becoming knowledgeable - as one of the most influential parameters of cat design.

Your next topic should perhaps be sail area/displacement....

Skip the weight topic. Everybody knows about this already and it's built in to the SA/D topic. SA should just be the upwind SA. Any cat can fly acres of sail off the wind.

Then tackle VMG upwind. But to do this you'll have to actually sail the candidates.

As a finale, tackle VMG downwind. Here the difference between gybing downwind vs DDW is determined mostly by displacement. Just about all cruising cats won't make money gybing ala beachcat. Those that can suffer from "not really a cruiser" disease, unless the cost goes way up. You can only have two of three >> performance, comfort, low cost. Pick yer poison.

2 Hulls Dave
Ok Dave.......... your Catana has which two and why?
Old 10-01-2015, 15:14   #99

Quote:

No , no. There is now heaps of race and rally data out there for you to peruse at your leasure regarding performance. No need to get wet cold and sick.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 15:18   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
No , no. There is now heaps of race and rally data out there for you to peruse at your leasure regarding performance. No need to get wet cold and sick.

Any links please?
Old 10-01-2015, 15:20   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
But race results have a single, dependent variable that far overrides boat variable >> skipper and crew performance.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 10-01-2015, 15:49   #102

Quote:
Ok Dave.......... your Catana has which two and why?
Comfort and performance.

I will send you a PM to elaborate. I do not wish to draw undue attention to my personal choices.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 10-01-2015, 16:43   #103

Quote:
Comfort and performance.

I will send you a PM to elaborate. I do not wish to draw undue attention to my personal choices.

2 Hulls Dave
Thanks for your comments/info in your PM

Googled a couple of Catana 471's, look nice, prob for me is they are way out of my intended spend.

But back to topic..... do those under bridge deck protrusions become a issue of slamming?

Curious what are the crew requirements for comfortable handling of your Cat?

Catana 471

Old 10-01-2015, 17:36   #104

Quote:
But back to topic..... do those under bridge deck protrusions become a issue of slamming?

Curious what are the crew requirements for comfortable handling of your Cat?

Catana 471
Those are the "knuckles" I described earlier in this thread that are quite common to increase hull interior volume. They have to be vulnerable to slamming. Whether this is significant is another matter, the degree of which we may never know. We'd have to compare to the same hulls without the knuckles, which do not exist.

(FYI the center protrusion is a line conduit for the main halyard, topping lift, and reefing lines. After running through this conduit (and not on the deck) they re-appear in the cockpit near the electric winch. All mainsail handling is done there.)

My boat has slammed. All cats do. Once on a boisterous passage while in my bunk there was an "explosion" that rattled my brains. I sprung up, stark nekkid, and ran out into the cockpit, expecting the mast to fall any second. The crew on watch, sitting at the stdb helm (one of those "deadly" outboard helms ) reading a book with a headlamp, looked at me like I was nuts. He hadn't heard a thing. Being in the hulls of a cat going fast is like being on the inside of a drum. Whether it's slamming or wave slap, it's noisy. Slower boats suffer this less. No cats at anchor slam. If you're not going to do passage making, you don't need to worry about bridgedeck clearance. On this subject, do not ignore excessive bridgedeck length. This is easy to spot by looking for short bows.

As for crew requirements, for routine cruising, the Admiral and I do just fine. We enjoy tacking upwind. We also enjoy a comfy run under spinnaker. We are small people and we're not particularly young. Our combined weight is about 245 pounds (~111kg). Any properly equipped boat of similar size should be similar - with practice. Right size winches. We have one electric winch that handles the main. Manual primaries. With manual primaries you learn to tack efficiently. Our genny is 140%. 60m2. It's a beast if you let it get the upper hand. When we race we get at least three additional deck apes. Two in a pinch....

I'd be wary of the boats with configurations that claim, "all lines lead to the helm for easy single handing." Who really needs that? That produces a crowded space that the crew can't work in. Imagine flying elbows in a tack. Although I rarely do it, single handing any cat with an auto pilot and good hardware is doable. Most of the time on passage, all cruising boats are no-handed. The time you really need extra hands is arriving and leaving an anchorage or a dock and landing fish. We enjoy making our guests work at sailing the boat. It's not all rum and mangoes. But they enjoy it. Watching three newbies tack the boat is a real hoot. They get it right after a try with each at the three stations - helm and each primary. This would be almost impossible with one of those "all lines lead..." boats. But not all people are sailors at heart and your mileage may be different.....

2 Hulls Dave
Old 10-01-2015, 18:04   #105
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Those are the "knuckles" I described earlier in this thread that are quite common to increase hull interior volume. They have to be vulnerable to slamming. Whether this is significant is another matter, the degree of which we may never know. We'd have to compare to the same hulls without the knuckles, which do not exist.

(FYI the center protrusion is a line conduit for the main halyard, topping lift, and reefing lines. After running through this conduit (and not on the deck) they re-appear in the cockpit near the electric winch. All mainsail handling is done there.)

My boat has slammed. All cats do. Once on a boisterous passage while in my bunk there was an "explosion" that rattled my brains. I sprung up, stark nekkid, and ran out into the cockpit, expecting the mast to fall any second. The crew on watch, sitting at the stdb helm (one of those "deadly" outboard helms ) reading a book with a headlamp, looked at me like I was nuts. He hadn't heard a thing. Being in the hulls of a cat going fast is like being on the inside of a drum. Whether it's slamming or wave slap, it's noisy. Slower boats suffer this less. No cats at anchor slam. If you're not going to do passage making, you don't need to worry about bridgedeck clearance. On this subject, do not ignore excessive bridgedeck length. This is easy to spot by looking for short bows.

As for crew requirements, for routine cruising, the Admiral and I do just fine. We enjoy tacking upwind. We also enjoy a comfy run under spinnaker. We are small people and we're not particularly young. Our combined weight is about 245 pounds (~111kg). Any properly equipped boat of similar size should be similar - with practice. Right size winches. We have one electric winch that handles the main. Manual primaries. With manual primaries you learn to tack efficiently. Our genny is 140%. 60m2. It's a beast if you let it get the upper hand. When we race we get at least three additional deck apes. Two in a pinch....

I'd be wary of the boats with configurations that claim, "all lines lead to the helm for easy single handing." Who really needs that? That produces a crowded space that the crew can't work in. Imagine flying elbows in a tack. Although I rarely do it, single handing any cat with an auto pilot and good hardware is doable. Most of the time on passage, all cruising boats are no-handed. The time you really need extra hands is arriving and leaving an anchorage or a dock and landing fish. We enjoy making our guests work at sailing the boat. It's not all rum and mangoes. But they enjoy it. Watching three newbies tack the boat is a real hoot. They get it right after a try with each at the three stations - helm and each primary. This would be almost impossible with one of those "all lines lead..." boats. But not all people are sailors at heart and your mileage may be different.....

2 Hulls Dave
Great post...thanks Dave!

We'll make a quick comment on the "all lines lead..." issue and then withdraw back toward the thread topic. Ours is probably one of those "all lines lead..." vessels, but the presence of the flybridge eliminates (in our view anyway) the crowded space and flying elbows syndromes. The flybridge raises many issues of its own, of course, and there are many detractors, as well as many who love it; we (and everyone we know with a flybridge!) are firmly in the 'lovers' category.

Back to bridge deck clearance now...
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck