Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2015, 04:34   #76
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Cat Bridge Deck Clearances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Ok, if the crazed mob has completed its lynching ,lets get back on subject and help ALIAS

to select a boat.

Good bridge deck clearance seems like a nice asset, and a clear tunnel has its benefits.

All in agreement so far?

Moving right along ,probably best to steer clear of ones made of balsa however.

Ah yes, but what if that clear tunnel has a CQR hanging in the middle?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:52   #77

Boat: DEHLER 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Mate - no need to worry about any further comments from me. I clearly have offended you with my advice - I will not offend you further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Signature line mate - not up in the left where it says Marine Service Provider, but immediately below what I am typing - its in blue - look down a bit - thats it - look down a line more - there it is.
Looks like my bad.

Must need to go to Spec Savers................missed the small print!

Did say I was a new kid on the block.
ALIAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:05   #78
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Oh my god, I just looked at our bridgedeck clearance and realized that......it's TOO SMALL!!!! Now I don't know what to do. This boat has survived 30 years use, and made three trans Atlantic crossings. An identical sister ship was the only multihull to survive the Queen's Birthday Storm. But now I'm worried to spend the night on it again, with that low bridgedeck clearance.

How many of those deadly slams do you think one boat can survive before folding in half and sinking on the hook? Should I get a couple dozen out of it, or do they go belly up in the first half dozen slams?

Is there any record of someone surviving a bridge deck slam?
Old 09-01-2015, 05:05   #79

Well Guys so far with my questions and research I've found this to be the most informative and straight forward and objective info showing no undue favoritism.

http://www.liveantares.com/pdf/BridgedeckClearance.pdf
Old 09-01-2015, 05:12   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Oh my god, I just looked at our bridgedeck clearance and realized that......it's TOO SMALL!!!! Now I don't know what to do. This boat has survived 30 years use, and made three trans Atlantic crossings. An identical sister ship was the only multihull to survive the Queen's Birthday Storm. But now I'm worried to spend the night on it again, with that low bridgedeck clearance.

How many of those deadly slams do you think one boat can survive before folding in half and sinking on the hook? Should I get a couple dozen out of it, or do they go belly up in the first half dozen slams?

But the really pertinent question is............. Is your Cat a slammer and in what type of conditions?

Nobody said slammers can't cross the Atlantic/oceans............the question here is how comfortable is it to cross the Atlantic in your boat when the water isn't flat?

Does your boat slam and when and to what degree?

Old 09-01-2015, 05:30   #81
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

There was actually another multi that survived the Queens birthday storm. It was a Simpson 39 and was found in good shape on one of the S Pacific islands. I think the owner paid for salvage then sailed her back to Aus.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:07   #82
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIAS View Post
But the really pertinent question is............. Is your Cat a slammer and in what type of conditions?

Good god man, of COURSE it's a slammer!!! Just LOOK at those bridgedeck clearance numbers!!! And I thought that was the pertinent question. Bridge Deck Clearance. ( Didn't they open for Grand Funk in Dallas in 71?)

I don't know how we've survived this long, with all those slams. Or how a manufacturer is even allowed to build a boat with that low a clearance. There should be a law against it.

Hey, I bet that slamming is why I had to have the knees replaced! Anyone wanna help me dig old Tom Lack up and sue him?
Old 09-01-2015, 07:30   #83

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Yep, wanting opinions............

And why specifically No to the first two questions?
Alias, I apologize for missing this followup question.

That Corsair may be a very fine boat for its size. I have never seen one. But for me it's too small. Yes, I am making assumptions based on its length.

It may not be too small for you or others doing open ocean voyages. In my experience, small cats have quicker motions and are, for me, less comfortable on long passages, depending on the conditions. And small means less storage capacity for all the stores needed for voyaging. If you frequent populated areas and can re-stock, this isn't a huge issue, assuming you have the room for a water maker and plenty of fuel capacity for those unavoidable motoring periods. Smaller also means less room for solars and smaller battery capacity.

None of this has much to do with bridgedeck clearance, although loading up a small boat can significantly impact it, pun intended...

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:50   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Ok, if the crazed mob has completed its lynching ,lets get back on subject and help ALIAS
to select a boat.
Why ?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 14:35   #85
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Why ?
...because this thread is now becoming as much (if not more) entertaining as it is informing?!?

Andrew, we nodded (as always) and chuckled through your posts.

ALIAS, we continue to wish you well in your search!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 14:39   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan
to select a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Why ?
Still smoldering I see.

How about one answers your question with the question..... Why not? which may give us some insight into your character make up if nothing else.

Just asking!

Old 09-01-2015, 14:47   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Alias, I apologize for missing this followup question.

That Corsair may be a very fine boat for its size. I have never seen one. But for me it's too small. Yes, I am making assumptions based on its length.

It may not be too small for you or others doing open ocean voyages. In my experience, small cats have quicker motions and are, for me, less comfortable on long passages, depending on the conditions. And small means less storage capacity for all the stores needed for voyaging. If you frequent populated areas and can re-stock, this isn't a huge issue, assuming you have the room for a water maker and plenty of fuel capacity for those unavoidable motoring periods. Smaller also means less room for solars and smaller battery capacity.

None of this has much to do with bridgedeck clearance, although loading up a small boat can significantly impact it, pun intended...

2 Hulls Dave
Well the Corsair 3600 does appear to look quite a 'schmick' Cat with quite a few bells and whistles but from what I've gleaned from the members herein and the various links and looking at the below water pics even my limited Cat insight would suggest it wouldn't take much 'weather' to turn it into a major slammer.
Old 09-01-2015, 17:20   #88

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Quote:
Good god man, of COURSE it's a slammer!!! Just LOOK at those bridgedeck clearance numbers!!! And I thought that was the pertinent question. Bridge Deck Clearance. ( Didn't they open for Grand Funk in Dallas in 71?)

I don't know how we've survived this long, with all those slams. Or how a manufacturer is even allowed to build a boat with that low a clearance. There should be a law against it.

Hey, I bet that slamming is why I had to have the knees replaced! Anyone wanna help me dig old Tom Lack up and sue him?
Those are great boats, I'm sure it slams smooth like a Cadillac...windage will slow you more than the odd wave if the underwing is streamlined, an often overlooked point in the compromise question.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 17:37   #89

Quote:
Quote:
to select a boat.

Still smoldering I see.

How about one answers your question with the question..... Why not? which may give us some insight into your character make up if nothing else.

Just asking!

Smouldering? Nope.

Why not? Better things to do with my time.

Make whatever character assessment you like. I have.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 22:13   #90

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Quote:
to select a boat.

Still smoldering I see.

Just asking!

Alias in just a few posts you seem to have got offside with several of the most experienced multihullers on this site.

keep up the good work
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck