Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2015, 21:01   #61

Re: Cat Bridge Deck Clearances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIAS View Post
That sounds like a playing it safe 'pearls of wisdom' coming from a boat broker perchance?

Cutting to the chase...................

Would you be happy to spend extended periods of time on a Corsair 3600?

Would you sail one to NZ or Noumea with your family on-board?

Would you buy one for your own usage?
You ask a question, then criticize the answers? If you know so much just make your decisions for yourself.

Cutting to the chase.....

No, not enough headroom for me.

No because if I was taking my family it would be on my own boat.

No. See Q 1.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 21:22   #62

Boat: DEHLER 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
If you want opinions,

No, No, and No. Too small for me.

2 Hulls Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
You ask a question, then criticize the answers? If you know so much just make your decisions for yourself.

Cutting to the chase.....

No, not enough headroom for me.

No because if I was taking my family it would be on my own boat.

No. See Q 1.
Suggest asking FURTHER questions on the answers/responses received is far from criticizing the answers.
ALIAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 21:30   #63

How about calling someone's sincere attempt to answer your question "Playing safe 'pearls of wisdom'"?

Or "the type of response I had gotten/would expect from a salesman."?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 22:17   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
How about calling someone's sincere attempt to answer your question "Playing safe 'pearls of wisdom'"?

Or "the type of response I had gotten/would expect from a salesman."?

Suggest that response was a fair response to the response I got because in IMHO it was NOT answering the question I had asked, which was.....

"would I be correct to assume that the unanimous consensus is to run away??

and what I got was a mixture of philosophy and that the Corsair are not a bad boat but you need to pay a surveyor to provide you with the right answers and that internet forums were the least reliable place to get information, all from a Guy with 3000 posts.

When this threads topic is about bridge deck clearance and when my aforementioned question was related to bridge deck clearance complete with pics related to my question.

Yep, I'll stand by my comments.

Oh and btw notice you took no umbrage at him for bagging the forum members for being an unreliable source of information which then has to logically beg the question .... Is his any more reliable and why?

Old 08-01-2015, 23:15   #65

Where's Parallax Now?

I reckon the trench across the bridge deck would slam in a halting way, particularly when loaded.

Other than that she should sail well. I am pretty sure that the hulls are the same as those used for the Stealth Catamrans built by Asia Catamarans.

I enquired about one maybe four years ago that had some osmosis issues identified in a survey supplied by the broker. At the time I found the link above and another in the states that had been extensively cruised

Factor could (and would) answer all your questions and a number of questions you may not think to ask. His number is not hard to find.
Old 08-01-2015, 23:42   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Where's Parallax Now?

I reckon the trench across the bridge deck would slam in a halting way, particularly when loaded.

Other than that she should sail well. I am pretty sure that the hulls are the same as those used for the Stealth Catamrans built by Asia Catamarans.

I enquired about one maybe four years ago that had some osmosis issues identified in a survey supplied by the broker. At the time I found the link above and another in the states that had been extensively cruised

Factor could (and would) answer all your questions and a number of questions you may not think to ask. His number is not hard to find.
Thanks Donkey for the info and Parallax link........was disappointed with their Log as it failed to mention how the boat sailed/handled in the various conditions.
Guessing maybe if one lets the world know of any issues, it makes it difficult when the time to sell comes.
Old 09-01-2015, 00:04   #67

You have to be more realistic about the information you are going to find and what it will mean. Factor's post was spot on.

Most people love their boats and think they are just the best. Each to their own.
Old 09-01-2015, 00:04   #68

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 400
Re: CAT BRIDGE DECK CLEARANCES??

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
The worst that I've seen so far are Prouts..The best are Catana, Eric Lerouge design cats, etc. FP and Lagoons fall into the middle, Leopard probably more on the lower side. These charter oriented boats have had various models over the years and not all of them have the same bridge deck clearance.
I should add that bridge deck clearance is not the only parameter to consider if the issue is under bridge slamming; the opening between the hulls and the protrusions inside the hull or the bridge deck do equally matter. Many new models now are installing front cabins at the entry of the bridge rather than on the bows. This is not a good idea, particularly if the boat is shorter than 50-52 ft.This leads the hulls to be fatter, the tunnel underneath the bridge narrower and even if theoritical bridge deck clearance is OK, you will get a lot of slamming with the water compressing in between the hulls..
Hope this helps
Cheers
Yeloya

I can see the poblem with the smaller Prouts like the Quest 33, Snowgoose etc.
We are sailing a Quasar 50 made by Prout halfway around the world in all kinds of weather. We have not experienced slamming in our travels, this is not an issue for us.
KatKokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:35   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
That sounds like a playing it safe 'pearls of wisdom' coming from a boat broker perchance?
Dunno why I bother sometimes

But anyway

Quote:
Would you be happy to spend extended periods of time on a Corsair 3600?
Yep
Quote:
Would you sail one to NZ or Noumea with your family on-board?
Yep

Quote:
Would you buy one for your own usage?
Probably not - I would for similar money hunt down a Pescott whitehaven in good nick if at all possible as an example.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:37   #70
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=ALIAS;1719599][QUOTE=smj;1719591]Does this "boat broker" have the listing on the Corsair your looking at? I believe he has nothing to gain, but knowing his experience with multihulls I think you would have a lot to gain listening to his opinions.[/QUOTE

Quote:
Well smj............ don't even know whether 'FACTOR' is a boat broker.I'm a new kid on the block.
Ahem - its in my signature line

Quote:
But thank you for your input even though it sounds a bit like a buddy giving support to a buddy even though I only asked some pertinent questions it appears to me that some folks around here are kinda touchy with questions.
Never met or spoken with or exchanged emails with Mr SMJ
Old 09-01-2015, 01:41   #71
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Suggest that response was a fair response to the response I got because in IMHO it was NOT answering the question I had asked, which was.....

"would I be correct to assume that the unanimous consensus is to run away??

and what I got was a mixture of philosophy and that the Corsair are not a bad boat but you need to pay a surveyor to provide you with the right answers and that internet forums were the least reliable place to get information, all from a Guy with 3000 posts.

When this threads topic is about bridge deck clearance and when my aforementioned question was related to bridge deck clearance complete with pics related to my question.

Yep, I'll stand by my comments.

Oh and btw notice you took no umbrage at him for bagging the forum members for being an unreliable source of information which then has to logically beg the question .... Is his any more reliable and why?

Mate - no need to worry about any further comments from me. I clearly have offended you with my advice - I will not offend you further.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:53   #72

[/QUOTE

Ahem - its in my signature line

Last time I looked it said "marine service provider" which could mean anything.

Never met or spoken with or exchanged emails with Mr SMJ

Said on the basis that he came to your 'defense' so to speak and me being one of the extreme cynics on the planet.

[/QUOTE]

Old 09-01-2015, 02:07   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Mate - no need to worry about any further comments from me. I clearly have offended you with my advice - I will not offend you further.

Nope you haven't offended me.

It was 44' that got his nose out of joint as it appears I wasn't politically correct on his scale of etiquette conduct with my response to you.

I'm old school and I tend to call a spade a spade!

Accordingly I thought your response lacked in substance to the specifics of my ask and so said so and if that offended you it was not intended that way but to garnish more in-depth information.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:14   #74

Ok, if the crazed mob has completed its lynching ,lets get back on subject and help ALIAS
to select a boat.
Good bridge deck clearance seems like a nice asset, and a clear tunnel has its benefits.
All in agreement so far?
Moving right along ,probably best to steer clear of ones made of balsa however.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:44   #75
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Ahem - its in my signature lineLast time I looked it said "marine service provider" which could mean anything.
Signature line mate - not up in the left where it says Marine Service Provider, but immediately below what I am typing - its in blue - look down a bit - thats it - look down a line more - there it is.

Tags
deck