Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-01-2015, 09:08   #16

Boat: cat. robertson&caine leopard 45
Send a message via Yahoo to catamaran nadja Send a message via Skype™ to catamaran nadja
Re: CAT BRIDGE DECK CLEARANCES??

Hi,
I have a Leopard 45 and my cat is the one with the lower deck clerance , last year we did around 3000 nm in mediteranean with diferent weather condition and I can tell you that no big deal if the weather is realy bad and I mean realy bad over 4 bofors you will have from time to time a hit from the waves under your feats but outside the dipleasure nothing realy to worry you .
On the other hand the holding is much more eficent and the boat tangeles much less from left to right than other catamarans.
I have the boat for more than 10 years have done the hole meediteranean and belive me have never had any real problem because of my very low brige clearance withe the boat fully loaded I have around 90 cm witch is very low some of the other models are all around 100 and 120 cm , but will repeat again do not take this as must when you decide about your vessel
regards
cat nadja

Old 06-01-2015, 09:31   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by catamaran nadja View Post
my very low brige clearance withe the boat fully loaded I have around 90 cm
90cm is quite high, actually. That is over 35" for those in the US, Liberia and Burma.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:43   #18

Boat: cat. robertson&caine leopard 45
Send a message via Yahoo to catamaran nadja Send a message via Skype™ to catamaran nadja

hi Mark ,
do need to confirm one thing the 90 cm is the clearance at the center of the boat , there are lover points futher down like steps my estimate is that they can be no more that 15/20 cm lower of the initial brige ...
regards
Old 06-01-2015, 14:59   #19

Boat: ADAMS BLUE WATER 30

Take it this 1993 Catana 39 has got it right but imagine due to the slender hulls that the accommodation has got its limitations.

Old 06-01-2015, 15:03   #20
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now working Syd Harbour charters

Welcome to CF!

FWIW our unprofessional (albeit based on sailing a lot of cats and now with >20000nm on our vessel) view on bridge deck clearance would be something like this...

• bridgedeck clearance is an important safety and comfort factor, especially if you intend to sail fully loaded in big seas
  • even if all the vessel builders used the same measurement standards for bridgedeck clearance (which they don't, unfortunately) the raw measurement will take you no more than half way to determining whether a particular vessel will be prone to slamming
  • hull shape is critically important...increased load (from either above or from the sea state...or both!) will depress clearance much more rapidly where hull displacement per vessel length is smaller...i.e. fat hulls are harder to push into the water (and thus will hold bridgedeck clearance better) than skinny ones!
  • bridgedeck shape is also relevant...there are a number of designs intended to reduce the effects of slamming by breaking up the waves...some work better than others, but all work better than a dead flat surface
  • all cats will slam in the 'right' conditions, but there are many (most definitely including the L440) that are both very safe and comfortable
Good luck in your search!
Old 06-01-2015, 15:19   #21
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIAS View Post
Take it this 1993 Catana 39 has got it right but imagine due to the slender hulls that the accommodation has got its limitations.

That's a ton of clearance for a motorboat.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 15:27   #22

Boat: ADAMS BLUE WATER 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
That's a ton of clearance for a motorboat.

Boat had.....

"Mast / Rigging ALUMINUM ALLOY 16m-52.5ft original mast; new generation ACRON DUX SYNTHETIC RIGGING NEW in Jan 2014"

so one can conclude the pic was taken when the boat was re rigged.

Begs the question though how much would it sink once the weight of the rig was added?

To the top of the anti foul ????
Old 06-01-2015, 15:54   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Boat had.....

"Mast / Rigging ALUMINUM ALLOY 16m-52.5ft original mast; new generation ACRON DUX SYNTHETIC RIGGING NEW in Jan 2014"

so one can conclude the pic was taken when the boat was re rigged.

Begs the question though how much would it sink once the weight of the rig was added?

As a wild guess, including mast section, halyards, rigging, wiring, radar, lights, antena, furler, fittings, sails, battens, spinaker, storm jib, proder, etc, etc getting close to 500 kg.
But this is nothing compared to supplies, water, fuel, spares, toys and human flesh.

Who knows what the sinkage rate is at this displacement. Maybe the internet blogs of similar vessels out cruising may help
On a related subject
anything with transom extensions 'post production" will have lower than designed clearance,
and the extra reserve bouancy aft will cause the vessel to sail more bow down when pressed, than the designer intended .
Old 06-01-2015, 15:54   #24

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: Cat Bridge Deck Clearances?

Does this one have enough?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wamv.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	95098  
Old 06-01-2015, 15:59   #25
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Cat Bridge Deck Clearances?

Catana's do have a good clearance. So does St. Francis and Antaries. Mines not bad but the boat is so heavy that the momentum can cause pretty good slams when less then 45 degrees off the wind/wave train. There's such a huge difference between wave slap's and actual slamming. It may well be a safety issue but what really gets to you is the sound of slamming after days of it.

It would have been informative to have found out what caused the hull failure of the Lagoon 500 "One World" that sunk her. Palarran took a monstrous beating for 72 hours 3 years ago in the Atlantic. Quite honestly I was surprised she didn't suffer any structural failures. Maybe it was because she was well built, maybe because we were lucky, but I for sure wished there was an extra 6" of clearance at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00652.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	95099  

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 16:20   #26

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:

I doubt it. And we don't know what stuff was on it when the picture was taken. Full of tools for the refit?

Let's assume for the moment that Catana has determined their anti foul lines similarly over the years for all their models. My boat when full up loaded for a 7 month cruise still has about 4 inches of anti foul exposed. I gain about an inch max over the course of a cruise which is entirely due to consumption of food stuffs + whatever tools I've lost overboard + lost fishing baits and hats....

2 Hulls Dave
Old 06-01-2015, 16:31   #27
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
As a wild guess, including mast section, halyards, rigging, wiring, radar, lights, antena, furler, fittings, sails, battens, spinaker, storm jib, proder, etc, etc getting close to 500 kg.
But this is nothing compared to supplies, water, fuel, spares, toys and human flesh.

Who knows what the sinkage rate is at this displacement. Maybe the internet blogs of similar vessels out cruising may help
On a related subject
anything with transom extensions 'post production" will have lower than designed clearance,
and the extra reserve bouancy aft will cause the vessel to sail more bow down when pressed, than the designer intended .

I don't understand how post production stern extensions will have lower than designed clearances as they are adding some buoyancy. It seems that most the boats with post production stern extensions have greatly gained from those. There are also quite a few manufacturers that lengthened the sterns on their vessels, some more than twice! The ones that come to mind are Manta, Island Spirit, PDQ, Seawind and I'm sure many more. All these boats were improved with the extended sterns.
Old 06-01-2015, 16:41   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Let's assume for the moment that Catana has determined their anti foul lines similarly over the years for all their models.
That is a big assumption, given the large difference between pre- and post-1993 Catana models.
Old 06-01-2015, 16:54   #29

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I don't understand how post production stern extensions will have lower than designed clearances as they are adding some buoyancy. It seems that most the boats with post production stern extensions have greatly gained from those. There are also quite a few manufacturers that lengthened the sterns on their vessels, some more than twice! The ones that come to mind are Manta, Island Spirit, PDQ, Seawind and I'm sure many more. All these boats were improved with the extended sterns.
Quite right. I dont agree either. My boats design - Phisa 42 - is the catana 401 mould lengthened in the mould at the stern to amoungst other things carry more weight aft (think bigger tender basically). It doesnt sail bow down when pressed at all probably as the design has been better matched to the real world load placement.
Old 06-01-2015, 17:12   #30

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird1111 View Post
That is a big assumption, given the large difference between pre- and post-1993 Catana models.
Sheese. I said "let's assume". That includes a rather large range of assumptions. So, please enlighten me as to what took place in 93 and why didn't you include 98 and 02? Hmmmm?

2 Hulls Dave

Tags
deck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: