Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-01-2015, 21:00   #151

Boat: ADAMS BLUE WATER 30
Re: Cat Bridge Deck Clearances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Firstly, Ross McCombe is a quality builder, so its probably built well.
As a quick check look along the chines whilst standing infront of or behind the boat. Evenness of the chine lines says alot about the quality of the build.
It is however a 10 year old Balsa boat, so depends on the previous owners care and maintenance as to the state of the core.

It does say GRP in the ad, You may find this is a typo with further enquires. I think this boat was originally built for Ross' brother from a flat pannel balsa kit, up near Yepoon qld.
From the pictures its already sitting on its lines so the extra stuff you can load on is going to be tiny.

Often with one motor , manouvering in reverse can be much easier in tight situation, rather than charging in bow first and having the bows blow off to leeward. (not always possible to escape from this situation without the assistence of a good lawyer.)
If one goes on the basis where the pic was taken would be prudent to assume its 'out there cruising' and has 'all the gear on board'..... but then maybe not.

Old 14-01-2015, 23:25   #152

Just had a call from the broker, got to give it to him for persist-ency compared to the others I've asked for info on their listings.

Anyways was able to get the rotating or not engine question answered and no it doesn't.

Oh and as I keep telling him I will need to run it by my team of experts (you Guys), he told me he will give a slab to all who will make the deal happen.

Who will sell their honor/integrity for a slab??

Old 14-01-2015, 23:45   #153

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Cat bridge clearance? Give me a break. How is that different from monohull sailboat/motor-vessel clearance?

Old 15-01-2015, 00:38   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Cat bridge clearance? Give me a break. How is that different from monohull sailboat/motor-vessel clearance?

Appears your English reading comprehension needs work!

Its CATAMARAN BRIDGE DECK CLEARANCE WE ARE DISCUSSING..... NOT BRIDGE CLEARANCE. DUH
Old 15-01-2015, 00:42   #155

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

ALIAS,

Mark is a USA based monohull powerboat owner who lusts after cats and requlary makes some very sharp posts on multihulls.

I was going to suggest he hadn't posted for a while.
Old 15-01-2015, 00:47   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
ALIAS,

Mark is a USA based monohull powerboat owner who lusts after cats and requlary makes some very sharp posts on multihulls.

'sharp' ???? after that post, he certainly has shown he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed!
Old 15-01-2015, 03:56   #157

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Anecdotal yes but also true.
I have an aquantaince who has a boat same build to the one in question.Great boat sails really well.
Now one outboard that's a different scenario this guy would be considered by most to be very experienced and capable skipper but trying to get that boat into tight marina berths such as the old dinghy dock finger at Abel Point marina ..forget it.Yeah I know we don't like marinas but likely in the life of the boat you will use plenty.
I got a basic idea of why they only have one engine but why would you unless sailing performance was your only criteria.
Inboards and outboards are relatively cheap in the overall scheme of a build.Cats have two hulls why not use them to advantage but Im sure there are plenty who will disagree.
Chris
Old 15-01-2015, 05:19   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Anecdotal yes but also true.
I have an aquantaince who has a boat same build to the one in question.Great boat sails really well.
Now one outboard that's a different scenario this guy would be considered by most to be very experienced and capable skipper but trying to get that boat into tight marina berths such as the old dinghy dock finger at Abel Point marina ..forget it.Yeah I know we don't like marinas but likely in the life of the boat you will use plenty.
I got a basic idea of why they only have one engine but why would you unless sailing performance was your only criteria.
Inboards and outboards are relatively cheap in the overall scheme of a build.Cats have two hulls why not use them to advantage but Im sure there are plenty who will disagree.
Chris
Hi Chris...thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

Curious......... if I read correct and you don't mind me asking, you have two Cats, why? and why two different breeds?
Old 15-01-2015, 05:25   #159
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIAS View Post
And if it does not rotate?

Whole different animal!
Old 15-01-2015, 05:32   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Whole different animal!
And as I said in a later post ..............It doesn't rotate.

And as Mirage Gecko stated, marina parking even for the experienced is not always possible.

Kinda thought the one engine was going to be an issue.
Old 15-01-2015, 05:46   #161
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
And as I said in a later post ..............It doesn't rotate.

And as Mirage Gecko stated, marina parking even for the experienced is not always possible.

Kinda thought the one engine was going to be an issue.

Just because it doesn't rotate doesn't mean it can't be made to rotate. Single non rotating motor would be a pain.
Old 15-01-2015, 07:10   #162
cruiser

Quote:

Then you should be asking this question of F-27 trimaran owners, because they have port-mounted fixed outboards. In a nutshell, you learn a lot about choosing your battles and how to back up
Old 15-01-2015, 14:34   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird1111 View Post
Then you should be asking this question of F-27 trimaran owners, because they have port-mounted fixed outboards. In a nutshell, you learn a lot about choosing your battles and how to back up
Thanks for the interesting feedback jaybird. Trying to fig out how 'asking this question of F-27 trimaran owners' is relevant to a Catamaran with one fixed engine but then I'm here to learn. Would have thought that having a trimaran with a port mounted engine would be more than a handful to manoeuvre into a marina pen, but hey I'm a newbie to this and that's why the questions.

Also not sure where your coming from with ' choosing your battles and how to back up' is related to wanting a Cat that with the ability to be parked easily at a marina.

Will be down at my local yacht club this weekend which is hosting the National Multihull Championships and assume there will be a F-27 amongst the brigade and I will check out their maneuverability when they come and go and see if I can get up close and personal and ask a few questions as well.

I like the 'KISS' principle especially when it comes to marina parking and if one 'system' is superior to another, why settle for one that could/will complicate things and as Seaslug Caravan said....' (not always possible to escape from this situation without the assistence of a good lawyer.)

cheers.
Old 15-01-2015, 18:01   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird1111

Just back from a trip to my yacht club and noted.....

Three Farrier Tris with outboards mounted on the starboard side of the center hull and one Corsair Tri with an outboard mounted on the portside of the center hull.

They were tied up against a run of floating marina with others rafted up against them and the wind was gusting 21knts from the west and nobody looked like leaving port so I was unable to make any manoeuvring observation.

Did ponder though that these lightweight sports Tris with their outer hulls that hardly penetrated the water would require much less effort to manoeuvre than a 7 ton plus Cat with two hulls much deeper in the water.

Would my ponderings be correct to conclude that a Tri manoeuvres more like a Mono than a Cat??

Cheers
Old 16-01-2015, 01:58   #165

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
ALIAS,

I can take your chiding. ... I find the frequent chest-beating, defensiveness, and evangelizing by multihull owners entertaining. It is difficult to contain a response. I will say multihulls are great for sitting on mudflats.

Tags
deck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: