Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-01-2015, 21:42   #136

Boat: ADAMS BLUE WATER 30
Re: Cat Bridge Deck Clearances?

Another question Guys..............would you buy a 33'9" cat that had one 20hp outboard as its engine?

Old 14-01-2015, 05:43   #137
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIAS View Post
Another question Guys..............would you buy a 33'9" cat that had one 20hp outboard as its engine?

Yes, why not?

Old 14-01-2015, 06:04   #138

Quote:
We went with one and swapped the 40hp for a 25hp and no regrets closing in on 1000hrs run time on the 25hp.

Know several people who have gone 15hp. I can see that being fine for 90% of conditions but there have been a few times fighting a strong current or headwind where we used all the 25hp. Too much less and I would have been worried about not being able to make headway.
Old 14-01-2015, 07:14   #139

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Depends on the intended use. My first four boats had no engines...

Daysailing? Sure. Even week ending. For an adventurous couple, longer range.

But if you want to go long range cruising with a family, a 33'9" cat would be a challenge no matter what its aux power is. But this would be more of a function of the family than of the boat. I've seen young families cruising on tiny monos having the time of their lives.

But no, I would not buy such a cat for cruising very far. I'd have trouble with power production needed to support the type of cruising I prefer.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 14-01-2015, 08:02   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Depends on the intended use. My first four boats had no engines...

Daysailing? Sure. Even week ending. For an adventurous couple, longer range.

But if you want to go long range cruising with a family, a 33'9" cat would be a challenge no matter what its aux power is. But this would be more of a function of the family than of the boat. I've seen young families cruising on tiny monos having the time of their lives.

But no, I would not buy such a cat for cruising very far. I'd have trouble with power production needed to support the type of cruising I prefer.

2 Hulls Dave
What type of power production are you missing?

Assuming the single outboard steers, it is far better than a single inboard for manuverability. Really not that far off from twin inboard capability once you learn to use it. (I'm assuming a boat designed for outboard power not just an outboard strapped on after the fact)

With our 25hp, I push up to hull speed, so not much point in more power.

If you are thinking electrical production, modern solar panels are better than running a diesel for hours a day with no load.
Old 14-01-2015, 08:28   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
What type of power production are you missing?
Who me? I'm not missing any...

Yes, I was referring to electric power.

For the type of cruising I prefer, electric power needs are for freezer, fridge, water maker, comms, cooking, house loads, and when under way adding AP and nav inst. I rely on solars and I have two alts on each engine. No get set. With reasonable sun, we have all the power we need just from solars except when underway overnight.

So yes, solars can do it with reasonable frugality and enough of them.

But the question was in regard to a 33'9" cat. The real estate needed for sufficient solars may be limited. Water capacity is probably limited, hence a water maker may be necessary. Little power production will come from an outboard. Battery bank is probably small. All this adds up to probably needing more electric production. A Honda 2000i or similar could do it.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 14-01-2015, 16:34   #142

Ok Guys....once again spirited feedback noted with thanks.

Now here's the beast in full glory for everyone's 2c's worth of feedback.

Schionning Wilderness 1030 Cruising Catamaran | Multihull Central

Old 14-01-2015, 17:03   #143

OK, now you're talking.

This is a much better sailing machine than the others you're mentioned. No contest.

But it depends on your intentions.

Even the ad portrays this as a coastal cruiser. You may be challenged for electric power production for extended cruising. The solars shown are not enough - probably - to keep you energized for long range. How big is the battery bank? What's the charging capability of the Honda? When you start adding nav equipment and autopilot you may be way behind the power curve. Maybe a small generator for charging batts can get you by. Good water capacity for not having a watermaker. This may define your cruising limit.

Too bad it has hydraulic steering. "Sensitive"? - rubbish. This will diminish the sailing pleasure.

But this looks like a hot boat. You're getting there.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 14-01-2015, 17:33   #144

Quote:
OK, now you're talking.

This is a much better sailing machine than the others you're mentioned. No contest.

But it depends on your intentions.

Even the ad portrays this as a coastal cruiser. You may be challenged for electric power production for extended cruising. The solars shown are not enough - probably - to keep you energized for long range. How big is the battery bank? What's the charging capability of the Honda? When you start adding nav equipment and autopilot you may be way behind the power curve. Maybe a small generator for charging batts can get you by. Good water capacity for not having a watermaker. This may define your cruising limit.

Too bad it has hydraulic steering. "Sensitive"? - rubbish. This will diminish the sailing pleasure.

But this looks like a hot boat. You're getting there.

2 Hulls Dave
Guessing a wind generator would do the job as it would work even at night providing there was sufficient wind.

Have some concerns/questions as to how effective the one centre positioned outboard would be in marina maneuvering as (I assuming) it does not rotate and there is no water passing over the rudders.

The outboard also appears to be mounted a fair way back from the stern.

????
Old 14-01-2015, 17:59   #145

Quote:
Guessing a wind generator would do the job as it would work even at night providing there was sufficient wind.
I considered and decided against wind gens for my own boat because they are marginal power producers - especially off the wind - and major noise producers. I encourage you to hear from others. Of course, those with wind gens will swear by them. My Admiral always scans an anchorage before we drop the hook for boats with wind gens to make sure we're positioned away from them. Then we invariably end up next to a gurgling gen set all night...

To be fair, some wind gens are not as noisy.

Quote:
Have some concerns/questions as to how effective the one centre positioned outboard would be in marina maneuvering as (I assuming) it does not rotate and there is no water passing over the rudders.
Even if it rotates, this boat will be a poor at close quarters maneuvering. A good reason to not frequent marinas.

But it's all a compromise. With those boards and light weight, this boat will be a sweet sailing machine. Again, too bad for the hydraulic steering....

2 Hulls Dave
Old 14-01-2015, 18:25   #146
cruiser

Firstly, Ross McCombe is a quality builder, so its probably built well.
As a quick check look along the chines whilst standing infront of or behind the boat. Evenness of the chine lines says alot about the quality of the build.
It is however a 10 year old Balsa boat, so depends on the previous owners care and maintenance as to the state of the core.

It does say GRP in the ad, You may find this is a typo with further enquires. I think this boat was originally built for Ross' brother from a flat pannel balsa kit, up near Yepoon qld.
From the pictures its already sitting on its lines so the extra stuff you can load on is going to be tiny.

Often with one motor , manouvering in reverse can be much easier in tight situation, rather than charging in bow first and having the bows blow off to leeward. (not always possible to escape from this situation without the assistence of a good lawyer.)
Old 14-01-2015, 18:43   #147
smj

Quote:
I considered and decided against wind gens for my own boat because they are marginal power producers - especially off the wind - and major noise producers. I encourage you to hear from others. Of course, those with wind gens will swear by them. My Admiral always scans an anchorage before we drop the hook for boats with wind gens to make sure we're positioned away from them. Then we invariably end up next to a gurgling gen set all night...

To be fair, some wind gens are not as noisy.

Even if it rotates, this boat will be a poor at close quarters maneuvering. A good reason to not frequent marinas.

But it's all a compromise. With those boards and light weight, this boat will be a sweet sailing machine. Again, too bad for the hydraulic steering....

2 Hulls Dave

A single rotating outboard can be as close to maneuverable and in some cases more maneuverable than a twin screw if handled by someone with experience.
Old 14-01-2015, 18:58   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
A single rotating outboard can be as close to maneuverable and in some cases more maneuverable than a twin screw if handled by someone with experience.
I'll defer to you on this as I've never handled one - except power monos. But of course, you won't get the boat in question to spin in place.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 14-01-2015, 19:52   #149
smj

Quote:
I'll defer to you on this as I've never handled one - except power monos. But of course, you won't get the boat in question to spin in place.

2 Hulls Dave

You would be surprised how easily you can get the single screw to spin in place. Definitely more work with the wheel but a surprising amount of control.
Old 14-01-2015, 20:55   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post

And if it does not rotate?

Tags
deck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: