Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-10-2014, 18:26   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Re: Caribbean and Pacific Crossing questions

I can tell you are hung up partially on the "adventure" part of the original boat. And if you pull it off it certainly will be an adventure to remember.

The US market is enticing becuase face it, there are just a heck of a lot of boats over there.

Unfortunately, like most of us, you are chained to a job for a while and that makes the logistics of a boat delivery quite daunting.

And as you note, we haven't even talked about solo sailing half-way round the marble...

I hate to say it but if you don't get hung up an a particualr type of boat (cat, tri, etc...) in 15-18 months there is usually a step aboard boat for sale somewhere in Austral-Asia that would be an easy catch. Just be ready to pull the trigger.

A boat in the water already doing it has the advantage that usually you can defer a lot of stuff on your list of repairs and upgrades. i.e. the boat was doing it yesterday, why won't it presumably do it for a few more months while I take it home?

PS - I don't really troll the for sale sites much. I do have a couple of saved searches on boats.com - Asia mulit's and Asia mono's 36-45' - and check them once in a while.

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 21:27   #32

Ex-Calif, your advice unfortunately is making too much sense.

Nothing particular closed down the idea, just the build up of risks etc has sapped me a little of enthusiasm and I suspect that is a pretty good sign this is not the project for me.

Thanks to anyone for your advice and time.

Old 30-10-2014, 03:12   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

I hope I didn't kill any dreams as I didn't mean to.

Your spreadsheet had all the main ideas in it and if the boat was closer it would meke a lot more sense to me. Crossong the pacific is a huge undertaking if you have no time constraints.

With time block constraints it could be aweful. Image having to wait out some big weather areas for a week or so. That would either kill your time plan or may put the temptation to "go anyway" in front of you.

Anyway - I hope you find the boat you want and it just pops up like magic...

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: