Some comments on your costs spreadsheet.
1. Pretty cheap surveyor
at $6.50 a foot. See this rate card How much does a marine survey cost?
2. Pretty cheap engine
and rig survey
. Probably at least x2. for a decent job. Are there any good
riggers near the boat?
3.Is that insurance
while in the US only? Full insurance
to cover the crossing will likely be more.
4. Standing rigging. Are you doing this work? If not, x2
5. Running rigging. I just paid almost that much to replace my Genoa sheets
- you have $300. What are you going to tie it to? $450 worth of line? Do you need big snatch blocks to set it up?
7. Can't imagine why you would want 2 EPIRBs and 2 PLBs while on a budget.
8. Must be a good deal on the $200 laptop
. Which one?
9. HF Radio
. What about the costs of all the installation
miscellaneous, coax, connectors, power wire, breaker, antenna
Maker - is this one of those emergency
in the ditch bag ones? If so, many on EBay need the membrane replaced -- upping the cost.
- a $250 AP is not going to last long offshore
on that boat.
- no chart plotter or do you plan to use the laptop
? What about installation
costs, like power wiring etc.
13. Fridge - is this an ice box or an electric
- change all the filters, oil
and belts. It ain't free. Then load up on filters and oil
for the crossing.
15. Solar panels
- you can get better deals than what you listed for the panels
alone. The costs of the mounting hardware
, wiring and controller will be more than the panels
in many cases.
16. Panama - about right for the Canal Authority part. Add in cruising permit
and visas for 2 ($300). Then add in your stay in Shelter Bay Marina while waiting for your transit - a significant added cost. Really no good anchoring
17. You skipping the Galapagos? $1000 to stop.
18. What about the flights, rental car etc for the trips back to work on the boat? I thought you mentioned 3 or 4 over a year. Maybe another 15 grand.
- do you really want to head
into SP with a tender
that is falling a part? A new one is in the $1500 to $4000 range. No outboard
20. Anchor/chain - this is not a place to skimp
21. Repair bucket - if the boat hasn't been used for years, then there will be a fair number of items that don't work or don't work for long. It all adds up -- quickly.
Not trying to throw water
on your fire. You asked for the feedback. Its all doable, but costs are going to end up a bunch higher than you plan.