Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2011, 12:36   #61

Re: Cardio Equipment on Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
We put electric windlasses on our bows, electric winches in our cockpits, roller furlers on our jibs, outboards on our dinghys, washer/dryers in our cabins, diesel engines in our bilges, autopilots on our helms...and then scratch our heads raw wondering how we can get more exercise on board. This is what makes sailors such interesting folk.
To be fair, it’s not just sailors. We drive where we could walk or bike. We ride elevators and escalators instead of using the stairs. We use remote controls instead of getting our fat asses off the couch. We turn faucets to get our water instead of hand-pumping it out of the ground. We have our washers and dryers and we use them. We cook and heat with electricity instead of cutting down trees and chopping the wood… and then we spend billions of dollars on health club memberships and home exercise equipment. Go figure.
Adamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 14:44   #62

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamante View Post
...we spend billions of dollars on health club memberships and home exercise equipment. Go figure.

Why would anybody want to spend money when you can use your boat as your gym? Going up and down the mast has got to be very demanding

By the way, I am not ready to invest myself into an intense workout. The reason I can not run is because I have a partial paralysis on my right side. It is not all that bad but it is still there and I can not regain the coordination I use to have. I tried to walk on a beam a few years ago and even if my legs were strong enough to control the movement, I have a balance problem to deal with. Also, I have arthritis in my spinal cord and I cannot over do it or else, pain will come and meet me

I understand what you are saying about mds, you have to find THE one and it is not always easy.

Best of luck in your research!!

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 07:00   #63

Boat: Tayana 48

I would agree with Rebel Heart...Very seldom will you find yourself for very long off shoreside. If you do, it would mean you like to sail more than explore the country side. After all sailing is only a way to get to someplace.

I have run hundreds of miles on the beaches barefooted. We keep two full sized (29er) mountain bikes aboard a Island Packet 40. We have put thousands of miles on these in many locals. Very nice.

If you want to stay competitive, does boating really work for you? I have found yoga helps me quell some of my competitve intensity...some.
D Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 15:20   #64

Boat: Grainger cat

Always nice to slip into a parallel universe now and again.

Exercise machines on a yacht?

MikeReed100, you are on the money.

Gotta go now; I must lay down and wiggle my toes.
ocean_groover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 15:10   #65

So I finally had a chance to check out foldable Voit equipment. Not impressed with the quality - don't think it will last long.

The sliding carpet sounds better and better - light, compact, does not consume electricity, can do high intensity workout. Thanks, Adamante!
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 13:09   #66

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

What about swimming? I always heard it is one of the best excercises ever. Works every muscle in your body. Sailing and swimming. Got to be a good match.
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 13:40   #67
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
What about swimming? I always heard it is one of the best excercises ever. Works every muscle in your body. Sailing and swimming. Got to be a good match.
I like swimming a lot but...

This is a rather weak logical fallacy. Was the human frame designed for swimming, or was it designed for hiking, reaching, climbing, and running? The latter, of course. So while swimming is low-impact, it can be very rough on shoulders, requires a water temperature that is just so, and does not effectively work the legs. In fact, it is rather sport-specific and does not work the muscles in either a very useful way nor does it work the largest muscle groups effectively.

Exercise is always sport specific; even cycling and running are VERY different.
Old 19-05-2012, 14:07   #68

Swimming, just like free diving is awesome on anchorages and we always do it - there're almost no better ways to wake up than a swim off the transom before breakfast.

My original question had more to do with cardio on long passages... swimming might be good in that case too but for me scary in the middle of the ocean.
Old 19-05-2012, 14:13   #69

Strangely I have never swum less than I do now I live aboard. Used to swim every day in a warm pool, half time arms only, half with fins. Now there are often reasons why you can't swim. Strong currents, murky flood waters full of branches, sharks ( locals tell you not to swim in Sydney harbour or Morton Bay) or we just need to be sailing. Even when conditions are nice and we go snorkeling you don't want to charge along, you are there to see the fish and coral!.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 14:22   #70

Actually I find anchorages with strong currents the best for a good workout. You trail a safety line behind the transom and swim to just keep up with the boat. If you do it with a mask on, you'll also see all the marine life around. The best is when eagle rays are keeping up with you
Old 19-05-2012, 14:49   #71

Forgot to mention the crocodiles......
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 17:10   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
Swimming, just like free diving is awesome on anchorages and we always do it - there're almost no better ways to wake up than a swim off the transom before breakfast.

My original question had more to do with cardio on long passages... swimming might be good in that case too but for me scary in the middle of the ocean.
May I ask what the reason is for Cardio? There is a lot of misconception about this area. If it is for being healthy and loosing weight Cardio is not the best way. Diet is 80% then keeping your heart rate up a bit but not cardio will burn fat most. Also doing full body workouts NOT JUST YOUR LEGS is way more effective. Get a good set of bands. Here are some exercises you could do on a boat. The key is short breaks. Your heart will be pounding and instead of just working your legs you work your whole body. I like running and cycling too but not the best thing for loosing weight and getting in good shape.

You could switch the jumprope for running on the spot knees high.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-05-20 at 9.07.35 AM.png
Views:	192
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	41254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-05-20 at 9.07.51 AM.png
Views:	158
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	41255  

Mike w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 18:01   #73

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

I want to learn workouts to help me lose weight. Even my socks are too snug. Is it possible to find a seamstress to let out your socks?
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 18:18   #74
Lt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missou
The TRX is a great idea except that it requires you to work in an open room such as the trampoline on a catamaran if I am not mistaking. Then again, I don't have the TRX so I can't really talk about it

I am also thinking about the Insanity workout with Shaun T. It only requires your body, some weights and some room to move. That one I have and it can be insane!!
Insanity Workout - Extreme Home Workout DVD - Insanity Workout Reviews - beachbody.com

There is also the P90X you can look at P90X One On One - Flying High After P90X? With P90X One On One You'll Take It Up A Notch - Beachbody.com

You can also try some Pilates, some yoga or some fitness ball workout
Slide show: Core exercises with a fitness ball - MayoClinic.com Trying to keep your balance in heavy weather while doing them is an excellent full body workout and the equipment doesn't take a lot of room on your boat!

You have a lot of options to choose from without overgrowding your boat or adding some weight to it. Good luck with your search
I CAN VOUCH FOR P90X, and insanity! Though I've only done p90x, but insanity is from the same people.
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 19:27   #75
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
I want to learn workouts to help me lose weight. Even my socks are too snug. Is it possible to find a seamstress to let out your socks?
everyone knows folks in kali do not wear sox--ditch em and stop choking yerself==ye will feel good enough to take long walks and lose weight before sailing off into sunset....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment