Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-02-2012, 09:24   #91

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Carbon or Aluminium Mast ?

Could someone explain to me why they don't have to apply "paint" on epoxy carbon fiber masts for protection from UV degradation. Awful lot of clear black CF masts out there.

Old 28-02-2012, 09:31   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Could someone explain to me why they don't have to apply "paint" on epoxy carbon fiber masts for protection from UV degradation. Awful lot of clear black CF masts out there.
CF by itself isn't degraded by UV. Not sure about the epoxy though.

Old 28-02-2012, 10:34   #93

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

It's the epoxy I was wondering about.
Old 28-02-2012, 10:53   #94

You can be sure that the ones you think aren't painted, are painted with clearcoat. It is my experience that clearcoat doesn't last particularly long, it's a PITA, needs redoing with some frequency. But the mast is beautiful.

My big boat also has a carbon mast, but it's painted with AwlGrip. Definitely the smarter way to do it.
Old 28-02-2012, 10:56   #95
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 35, Corroboree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
In general, mast builders DO have to apply paint to carbon fiber masts. Most CF masts are painted. Those that are not painted you will most likely find on top notch racing boats where the designers and crews take weight aloft very seriously. Not painting the mast eliminates a few pounds of fairing compound and the paint--every ounce matters. Every cruising carbon fiber mast that I have ever dealt with has been painted. The paint protects the epoxy resin which, if unpainted, will degrade under ultraviolet light. CF masts will last longer if painted. A racing boat necessarily has a short life expectancy, and the owners are not concerned with longevity. They are more concerned with weight aloft, and so they may forego the paint on the mast.

Eric
ewsponberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 11:38   #96

Boat: Maxum 37'

On a completely different topic,...or maybe it isn't.

Competition tennis rackets. They are required to be strong, (strings tensioned sometimes to over 100lbs). Lightweight, (every fraction of a gram slows them down), and able to take repeated impacts to either a small furry ball, or concrete pavement without chipping, cracking, weakening, bending, etc... in a small handheld package.

My first tennis racket was wood, the second - aluminum I beams, the third - tubular aluminum alloy paper thin and strenghtened by computer designed shape. The fourth was graphite. My latest one ceramic composite.

Each was a breakthrough in materials, and design. At first incredibly expensive, then the price lowered and the quality increased, until now you can buy a state of the art racket for under $20.00, that used to cost hundreds. Once upon a time the expensive rackets, (prince), were an order of magnatude better, lighter, stronger, than the el-cheapo K-mart racket, now there is in fact very little difference in performance, (Some tennis racket marketers may dissagree).

The long and short of it is; few of us have pine post masts. Aluminum is a good material and has served a long life by being low cost, and strong, and high degree of corrosion resistance. Carbon fiber is the next material to become cheap enough to build a mast out of. The newer mast materials will need less rigging to reinforce, and have less weight and more strength.

Someday I can't wait to try a new ceramic composit hull with a nanofiber mast.
Old 28-02-2012, 16:39   #97
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

The first time I encountered a carbon fiber mast was on my father's Freedom 33 (a cruising boat). From my experiences with insurance companies, they will use any excuse possible to raise the premiums, any different construction or materiel is always a good excuse. My boat was built of wood, finished with fiberglass, technically a composite, I had to look around to find someone that wouldn't charge me "wood rates" .
Old 28-02-2012, 16:54   #98

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
The first time I encountered a carbon fiber mast was on my father's Freedom 33 (a cruising boat). From my experiences with insurance companies, they will use any excuse possible to raise the premiums, any different construction or materiel is always a good excuse. My boat was built of wood, finished with fiberglass, technically a composite, I had to look around to find someone that wouldn't charge me "wood rates" .
wolfenzee,
If I understood your post you are saying that the Ins Co charge a higher rate for "wood rates" then a composite?? Would have thought that wood having been used for centuries would have been the cheapest! Am new to this type of boat ownership so thanks for posting that little tidbit.

PS Luv your Jimmy Buffet Quote. One of my fav's also!

John
Old 28-02-2012, 17:25   #99
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Insurance companies charge more for wood than glass, most insurance companies wanted to list mine as a wood...with the appropriate premiums. Considering my boat is strip planked and over built as is then the builder glassed it ( before launching) the resulting construction resulted in a "tight little ship" and one insurance broker who recognized that classified it as a fiber glass boat...unfortunatly that company is just offer liability within 75miles of my home port.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:31   #100

Boat: home made
Send a message via Skype™ to mietchan

any suggestion where to get it and deliver to thailand?
Thank you
Old 06-10-2012, 13:14   #101

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Not so sure about how to classify Corsairs, but for some time they have used rotating CF masts. They seem to have a reasonably good record, especially when the boats they are on are not modified and raced hard.

The older Corsairs had aluminum non rotating masts and they seemed to work well.

One consideration for the Corsairs is that is a fairly cheap and easy task to lower the mast to facilitate a close inspection. Maybe some Corsair owners could weigh in on their experience with CF masts.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:44   #102

Boat: Flying Scott - 19ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
On a completely different topic,...or maybe it isn't.

Competition tennis rackets. They are required to be strong, (strings tensioned sometimes to over 100lbs). Lightweight, (every fraction of a gram slows them down), and able to take repeated impacts to either a small furry ball, or concrete pavement without chipping, cracking, weakening, bending, etc... in a small handheld package.

My first tennis racket was wood, the second - aluminum I beams, the third - tubular aluminum alloy paper thin and strenghtened by computer designed shape. The fourth was graphite. My latest one ceramic composite.

Each was a breakthrough in materials, and design. At first incredibly expensive, then the price lowered and the quality increased, until now you can buy a state of the art racket for under $20.00, that used to cost hundreds. Once upon a time the expensive rackets, (prince), were an order of magnatude better, lighter, stronger, than the el-cheapo K-mart racket, now there is in fact very little difference in performance, (Some tennis racket marketers may dissagree).

The long and short of it is; few of us have pine post masts. Aluminum is a good material and has served a long life by being low cost, and strong, and high degree of corrosion resistance. Carbon fiber is the next material to become cheap enough to build a mast out of. The newer mast materials will need less rigging to reinforce, and have less weight and more strength.

Someday I can't wait to try a new ceramic composit hull with a nanofiber mast.
I don't know tennis rackets but i know hockey sticks and love the new composites, technology is leaps and bounds better than when i was a kid and the prices are coming down all the time.

Tags
mast

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: