Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2014, 07:11   #1

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Capsized Atlantic 57 Salvaged

Newt this is for you. I just posted on the other thread and then Googled Anna Capsized and got this.
Capsized Anna Salvaged and Seen in Niue | Tahina Expedition
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	annasalvaged.jpg
Views:	1531
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	94062  
Old 21-12-2014, 07:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Capsized Atlantic 57 Salvaged

Thanks Crabby, is this the Chris White boat? It really brings the point across that these boats don't sink, they just flip.
Guess I will have to start looking for another one
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 07:33   #3

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

That's the one. The blog is here including the capsize.
Home
Old 22-12-2014, 04:49   #4

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Thanks Crabby, is this the Chris White boat? It really brings the point across that these boats don't sink, they just flip.
Guess I will have to start looking for another one
Sometimes...On another thread there is a story of another that that did not capsize but sunk due to a broken hatch.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 04:59   #5

Building a multihull that does not retain positive buoyancy, whether inverted or rittled full of holes, should be considered a criminal act.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 05:12   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Building a multihull that does not retain positive buoyancy, whether inverted or rittled full of holes, should be considered a criminal act.
Why should that criterium be different than for monos? Lots of those sunk also.

And a criminal act? Really?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 05:29   #7

I would say more that building a cruising cat with a length/beam ratio of >2 (like Anna) should be a criminal act. Not that I know anything really, but I would want to aim for L/B closer to 1.5 if I ever went a bit funny and wanted to buy a cat...
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 05:43   #8
cruiser

Chris White on the capsize

Mr White himself has made a statement and the article is quite good:

Chris White Designs
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 05:46   #9

Yeah, criminal. We have so many stupid laws, at least positive buoyancy on multihulls makes sense and can usually be achieved without significantly impinging on living space or having a negative impact on performance given the fact that multihulls are by their nature compartmentalized.

Positive buoyancy on a lead mine monohull? Inverted, full of holes? You're smarter than that, at least I think you are. Or maybe not. Perhaps you would like to argue why they should be the same?
Old 22-12-2014, 05:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
I would say more that building a cruising cat with a length/beam ratio of >2 (like Anna) should be a criminal act. Not that I know anything really, but I would want to aim for L/B closer to 1.5 if I ever went a bit funny and wanted to buy a cat...
The A57 has a L/B of 2.03, which is for all intents 2. A L/B of 1.5 on a 57' boat would be a 38' beam. This would be closer to a trimaran number - way too square for a catamaran.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 22-12-2014, 05:57   #11

Quote:
Yeah, criminal. We have so many stupid laws, at least positive buoyancy on multihulls makes sense and can usually be achieved without significantly impinging on living space or having a negative impact on performance given the fact that multihulls are by their nature compartmentalized.

Positive buoyancy on a lead mine monohull? Inverted, full of holes? You're smarter than that, at least I think you are. Or maybe not. Perhaps you would like to argue why they should be the same?
I think calling for certain designs to be criminalized is hyperbole, and you are smarter than that. But even if so, why shouldn't mono's be held to the same standard? Doesn't make sense for them not to.

And the lead is not the issue - there are positively bouyant mono designs.

Mark

Old 22-12-2014, 06:01   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Stupid question as I'm not a Cat sailor, just barely a sailor actually.

I've often wondered why an overload device isn't fitted to the main sheet?
Yes it could cause problems once you have lost control of the boom, and the boom could even be fatal, but it would be like an air bag in your car, that is the accidents happening, all your trying to do is lessen the blow. It should prevent capsize, extremely rare though as they are.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 07:08   #13

You're right I am being silly. Given the fact that most multihull designs can be readily adapted to retain positive buoyancy and provide a habitable survival platform either inverted or full of holes, I would think it a shame they are not all made this way.

I read Chris White's excellent book "The Cruising Multihull" when it was first published and have been a huge multihull fanboy ever since. For better or worse I have ended up with a mono and I acccept the fact that my home may someday sink beneath me, as to convert my boat into one that would not sink and function as a habitable survival platform in the inverted position or full of holes would likely otherwise render it non-functional for it's intended purpose.

I have considered most of my options and about the best I can hope to do is to install a watertight collision bulkhead in the bow. I hope that is enough but I am open to any suggestions.
Old 22-12-2014, 07:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Stupid question as I'm not a Cat sailor, just barely a sailor actually.

I've often wondered why an overload device isn't fitted to the main sheet?
Yes it could cause problems once you have lost control of the boom, and the boom could even be fatal, but it would be like an air bag in your car, that is the accidents happening, all your trying to do is lessen the blow. It should prevent capsize, extremely rare though as they are.
My boat (mono) came equipped with mid-boom sheeting that lead to a self-tailing winch mounted on the cabin top. The first thing I did when I got the boat was to get rid of the wheel and install a tiller. The second thing I did was to get rid of the mid-boom sheeting and put the mainsheet back in the cockpit. This change allows me to drive the boat from anywhere in the cockpit with the mainsheet in my hand, ready to be eased in an instant.

Of course this arrangement is not so convenient when sitting at the dock, but in my mind getting knocked down because you can't ease your mainsheet at a moment's notice is worse.

Old 22-12-2014, 07:21   #15

Quote:
You're right I am being silly. Given the fact that most multihull designs can be readily adapted to retain positive buoyancy and provide a habitable survival platform either inverted or full of holes, I would think it a shame they are not all made this way.

I read Chris White's excellent book "The Cruising Multihull" when it was first published and have been a huge multihull fanboy ever since. For better or worse I have ended up with a mono and I acccept the fact that my home may someday sink beneath me, as to convert my boat into one that would not sink and function as a habitable survival platform in the inverted position or full of holes would likely otherwise render it non-functional for it's intended purpose.

I have considered most of my options and about the best I can hope to do is to install a watertight collision bulkhead in the bow. I hope that is enough but I am open to any suggestions.
I would not worry about it, odds are you and I will die of something much more common that tearing a big hole in the hull and sinking. There are many yachts crossing oceans and while some have lost keels and others have broken up it is still a very rare thing to happen and I guess this is why it grips our imagination so much. Comparing the cruising lifestyle to most other things I have toyed with most of my life I think its a good bet that cruising is one of the safer things to do with ones time.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, salvage, size