Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 09:24   #16

Re: Cape Horn re. cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Wambam, I think smj and barnakiel gave you very good advice re: outboards versus inboards.

All boats are a compromise. Perfection does not exist. Not with boats, nor life partners. Not with anything.

When looking for our last boat, outboards were on our wish list, along with various other items. We could not find any boat that hit all the items on our wish list. But, in the end, we ended up with a 40´ cat with petrol outboards. It is great for sailing, we simply tilt them up, reduce the drag and sail away. Right now, we are in the harbour in Papeete, Tahiti, and there is a problem with one outboard. It took 10 minutes to lift it out of its well and drop it in the cockpit.

Last year, we replaced an outboard in Aruba. I made the decision in the morning and by that afternoon, the new outboard was installed and running. So easy! No thru-hulls, no fumes inside the boat, bla bla.

The downside is that they cop a beating from the spray even when you tilt them up. If they are in a well, they are hidden. If they are hanging off the transom they can be stolen quite easily.

It is all a compromise, mate. Don´t worry about it. Just a buy a boat that hits most of the items in your wish list!
Thanks. . . I hear ya. and. . . it makes sense. Mainly the ease of fitting, fixing and, of course, the advantage of tilting. At first the mileage for diesels appealed to me but that likely came from the influence of my Scottish ancestors wanting to save a buck. . Take care.
wambam is offline   Reply With Quote