Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-04-2016, 14:51   #1

Question Canadians sailing out/back from Florida

Hoping someone with Canadian experience can explain how it works with US Customs, the plan in the future is to purchase, pay taxes, update and store Cat in Florida till the following fall. No issues with Customs on this.

This is the part I am unsure of, in the fall we fly to Florida, spend time needed preparing then board our Cat & sail the Bahamas for 5 months.

Sail back to Florida and dry land storage till the next season. How is Customs dealt with leaving and returning

I hope this request makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Old 19-04-2016, 15:44   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Canadians sailing out/back from Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrioux View Post
Hoping someone with Canadian experience can explain how it works with US Customs, the plan in the future is to purchase, pay taxes, update and store Cat in Florida till the following fall. No issues with Customs on this.

This is the part I am unsure of, in the fall we fly to Florida, spend time needed preparing then board our Cat & sail the Bahamas for 5 months.

Sail back to Florida and dry land storage till the next season. How is Customs dealt with leaving and returning

I hope this request makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your response.
Taking you at your word that you will sail in the Bahamas for five months that seems to mean you will store your boat in Florida for seven months. The rule of thumb is if you keep a boat in Florida for more than 90 days you have to register your boat in Florida. Customs in both the Bahamas and the US are mostly interested in ships papers showing ownership of the boat and where the boat is registered. So if you buy the boat in Florida and register it there you should have no problems with customs as long as you have the papers to show ownership and registration.

Old 19-04-2016, 15:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: waiting out the 2017 Hurricane Season in Ft Pierce FL
Boat: Morgan 462 ketch

I just bought a boat in Louisiana and am bringing it back to Canada on its own bottom presently. My understanding from discussing this with the CBP at the Port of New Orleans is that you will need a cruising permit when you have completed the purchase or you can get a "Clearence To Proceed" by filling in a form 1300. At that point your free to move the boat but without the cruising permit you have to file another form 1300 at every subsequent U S Port you arrive at. Frankly the Cruising Permit is the way to go. Further, having BR numbers assigned to you and your crew as a function of you all having NEXUS cards really eases the complexity of checking in with CBP. As far as leaving the US for the Bahamas, I don't believe it really makes any difference to CBP. Bahamas customs will want to know your boat registration but from your initial post it seems that you're going to have that resolved. Although I'm not sure whether you're planning on registering the boat and paying taxes in Canada or in the US. When you return to U S waters, you would check in using the same cruising permit or by filling in the form 1300. Sorry for the long winded reply. Hope it helps!
Old 19-04-2016, 20:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Your best bet is to register the boat in FL and fly an american flag. No problem with going to Bahamas with state registration. No need for a cruising permit ..go anywhere a US boat can without silly restrictions.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 09:09   #5

Boat: Kiriť Feeling 446

Crazy question, why not sail the Antilles and the Caribbean?

I have sailed de Bahamas in winter before and there is no comparison between there, and here in the Caribbean. Sailed from Montreal in 1995, spent summer on the east coast then winter in the Bahamas. From there sailed here in the West Indies. Much better weather, better food, nicer folks. More to see, to do, to enjoy.

My boat is Canadian flagged, with no taxes, no customs problems. In Martinique for example you can stay 18 months. No fees, no cruising permits, no problems. You can leave your boat on land in any of the islands including south of the hurricane belt in Trinidad.

I am writing you from Le Marin in Martinique and there are about 1 500 sailboats here. I am sure you can find a better deal here than anywhere else. It's a buyers market. Not a good place to sell. Catamarans represent more than half the fleet. From 35 to 55 feet they abound.
Old 20-04-2016, 09:33   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

What will Homeland Security come up with next? When I left the US with my US documented vessel in 2009, the Coast Guard in Newport, RI, my last US port of call could barely be bothered to allow me to have US Customs form 1300 filled out. I was heading for Europe and knew that the EU bureaucrats just love to have paperwork, the more the merrier.

I seem to recall that I was trying to find a Zarpe. Many calls to the Coast Guard in the US almost discouraged me from getting a Zarpe before departure.

After all that hassle, no one ever asked for it, but I still have the original document in my ship's papers.
Old 21-04-2016, 08:46   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: ex-Tartan4100, now MS34 sedan

great info, Salty Tanned. are these boats in Le Marin mostly Euro boats sailed over and not wanting to return to Europe.

there are other threads about foreign flagged vessels in Florida specifically. Here's a few links
recent thread [URL="http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2102609#post2102609"]

https://www.cbp.gov/bulletins/42genno45.pdf on the US Cruising Permit

Florida use tax
http://dor.myflorida.com/Forms_libra...t/gt800005.pdf

Tags
florida, sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: