Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2012, 06:29   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat
Re: Can you trailer a multihull coastal cruiser

Ocean going, pond crossing, trailerable

Multihull Dynamics, Inc. - News Article

International Telstar Owners Association

The International Telstar Owners Association • View forum - Telstar 26's and 8M's
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 15:47   #17

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"

[QUOTE=cat man do;934483]$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ makes it pretty prohibitive for many

Proven design, modern materials and construction methods with plenty of used boats for less than $100,000. I'll stand by my previous comment. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 15:57   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

[QUOTE=DaveOnCudjoe;935034]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ makes it pretty prohibitive for many

Proven design, modern materials and construction methods with plenty of used boats for less than $100,000. I'll stand by my previous comment. Dave
I am not sure what you mean exactly, the Telstar 26 and MK II and MK III, three models and the 8M where ahead of their time built in the 70's with the 26's and moving into the 80's with the 8M, using Foam core, they are lighter than hand layed boats.

There is no doubt Corsairs and F boats are much much faster and much more expensive. 3 or 4 fold more expensive.
Old 19-04-2012, 19:35   #19

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOnCudjoe View Post
Proven design, modern materials and construction methods Dave
The Tri I pointed out is also a proven design built from modern materials and construction methods
They are just different modern materials and construction methods to the production Farriers although the larger tri is being built in foam as well.
Being a non production build I would pretty much guarantee it would be lighter than the production Farrier, especially a ten year old one.

Quote:
with plenty of used boats for less than $100,000. I'll stand by my previous comment.
No such thing as an F31 for less than $100k in Australia
And the ones I had a quick look at on yachtworld were approx. 10 years old compared to what would be a new build.
Old 19-04-2012, 20:13   #20

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
SNIP

No such thing as an F31 for less than $100k in Australia
And the ones I had a quick look at on yachtworld were approx. 10 years old compared to what would be a new build.
My thread, let me repeat that, my thread was titled "Can you trailer a multihull coastal cruiser".

One nice thing about the F boats is they are designed to be easy to partially set up on a trailer, get the boat in the water, finish setting up, and be sailing with minimal additional help all in a very short time. There is a video on youtube where a guy does this in around 20 minutes by himself.

While I have no doubt someone could build a nice try using designs you linked to I seriously doubt they would come close to matching an F boat in trailering ability. Not to mention building a boat is not something at this point in time I have any interest in doing. Feel free to continue somewhat off topic posts, but be prepared for me to continue pointing it out.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 20:48   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post

While I have no doubt someone could build a nice try using designs you linked to I seriously doubt they would come close to matching an F boat in trailering ability.
While the Telstar 26's and 8M's have 6 foot plus standing head room in the salon, two doubles, a single berth, an enclosed head and a reasonable galley for that size boat - it is a full morning to unload and set her up.

She is not trailerable in the sense that you go out in the morning and launch her within an hour and later that afternoon or evening load her back onto the trailer. She is more of a 3 day experience to set her up and sail and then bring her back home. There are several types of trailers for them with one being particularly efficient for launching and loading. The real time consuming issue with them is raising the amas, as they weigh several hundreds of pounds each and require a jacking system of sorts to raise and lower them.
Old 19-04-2012, 21:01   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Ross View Post
SNIP
She is not trailerable
SNIP
Which was the whole point of my last post.

Why do you keep making excuses for boats that do not come close to the ease of F boats getting on or off a trailer.
Old 19-04-2012, 23:48   #23

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
My thread, let me repeat that, my thread was titled "Can you trailer a multihull coastal cruiser".
Exactly and the answer is yes

Quote:
One nice thing about the F boats is they are designed to be easy to partially set up on a trailer, get the boat in the water, finish setting up, and be sailing with minimal additional help all in a very short time. There is a video on youtube where a guy does this in around 20 minutes by himself.
If you new all this why did you ask the question?

Quote:
While I have no doubt someone could build a nice try using designs you linked to I seriously doubt they would come close to matching an F boat in trailering ability.
Might want to actualy check on that champ
Looks the same to me

Quote:
Not to mention building a boat is not something at this point in time I have any interest in doing.
Fair enough.
Perhaps you should have had that in post 1

Quote:
Feel free to continue somewhat off topic posts, but be prepared for me to continue pointing it out.
Off topic, how so?
I didnt realise it was an Fboat only thread, you should have made mention of that at the start as well instead of asking questions about other boats like you did

Post 1, highlighted for your convenience.

Quote:
I have been looking at Stiletto 27s. I know there are things like F-boats and other tris that cyou can put on a trailer. Probably some cats as well.

But in my Stiletto thread there was a comment about taking that boat off a trailer or putting it on a trailer is not something you would want to make a habit of.

Are there any multihulls coastal cruisers that realistically can be set up and broken down to trailer or do all of them basically need a day to perform this operation.
Old 20-04-2012, 03:43   #24
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Why do you keep making excuses for boats that do not come close to the ease of F boats getting on or off a trailer.
I think if you had titled this thread "Why I like F Boats" or "Talking F Boats" perhaps you would have narrowed the discussion to just the F Boat design. There are many trailerable boat designs and their marketing is often related to how much of an ease they are to trailer. Just take a look at the monohull trailerables, they run the gamut.

The Telstar 26 and 8M are trailerable. My point is there is a coastal and ocean going trailerable tri that is about 20 to 25 % of the cost of an F Boat which is well within in many peoples budget where the F Boats are not.
Old 20-04-2012, 04:53   #25
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

There's a big range in price represented here; a nice Stiletto 27 for $12,000, or at least $75,000 for everything else. The F-boats are nice and are in a completely different catagory. Before they should be considered in the same breath, you need to see both up close. They are very different.

That said, I owned a Stiletto 27 for 15 years. A relativly stripped boat can be set up in 2 hours by a pair (the factory claims 20 minutes, but that's pit crew action). A boat with a lot of owner-added cruising options can take 4 hours, but that's a worst case; when I sold my boat, after it having been assymbled and kept in the water for 14 years and lots of stuff added, went from sea trial to road in 4 hours without anything seriously stuck. The time difference was...
  • Extra rigging for added go-fasts.
  • Teaching the new owner while doing.
  • Drain built-in fuel and water tanks (not stock)
  • MT cabin. Lots.
  • A few minutes here and there spent reading the instruction (it had been a long time).
  • Time spent looking for tools (forgot some of what was needed).
  • A break to sign papers and swap funds.
  • Bigger than stock enigine.
I certainly wouldn't do this every weekend--I was happy keeping her in the water and in fact the majority of F-boats never trailer--but if travling a few times per year for a week's stay somewhere new, it's not so bad. Two hours will do if you keep things simple.
Old 20-04-2012, 05:30   #26

Tom,

Thanks for your personal input. I have sailed on both the 23 and the 27 and been very impressed with both. But I have never been personally involved with going from trailer to water. I have also seen a video and the claim that a Stiletto can be put in the water in about an hour. My understanding is that it is a basically one man process except for raising the mast and possibly moving the solid deck into position.

The video I saw of the F27 did show a stop watch time of 20 minutes, with the warning that most folks would take longer. I have talked to a guy with a Contour who says it takes him about an hour and a half, but is some what dependent on how he left the rigging on the boat.

I do not know much about the Dragonfly, but will say the two listings I responded to failed to respond to my emails and when I called I was told they would return my call; something that did not happen.

I am not stuck on an F boat. One thing that worries me is my research on F boats resulted in a post from an owner saying the factory listed for his "F boat was a joke". While the factory claimed around 2,600 pounds his trailer and boat weighed over 5,000 pounds. Since 5,000 is the suggested towing limit of my van this concerned me.

I am sorta coming to the conclusion that towing a multihull cruiser is rather like the question of just what a coastal cruiser is. Some folks would claim you really can not cruise on a Stiletto 27, the hulls are too narrow to sleep in as an example. Other folks would have no problem sleeping in a sleeping bag under a tarp over the boom.

Bottom line is that a realistic time to go from trailer to raising the main seems to be around two hours at a minimum if everything goes right, and it is possible it would take much longer.
Old 20-04-2012, 05:51   #27
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
My point is there is a coastal and ocean going trailerable tri that is about 20 to 25 % of the cost of an F Boat which is well within in many peoples budget where the F Boats are not.
This one sold for under 15.9K Telstar 8M pictures by bombayducky - Photobucket
Old 20-04-2012, 06:12   #28
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
I am not stuck on an F boat. One thing that worries me is my research on F boats resulted in a post from an owner saying the factory listed for his "F boat was a joke". While the factory claimed around 2,600 pounds his trailer and boat weighed over 5,000 pounds. Since 5,000 is the suggested towing limit of my van this concerned me.

I think you are to the heart of the matter with any multihull, trailerable on not. You can run all the formulas you want but if the "boat weight plus payload", Designed Displacement, is inaccurate you really do not know what you are getting. One way to solve the riddle is to have the boat weighed at Survey and calculate the formulas from there. Not to mention what the trailer weighs.
Old 20-04-2012, 07:36   #29

Quote:
I have only seen two Telstars listed and both of them have been close to $US80k.

I am still looking and will keep an eye out for a deal like this.
Old 20-04-2012, 07:51   #30
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

I think you are looking at the ones produced in the last 10 years, the Telstar 28, yes they are the high priced trailerable tris. The fold in the water and they are relatively easy to launch and recover.

The Telstar 26 and Telstar 8M are the models I am speaking of. Only 360 or thereabouts were built. Most are in Europe though there are enough here in the US and Canada that they come onto the market. Because they are trailerable people come from all over to buy them and simply drive them home.

The International Telstar Owners Association is a good place to keep a look out for them. Here is a link to the subsection of the ITOA that deals with the 26's and 8M's, great folks, very helpful and they will tell you all about their boats.

The International Telstar Owners Association • View forum - Telstar 26's and 8M's

You will need to become a member to access certain things like photos and be able to start or contribute to threads. Membership is free. If you decide to setup a Membership be sure to use an email address that is real, the moderator does not just admit anyone.

Here is a link to the Classified section The International Telstar Owners Association • View forum - Classifieds

Most people who want these boats are looking everywhere to include Ebay.

When they appear for sale you have to be ready because others are.

Tags
cruiser, multihull