Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-04-2012, 09:13   #31

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Can you trailer a multihull coastal cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Ross View Post
SNIP
When they appear for sale you have to be ready because others are.
I just did a google search with "telstar for sale" and the only hit I got was for a boat in Europe that was already sold.

I am reminded of the old question "are you going to fish or cut bait?" and have to say at some point I will stop looking and buy a boat. This does not favor waiting for a Telstar to come on the market.

Old 20-04-2012, 09:17   #32

I think you could get a Contour 30 in the less than $50k range - maybe. A boat that has more "displacement" than a F31 - meaning, wide main hull at the waterline. It cannot fold as easily as the F/C31 as a consequence.

Old 20-04-2012, 09:18   #33
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Corinthian 41 Tri #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I just did a google search with "telstar for sale" and the only hit I got was for a boat in Europe that was already sold.

I am reminded of the old question "are you going to fish or cut bait?" and have to say at some point I will stop looking and buy a boat. This does not favor waiting for a Telstar to come on the market.
The one I pointed out sold about 6 months ago. Just depends on what you want.
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 09:38   #34

Guys, one reason I am talking so much about F boats is because there a lot of them for sale. I did mention finding one Contour, but the seller was non responsive; same for the newer Telstar which was a lot more than the F boats or the Contour.

I am trying to be realistic about finding a multihull coastal cruiser to trailer that I can actually buy. There is no great hurry, I really don't NEED a boat I just Want one. But time is a consideration. I would like to make this happen.

So I guess my realistic question is how long should I wait to buy a multihull coastal cruiser I can trailer.
Old 20-04-2012, 09:47   #35
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
So I guess my realistic question is how long should I wait to buy a multihull coastal cruiser I can trailer.
I think you are addressing something most of us who did not grow up in a boating, particularly sailing family, have had to deal with, getting educated and knowledgeable before spending the Big Bucks.

"Big Bucks" is a relative term, 20K for some folks, millions for others. I think the latter group is less concerned about a financial mistake as compared to the former. What I always ask myself before I purchase is "when I am ready to sell will there be a GOOD market for this boat"; cause as Thomas Firth Jones points out that day comes for everyone or for those who are left owning the boat after we are gone.

I think I lost 3 boats to others before I bit the bullet and bought. They were good boats but I was still unsure if I was making the right decision. I don't know what your learning curve will be but for sure you'll have one.

We are on our 4th boat. We are keeping number 3 our sailing tri and number 4 our power boat, 1936 Chris Craft Cruiser
Old 20-04-2012, 10:05   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Ross View Post
I think you are addressing something most of us who did not grow up in a boating, particularly sailing family, have had to deal with, getting educated and knowledgeable before spending the Big Bucks.

"Big Bucks" is a relative term, 20K for some folks, millions for others. I think the latter group is less concerned about a financial mistake as compared to the former. What I always ask myself before I purchase is "when I am ready to sell will there be a GOOD market for this boat"; cause as Thomas Firth Jones points out that day comes for everyone or for those who are left owning the boat after we are gone.

I think I lost 3 boats to others before I bit the bullet and bought. They were good boats but I was still unsure if I was making the right decision. I don't know what your learning curve will be but for sure you'll have one.
I have to disagree with a lot of what you posted. I started sailing on my Dad's boats in the 1950s in Miami, raced on the USF sailing team as an undergrad, coached the FSU sailing team as a grad student, went to the Olympic trials in sailboarding, and have sailed my Dad's other boats and crew since then.

My experience has been that folks who have a million dollars to spend on a boat are in that position because they are more concerned about making financial mistakes than folks with less money, not less concerned.

What I am asking are rather specific questions about the difference between a manufactures claim of boat weight and time to get from trailer to water compared to the actual experience owners have had. Most manufactures put their boats in the best light, and it is often owners who find the little (or big problems) that have been glossed over. This is the information I am looking for.
Old 20-04-2012, 10:13   #37

Depends on availability and budget. I waited a year, looking daily at everything before my Contour 34 hit the market. I made an offer the day it showed up and I was 2nd in line. There aren't that many Contours - and the owners are a pretty stable group, so it takes time.

For Corsairs - many, many more boats were made, and therefore are popping up all the time. They hold their value very well, and combine great sailing, easy trailer-ability and a basic, but functional interior.

Depends really on your budget, and what you need. Do you need easy trailering and a quick boat? Corsair might be for you. Do you want more volume and are willing to trade off easy of trailering, Dragonfly or Contour. Contour if you're more of a budget shopper than the Dragonfly. Contours take more time to trailer as you need to dismount the amas - photos are a Contour 30 on a trailer, Contour 34 on the water.

There are also 1 offs that are usually much less expensive than the major brands, but you take some risk.

It really behooves you to sit down and write a list of priorities - then match the boat to that. If you're serious, you will find a boat that matches that list. It just might take awhile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08 Ready to Roll 2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	40193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hapa Girl in the delta.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	40194  

Old 20-04-2012, 10:31   #38

Quote:
I have to disagree with a lot of what you posted. I started sailing on my Dad's boats in the 1950s in Miami, raced on the USF sailing team as an undergrad, coached the FSU sailing team as a grad student, went to the Olympic trials in sailboarding, and have sailed my Dad's other boats and crew since then.

My experience has been that folks who have a million dollars to spend on a boat are in that position because they are more concerned about making financial mistakes than folks with less money, not less concerned.

What I am asking are rather specific questions about the difference between a manufactures claim of boat weight and time to get from trailer to water compared to the actual experience owners have had. Most manufactures put their boats in the best light, and it is often owners who find the little (or big problems) that have been glossed over. This is the information I am looking for.

Only way to know full load weight, is to weigh the boat. Time to trailer can be discussed with current owners- most of these boats have active user groups.
Old 20-04-2012, 10:32   #39
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
I have to disagree with a lot of what you posted.

Ghee I would have never guessed that
Old 20-04-2012, 11:49   #40
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

There is a cheap way to weigh a trailerable, cost about $12 to $25. If you can get the manufacturer of the trailer to give you the exact weight of their trailer or close to it, then take the boat and trailer to a certified truck weigh station, CAT scales. Subtract the difference of the weight of the trailer from the total weight. Having done this myself you will need to disconnect from the trailer and move the truck or car off of the scales then ask the guy to give you that weight of the trailer and boat.
Old 20-04-2012, 20:11   #41

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"

Tomfl,
When I decided on a 31 I knew what I wanted,98 or older aft cockpit. A broker found one for me and I paid about $10000 too much but got the exact boat I wanted and have never regreted it. Dave
Old 20-04-2012, 23:21   #42

I think CRUISING and TRAILERABLE are mutually exclusive, especially in a multihull. The closest I know of is the F31/C31 but it's a stretch to call them cruisers. Yes a couple with small kids would be fine for a week or two, but a month would pushing it. Its boat camping.

As for setup/takedown, I wouldn't want to do it more than a few times a year... Certainly not every time I sailed.
Old 21-04-2012, 12:14   #43

I have a corsair 31R and we have no problem spending 6 to 8 weeks In the Bahamas at a time. That's me my wife 16 yo daughter and 80# dog. Last summer my wife and I spent 7 weeks fist in the NE sailing Martha's vineyard Nantucket area then on the trailer to the Chesapeake. Then home to Key West. We have also sailed with her all over So Cal as well. This summer we are thinking the pacific NW. Then maybe Mexico. If you can live simply these boats have an immense amount to offer. On top of the trailering benefits, while in the keys and bahamas we can get into lagoons that no one else can drawing only 18 inches. Also we have been the gun boat in every race we have ever entered and we are by no means hard core racers. Speaking of gun boats we sailed with the gun boat hammer after the boat show in Annapolis this year and it was not even close we were easily 20% faster on every point of sail.
Old 21-04-2012, 15:44   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Risk View Post
I have a corsair 31R and we have no problem spending 6 to 8 weeks In the Bahamas at a time. That's me my wife 16 yo daughter and 80# dog. Last summer my wife and I spent 7 weeks fist in the NE sailing Martha's vineyard Nantucket area then on the trailer to the Chesapeake. Then home to Key West. We have also sailed with her all over So Cal as well. This summer we are thinking the pacific NW. Then maybe Mexico. If you can live simply these boats have an immense amount to offer. On top of the trailering benefits, while in the keys and bahamas we can get into lagoons that no one else can drawing only 18 inches. Also we have been the gun boat in every race we have ever entered and we are by no means hard core racers. Speaking of gun boats we sailed with the gun boat hammer after the boat show in Annapolis this year and it was not even close we were easily 20% faster on every point of sail.

Is it possible to use it as a camping trailer while one is, lets say, driving from FL up the east coast?
Old 21-04-2012, 20:35   #45

In a word yes. We don't because we put the boom below when traveling but you can carry it on deck.

Tags
cruiser, multihull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: