Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2014, 04:09   #121

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Re: Can You Help Settle an Argument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Another interesting, and simple, product for not turning the boat into sauna (and conserving energy) is the Wonder Bag. Originally created to conserve cooking fuel in poor African villages, I think it should be handy on a boat too: greatly reduce heating of the boat, leave meals cooking while away from boat (snorkeling instead of galley duty), conserve fuel....

Just bought one to try out on the boat this cruising season. Cooked a test meal in it recently works great.

Wonderbag - Home
The wonder bag looks bulky. However one method I use is to just bring rice or potatoes to the boil in a pressure cooker, and once it's boiling just take it of and put it outside in the cockpit. Then prepare the rest. But then, our first boat only had a single burner stove. One learns...

Local stores here sell the "hot pan", which looks like a good solution for cooking on board as well.
Hotpan - Energy Efficient Cookware - Products - KUHN RIKON SWITZERLAND
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 05:40   #122

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
We seem to have the same discussion going on two different threads. Check out thread amps watts and volts required for slow cooking
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 12:24   #123

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

>The big advantages I see are: Less water vapour being produced in the boat (I'm always fighting with moisture...) and the simplified logistics of only one type of fuel on board.

And less stray heat in the galley (at least in warm climates, maybe that's a disadvantage in cold climate - but who in their right mind sails in cold climates )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 13:08   #124

When it's real hot out, we will often use an electric skillet on the back deck.

Doesn't solve the problem of getting power to the skillet but it keeps the heat out of the cabin.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:01   #125

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: can you help settle an argument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Electric ovens work fine. I have experience with both, and prefer electric.

They do work fine when you're plugged into the grid. I have one at home too, but I don't use an inverter to power it when I want to bake something or cook a roast or chicken. Do you actually have experience using an electric oven powered by an inverter that depends on a battery bank?

A typical oven uses between 1200 to 2000 watts and a frozen casserole or medium size roast or a chicken will take in excess of an hour or up to 3 hours to cook. But assuming just an hour and a smallish 1200 watt electric oven, that's going to take 'at least' 100amps out of your 12 volt battery bank, and much more for many common foods. I don't have any big problem with gensets but think we need to be realistic about just how much electric energy an electric range uses to do the job that a pretty small amount of propane can do. I can see where going all electric works on large yachts where you don't even notice that nearly constant genset slight rumble in the background, but most small to medium sized yacht owners aren't going to be comfortable with doubling their genset run time each day just to cook dinner in the oven. Maybe a suitable compromise would be to stick with a traditional propane stove and add a portable induction cooktop to use on those rare days when you have an excess of amps in your battery bank, the sun shines brightly on your extensive solar array, and your wind generator is nearly spinning its blades off.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 13:45   #126

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
SNIP

but who in their right mind sails in cold climates )
No one I know, but I have lived in Florida since 1954.

Still it is important to understand the importance of getting the right boat for the type of sailing you will be doing, including the right power source. I have two 215w solar panels and four 110a batteries, which seems adequate for sailing in the Sunshine State. Bet things would be different if you were in the Pacific North West.

Another consideration is how you sail/motor and where you are doing it. I have two 9.9 Yamaha outboards in wells almost amidship. Boat turns in its own length. Other owners say it burns about one liter an hour at five knots in a no current and no wind situation. Non owners have pointed out the boat may be underpowered in high wind/current situations.

Some folks have mentioned it would be possible to replace one or both of the outboards with a Torquedo. While I like the idea the price seems a little much. The motor itself is only a little more than a 9.9 Yamaha ($US3.8k), but the battery is another $US2.5K.

Not saying this is the ideal setup, just that it works for me in Florida and at a price I can afford.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 19:06   #127

Boat: Marine Trader 36 sedan
Send a message via Skype™ to happyendings

Well it appears that the horse, having expired some days ago, continues to be flogged. This thread might well have been titled "Can you help create an argument?". It does a heart good to see that so many folks like the stuff they have and are suspicious of the stuff they've heard or read about.

Seriously, it is hard to beat an easy to handle boat that sails well most of the time without running engine(s) of any kind and which has solar panels and maybe a wind generator to keep the lights on and the beer cold. That should be a small enough carbon footprint for anybody not desiring a floating science project.
Old 03-03-2014, 19:18   #128
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyendings View Post
Well it appears that the horse, having expired some days ago, continues to be flogged. This thread might well have been titled "Can you help create an argument?". It does a heart good to see that so many folks like the stuff they have and are suspicious of the stuff they've heard or read about.

Seriously, it is hard to beat an easy to handle boat that sails well most of the time without running engine(s) of any kind and which has solar panels and maybe a wind generator to keep the lights on and the beer cold. That should be a small enough carbon footprint for anybody not desiring a floating science project.

:-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men