Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 17:32   #1

Can someone tell me about the Ferrier F36?

F-36

I don't really know too much about crusing or anything but I just love the way this thing looks. It also seems like it's priced pretty reasonably. The site says you can get one for 90 - 130k. That's not too bad.

I don't know if I need a boat this big or if I could get away with something smaller. All I want is something that's big enough to sleep 4, cruise around the Caribbean and be able to make the trip from the Caribbean to Vancouver, Canada along the Pacific coast.

I'm a geologist and I do contract work in the mineral exploration field. My contracts are anywhere from 4 - 8 weeks in length then I get time off; usually however much time off I want until I pick up another contract. The companies I work for will usually fly me in as well so I can have my boat based wherever.

I'll be honest, I don't really know what I'm getting into yet but this is something that I want to learn more about. I figured that this would be a good place to start.

My dream is to own a boat that is situated in the Caribbean somewhere. I've spent some time there and I absolutely love it. I'd love to sail around during my time off, going to different towns, spending a few days at each and then going somewhere else. I'd like to have scuba diving equipment on board as that's another thing I really like doing.

Does this boat look like something I should consider or am I way off base here?

Thanks,

Cole
ducaticole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 18:09   #2

Looks cool to me!

I would get it if I were you.
OldSarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 07:46   #3

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
It's a good boat, not heaps of interior though. It will be fast and wet.
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 08:30   #4

I think the 36 is not a Farrier design? I have read somewhere where there were problems with the folding mechanism. You may want to check with Ian Farrier by going to his site and shooting him an e-mail?
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 09:17   #5

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
The F-36 doesn't fold - it's a design which can be disassembled for shipping.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 09:40   #6

Does it sound like something that is capable of what I'm after though? Or would there be better boat choices?
Old 13-03-2008, 11:51   #7
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Cole, the price seems reasonable as you would have to build it yourself - and their time estimates range from a low of 4500 hours (presumably for an experienced/professional builder) to 6000 hours. Assuming that you are not an experienced boat builder and that the 6000 hour figure is realistic, then you would need 150 forty hour weeks to complete her (essentially 3 years with only 2 weeks off IN TOTAL). You would also need to have (or rent) shop space suitable for a trimaran and have (or buy) all tools/equipment needed for the project.

On the other hand, one could contract the construction to a quality professional builder. I suspect that you would be hard pressed to find one domestically that would be prepared to give you shop labour (and space) for under $50.00/hour (in many places it would be much more). Hence, assuming the lower estimate is fair for a professional making a one-off boat, then $50.00 x 4500 hours = $225,000.00 over the listed cost of materials/plans. Bearing in mind that price of materials are guaranteed to increase over the duration of the project, I suspect that it would be impossible to have a sailaway version built professionally, even with just the most basic inventory of sails/electronics etc., for under $325,000.00 - $350,000.00. Equipped for cruising, it would cost even more.

Would it suit your purposes? Probably. But if I am not mistaken, you are/were looking for a completed vessel rather than plans, however detailed.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 15:23   #8

Yeah, I was looking for something completed. That is definately out of my price range.

What about a used Corsair 31? I've seen them for around 130k which is something that I could swing. I really like the idea of a triamaran because of the speed and also because I just love the way it looks. I'm definately not opposed to other designs though.

I would say that speed is somewhat important to me. I mainly want to use the boat from exploring the Caribbean and also maybe making the trip to Vancouver along the Pacific coast. Also, I could see myself sailing out to Hawaii from there as well. I have no interest in crossing the Atlantic or anything like that.

The boat doesn't need to be large. Most of the time, I would like to just sail with myself and my girlfriend. I also would like it to be big enough to have another couple on board as well. I can't see myself needing more room than that.

What does everyone think?
Old 13-03-2008, 15:45   #9

So the F36 is up to $130K IN KIT FORM? Incredible. There are far better value options IMHO.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 15:48   #10

Boat: Valiant 50
F-31's are tiny inside. Your girlfriend would be a legend if she lasted 1 week on board before she took the kitchen knife to you.

They are otherwise fantastic boats, can be trailered easily and are frighteningly fast.

Not for long term cruising though

Multis are notoriously expensive, on our budget look at the numerous monos for sale.
Old 13-03-2008, 17:00   #11

What do you suggest I look at then? Maybe something with a bit more interior room. I'd like to stay with a multihull boat if possible. They just appeal to me more. I'm willing to buy used and my price cap is around $150,000.
Old 13-03-2008, 18:21   #12

Boat: Valiant 50
I could only comment on the F-31. But I guess try searching yachtworld.com with a price of something higher than your 150K limit and see if you can negotiate down to your budget.

If your girlfriend rides on the back of a Ducati, then maybe she has the fortitude to bear pain and discomfort beyond what mere mortals can withstand - in which case, I may have to revise my previous objections to the F-31 for you.

I know I will be crucified by most readers of this forum; but have you looked at the James Wharram designed Cats? A quirky British designer with some solid designs and all built to an affordable budget.

For example:

1975 Wharram Tehini 52 Boat For Sale

for the record, I have no interest in this boat at all and I stress that this is NOT a recommendation - I simply did a search on yachtworld.com.
Old 13-03-2008, 18:46   #13

Is that really all I can get for around 150k? I was hoping for something nicer than that. Also, I don't really want a boat that big. I mostly just want something for going from port to port. I'm pretty used to living in very small spaces too. I mainly work in exploration camps and they aren't too cosy.
Old 13-03-2008, 19:21   #14

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
Sounds like a fun idea. You can get a nice used catamaran for < $150K, especially if you don't have a huge desire to throw lots of money at it in terms of fancy equipment. It probably will be a one off or a less known brand. Avoid ex-charter boats as their motors and sails will generally need replacement.

1993 Solaris Sunstar Boat For Sale
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 20:30   #15

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
If you're looking to coast hop you could look at a Performance Cruising Gemini 34 catamaran - I think they run about $150K new. Although not recommended for blue water the designer did an Atlantic crossing a couple of years ago so they're pretty sturdy little boats.

My wife and I viewed one at the Southampton Boat Show and we were both surprised and impressed. The basic package is comprehensive, the interior works well for a couple and it's got a simple yet effective sail plan and motor configuration. The centreboards and rudders kick up so it floats in about a foot of water.

I agree with Neelie regarding the F-31: They're fast, fun and tiny inside (I'd say that inside they're like a 26' monohull - mainly due to the narrow beam of the main hull).
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote