Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2016, 23:27   #16

Re: Camera help

https://www.amazon.com/Dazzne-Waterp.../dp/B018ARUYJ6

Dazzne P2 Plus
Price: $48.80 & FREE Shipping
amazon.com
wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:00   #17

Boat: Hanse 348

Wow. This was 2x the price 6 months ago. Go pro has their lowest at 129.

I use a Garmin crib for sailing and biking as it gives all data such as speed, GPS, etc as an overlay on the video.

Sent from my KFTBWI using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:31   #18

My tip would be to decide on the make and range and go for the model most recently replaced. I have been doing this for years with Linux's (not waterproof). You usually get a great camera at a great price. All of the main manufacturers are making great cameras and keep having to dream up features to keep margins up. More features usually means more complexity and it is often the same camera underneath. You are not so worried about it getting bashed or replacing it if you paid less in the first place.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Naughty Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:49   #19

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Wow. This was 2x the price 6 months ago. Go pro has their lowest at 129.

I use a Garmin crib for sailing and biking as it gives all data such as speed, GPS, etc as an overlay on the video.

Sent from my KFTBWI using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Not to be a spelling weanie.

But I know of and have a Garmin virb; never heard of a cirb.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:57   #20

Here is an example of a video with the cheap GoPro ($130). I suspect the Chinese knockoffs are pretty good too.

paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:12   #21

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Not to be a spelling weanie.

But I know of and have a Garmin virb; never heard of a cirb.
yeah autocorrect on phones and tablets....

thanks for the link, i think for sailing and bike riding the garmin which incorporates speed, position, etc. metrics is really better than the gopros. I like seeing how fast I am going, altitude (on bike rides, or if you are a pilot or skier) right on the video.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 18:21   #22

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

We are very pleased with our Panasonic Lumix (DMC-FT5). Can't remember the price but it was relatively low end. Aside from keeping the water out, the quality of definition has impressed us regularly.
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:32   #23

Boat: Aloha 34

For what it's worth, I have been VERY pleased with my TG4, both above and under the water. For whatever reason, it takes better pics than any point and shoot I have used before. I like the larger aperture on the TG4, and you can add accessories to it like an optical zoom, lens filters, fish eye, etc. Very flexible platform.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 15:53   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in SG View Post
We are very pleased with our Panasonic Lumix (DMC-FT5). Can't remember the price but it was relatively low end. Aside from keeping the water out, the quality of definition has impressed us regularly.
I have this camera as well and I like it.
Seaadventurers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 16:30   #25

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

Are you new to taking underwater pictures? If so, remember, get close, go slow.. then get closer and go slower. For blue water, for sure get a camera you can put a red filter on.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:12   #26

Boat: Lagoon 450

We've recently purchased the new Olympus TG-Tracker which we use primarily for uw shots and video. Its 4k video its outstanding. Photos too. It has a very wide angle lens. 30m WD. Its however not an ideal topsides camera as its fish eye lens is not suitable for any distance photos. Its easy to use and has some pretty good features built into it. It replaced out much loved and missed Nikon AW130 which gave good uw and topside performance.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 22:19   #27

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
We've recently purchased the new Olympus TG-Tracker which we use primarily for uw shots and video. Its 4k video its outstanding. Photos too. It has a very wide angle lens. 30m WD. Its however not an ideal topsides camera as its fish eye lens is not suitable for any distance photos. Its easy to use and has some pretty good features built into it. It replaced out much loved and missed Nikon AW130 which gave good uw and topside performance.
I have just bought one too,I do a lot of kayak fishing and have always found the Olympus cameras to be of top quality in their field.I also have a TG4,great compact rugged camera
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:05   #28

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I'm also looking for a new camera. Does anyone have any experience with "sea life" cameras? My needs are more scuba directed.
The micro hd 13 model looks impressive, by specs anyways. It would be great to get any real world feedback.
Otherwise, the Nikon aw 130 seems to check all the boxes.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 07:30   #29

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

I just got the TG-4 as a gift. I haven't used it yet, other than to ensure it's working before going sailing. Two things I've noted which are a bit frustrating.

First, I bought this camera because it shoots raw. However, it does not have the option of shooting only raw. It shoots raw + jpg. The instructions indicate you cannot delete the jpg without losing metadata for the raw. While not a deal breaker, this drastically increases storage requirements.

Second, I use Photoshop Elements 12 for editing. PSE 12 uses Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) to read raw files. My PSE 12 only has ACR v 8.5. The new TG-4 requires v 9 or higher. At the moment it appears I have two choices; update to PSE 14 for about $100, or convert the Olympus raw files to DNG so I can use my ACR 8.5 to edit them. Any new device with slightly older software is likely going to result in this sort of issue.

FYI.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 16:09   #30

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
I'm also looking for a new camera. Does anyone have any experience with "sea life" cameras? My needs are more scuba directed.
The micro hd 13 model looks impressive, by specs anyways. It would be great to get any real world feedback.
Otherwise, the Nikon aw 130 seems to check all the boxes.
The SeaLife cameras are something of a step up from the point and shoot cameras discussed earlier in the thread. Without more details about what SCUBA directed means it is hard to advise you.

While I have never personally used a SeaLife I have been on dives where others have used them (it was a 1400) and afterwards looked at the images captured. That being said everyone capturing images on the dives were what I would call experienced underwater photographers (depending on your definition). In any case they all had lighting systems on their cameras. Unless you are shooting in 10 feet of water or less some type of extra lighting is often needed to capture images without strange colors and often the exposure requires a shutter speed so slow that blur is also an issue.

YMMV
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera