Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-10-2016, 04:01   #1

Boat: FP 38
Buying through The Multihull Company, good or bad

Hi, im in Australia and looking for a catamaran in florida to buy.
Has anyone any experience with the multihull company. What are their surveys like and are they really on the buyers or sellers team....
Cheers mateys

Old 09-10-2016, 04:24   #2
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Buying through The Multihull Company, good or bad

They're a Brokerage.. so like any other they'll be on their own side.. as for surveyors my experience is an independent surveyor is working for you whereas one with recommendations from the dealer will always have his eye on the next job..

signed; Cynical ole git

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Click on de Pic 4 de Site^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:23   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Re: Buying through The Multihull Company, good or bad

The Multihull Company is a brokerage company. They employ a number of brokers. When shopping for a boat, we dealt with three of them. One was very good, one marginal, and one did not have a clue. I don't know why he bothered to show up for the viewing as he showed no interest in us or in selling the boat.

Boatman61 is correct saying you need a surveyor that is working for you, not the seller or the brokerage.

Cheers,
Old 09-10-2016, 11:28   #4

When we purchased thru Multihull we used them as a buyers broker to help find appropriate boats for our intended use. The boat we eventually purchased want represented by a Multihull broker also. They provided a list of certified surveyors for us to contact and hire personally. Everyone involved was professional and honest in their comments and advice.
We are very happy with our experience and vessel and will utilize their services when we sell or trade in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-10-2016, 22:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

As it turned out I actually didn't buy through them but I would definitely use them again if/when looking next time.

+3 for an independent surveyor as well.
Dave_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:31   #6

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by manawatuman View Post
Has anyone any experience with the multihull company. What are their surveys like and are they really on the buyers or sellers team....
Cheers mateys
We used the Multihull Company, and were, and still are, very impressed with them. Contact Jeff Jones. 954 557 4050. He has to be the best broker there is. PM me if you want our story, but I cannot recommend him highly enough.

Maje
Old 10-10-2016, 10:33   #7

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
They're a Brokerage.. so like any other they'll be on their own side.. as for surveyors my experience is an independent surveyor is working for you whereas one with recommendations from the dealer will always have his eye on the next job..

signed; Cynical ole git
We had our own surveyor, but Jeff Jones, our broker from the multihull company, helped the surveyor find stuff wrong with the boat.

Maje
Old 10-10-2016, 10:58   #8

I've been dealing with a private broker in Ft. Lauderdale trying to find my own world cruiser.

I thought I'd share his information as it's nice to have a second opinion. His name is Barry Burger and he owns Burger Yacht sales.

burgeryachtsales@gmail.com
mobile: (954) 873-1800

He is amazing. He specializes in sailboats and is a surveyor himself. Every boat we've toured he instantly goes into survey mode and points out every detail, both positive and negative. We've been on several boat where Barry has pointed out things the listing agent didn't know about.

I can't imagine trying to buy a boat in another country without having someone looking out for you.

Good Luck!
Old 10-10-2016, 16:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by manawatuman View Post
Cheers mateys
I found the principal to be rude and condescending. I will never deal with them again.
Old 10-10-2016, 20:36   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Antigua 37

We purchased from them and from out of country. We had no problems and felt they were very thorough. We had Staley Weidmen and he knows his stuff.
As Boatman61 mentioned initially, find your own independent broker though!
Good luck!
Old 11-10-2016, 08:03   #11

Boat: Stiletto 23

Both my buyer's broker and I had a great deal of difficulty getting straight information from anyone (a strident principal and three different brokers) at the Multihull Company on a cat they had recently listed in the Caribbean.

The boat was listed on YW at three different prices and two FSBO sites. When we finally got the correct listing, the boat included 'new' engines, new main, watermaker and a 4kw generator.

With a little internet sleuthing I tracked down the owner and he was much more straightforward and honest than anyone I dealt with at this brokerage. He was forthcoming that the 'new' equipment was from 2013, the engines had 3k hours each (2.75 hrs daily for those three years-how does that qualify as 'new' on any planet?), the watermaker had been removed and the generator was installed but was unserviceable needing unknown 'attention'. When I suggested a pre-sale survey, the owner agreed that was a good idea and would have one undertaken when the boat was pulled for bottom paint end-August.

Needless to say, once I connected with an honest owner I gave up even talking with the Multihull Company. While my interest continues to flounder as time goes on, I am still waiting for the owner to produce a survey so I know what I am dealing with before spending $1500 to travel and another $1k for a survey.

My suggestion is to flush out a good word-of-mouth on-site buyer's broker recommended from amongst the fellowship here. Naturally my vote is for an independent survey.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:56   #12

Boat: 38' French Cat

They hired a ex surveyor as a broker. He was one who lost his accreditation but had a great rep in the cat surveying field(total joke) I hope they wouldn't recommend him to survey one of their "sales"

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-10-2016, 11:27   #13

Indeed. I sent multihull company an email last week expressing interest and still havent had a reply.
Someone on here recommended TwoCanSail in florida and on a little googley them seem a good choice of many good buyers brokers.
Will be hiring my own surveyor from boatUS list.
Old 11-10-2016, 13:33   #14

Is it OK to have 2 or 3 brokers looking for me?
Old 11-10-2016, 14:57   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fountain Pajot Belize 43

I imported couple of US boats back when the AUS$ was stronger than the greenback and did OK. However with the current rate around $0.76 makes a huge difference. Recently went through the exercise of purchasing from US or Europe and ended up being better off purchasing local. (current 2004 PF Belize) Also most are ex charter with high engine hrs and very poorly maintained. Cost to have a 43' to Syd by either freight or have delivered by professional crew ran to about US$45 - $50k. Slight advantage with crew is you can write off a large percentage of the cost but takes 3 - 4 mths delivery. With sea freight all costs are added to the purchase price and Aust duty & 10% gst are calculated on the total. Aust Customs are very helpful with costs and what's required. Other issues 110 volt to 240 volt. Easy to fly and inspect in Aust. LPG certification can be expensive to get here on OS boats. Cost me $900 on one to have all the ducting modified to AUST standards >ouch! Some of the OS prices look attractive just beware to extra $$$s. Oh yeah and remember the broker is not your new "first best friend". His job is to sell boats. Have fun.

Tags
buying, hull, multihull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: