Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 09:14   #1

Boat: Hans Christian, 41T, 41'
Buying a new Lagoon 39

Since I am new to this forum and this is my first post - here is a bit of background about myself before I go ahead and ask my question. I have just moved to Dubai from Singapore, where I spent all my free time maintaining and flying a small single engine propeller airplane (Fly in Asia | A blog mostly about flying in Malaysia). That was a lot of fun and I wanted to continue with this hobby here in Dubai. Unfortunately it turns out that this is something (owning and flying of mall planes) is simply not done around here. And so I turn to my other hobby, which is sailing. As with the flying, I haven't done this for a long time before I got into it again, but I am reasonably sure that I can still do it.

Anyway, I was looking around for a boat to buy and after a lot of Internet window shopping, some actual boat viewing and a charter in Thailand, I decided that I will go with a catamaran and use it to live aboard and sail around the region. The choice was between a completely new Lagoon 39, a one year old but rarely used 400S2 and a two years old 450. All boats will have to be shipped or ferried to Dubai.

Today, I decided that I will order a new Lagoon 39. I am still concerned about the size (a bit small and storage space is getting low after you put in all the equipment), but I will have to operate the boat single-handed most of the time, I like the smaller main sail and this is the biggest model I can afford new.

My question is whether anybody here has ordered a Lagoon 39 and has any advice as to what I should be looking for in the options list, for example what to add my self later instead of ordering from the factory. Furthermore, I haven't signed anything yet, that is any tips or experience that could save from a costly mistake you could share would be very much appreciated (e.g. experience with Lagoon as a company, their dealership or any quality issues).

Finally, I am still looking for a slip in one of the marinas here in Dubai and it would be fantastic if there was anybody here who could point me into the right direction.

Thank you.
ingonoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:48   #2

Boat: currently a power boat :(
Re: Buying a new Lagoon 39

Welcome to CF We briefly looked at the 39 at the Miami boat show earlier this year, it seemed much larger than the 38'6" and did not feel like it would be too small for 2 of us. Good luck in your search and purchase!
Old 25-08-2014, 05:27   #3

Boat: Lagoon 39

Hey ingonoka, I had similar usage/financial constraints as yourself. Looked at larger Lagoons and South Africa cats but got the Lagoon 39. Living space is fine for two people especially if you get dual owner's cabins. I'd recommend against watermaker if you'll be doing marinas often and you will have a difficult decision as the generator means you can't get a second freshwater water tank. Go for the larger 39 engines is what I've heard from delivery skippers. Consider non-premium if you plan on spending a lot of time building your own storage areas otherwise get the premium. We fit a compact washer and dryer and ton of additional storage by cutting down the inboard side of both cabins. We are happy with the purchase, built like a tank and at times has feel of a small condo rather than a boat, which is what we were after. Leopard 39 might be worth an alternative alternate -- cheaper, swankier looking outside but the inside is a lot more basic.

Have fun!
Bunt
Bunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 10:41   #4

Boat: Hans Christian, 41T, 41'

Thanks a lot, Bunt. Taking down the inboard side of the cabins sounds like a big and scary alteration to a new boat. Do you have pictures?

I don't mind the condo feel of a Lagoon, but I am also interested in sailing. So far the consensus seems to be that the Lagoon 39 doesn't move much under 15 to 20 knots of wind. Is that your experience too? What speed do you get with a one or two engines running at cruising power?

Regards
ingonoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 11:05   #5

No worries you just cut the king size mattress down, if you find compact washer/dryer they fit just so. The best mod we did was putting these in. L39 does need some wind, suggest go for square-top mainsail and code-0, we're now looking at parasailor for downwind. L39 in flatwater does about 7.25kn w/ one engine and 8.5 or so w/ two. Cheers, Brent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	87090  
Old 25-08-2014, 12:13   #6

Boat: FP Orana 44

If what stated in another thread is correct, that the Lagoon 39 has 70m2 SA and 11.3t displacement, I would definitely order the furling Code0. My Orana is 109m2/9.8t and its sluggish in light wind. Then you can imagine what 70m2/11.3t will be.
'
The small sail area is probably a result of the self tacking jib, so unless its really windy all the time where you live it will not be enjoyable sailing it. I don't think the rig on the L39 makes sense without a code0.

Furling bigger sails works great. I have a furling gennaker on mine, and I'm using it single handed all the time (sub 20 knots wind).

Another thing which improves especially light wind performance is folding or feathering props. That would be high up on my list as well.
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 12:30   #7

Hey Sail_IC I agree with your points (we got the Flexofold props).

I am interested in your gennaker, do you run it up on the spinnaker halyard I take it? Do you find you can point any higher with it than the self-tacking jib? We have had trouble making much progress into the wind, in practice unless we have 20+ kn of wind we've often been running the leeward engine to get higher than 60 or so. Also do you use it for downwind at all e.g. w/ a pole or barber haul/reaching sheet on the midship cleat.

Related, we heard from an L450 couple recently that they have and very much like their Parasailor for downwind, so I was leaning toward those...

Related again, we rigged our Code-zero so we can fly it off the bowsprit or either bow, we think this allows us to get both a bit higher and lower than normal Code 0 angles by moving it to the windward/leeward bow.

Regards,
Brent
Old 25-08-2014, 14:24   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

We have a 125m2 parasailor on our L400. Some recent stats...true wind speeds/boat speeds at angles from 150 degrees to DDW
TWS. SOG
12. 5.5
15. 6
18. 6.5
20. 7
22. 7.5
25. 8
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 14:46   #9

Boat: FP Orana 44

A gennaker is not an upwind sail, nor great for running, but works well for everything in between (talking slowish cruising boats).

I you have a code0 and want to add a sail, a spinnaker would be in my view the thing. Never used a parasail, but a read people who have them really like them. The only disadvantage I think would be the price.

If you're not pointing at all with your code0 maybe the sheeting angle is wrong, too far outboard. Having said that, I think a code0 will always point lower than with a normal genoa, but hopefully make it up (and more) with increased speed.

(Got flexifold too)
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, lagoon