Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2017, 23:15   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Buying a Cat in Europe to circumnavigate withh a young family

I'm flying to Europe early 2019 with the intention of buying a cat to then sail back home to New Zealand and beyond. We intend to be on board for 5-6 years. With a budget of around 250,000 to 350,000 Euros to buy the boat. I have 4 children who will be aged between 4 and 11, my wife is very capable. I'm not keen on having a helm up on top of a flybridge, would prefer one where the 'helmsman' can still be involved with the rest of the family. I would prefer galley up as well. I like the idea of either the Fontaine Pajot Salina 48 or Nautitech 47, however am keen for suggestions or ideas of other suitable cats.
664895ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 23:32   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: Buying a Cat in Europe to circumnavigate withh a young family

Like you, I'm not keen on a flybridge but neither do I like the exposed helm on one of your suggestions, the Nautitech. If you will look at something a little smaller than your other choice you can get a nice Privilege 435/445. For your budget you might get a 465, which normally has extended transom making them 49ft, if you buy an earlier boat and they do have quite a bit of extra space.

Nothing better, in my biased opinion, for cruising the oceans with a family than a Privilege. Very solid and a step up in quality from most other brands.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 01:03   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

If you like the FP Salina 48, please talk to the Multihull Solutions team, they have brokerage that will set you up in such a boat and you will continue to have their great resources and support as you make your voyage back to NZ and beyond. My wife and I purchased a new He'lia 44 from the factory and sailed extensively through the Mediterranean then across the Atlantic to the Caribbean, BVI's Bahamas and onto the US East Coast. Please contact me if you want further info etc.
Cheers Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 03:18   #4

I sailed with 4 kids from Mallorca to Aus over 3 years on a Nautitech 47. Personally, I think it's one of the most practical designs out there. People often comment on the outside helm stations, but we had a hydrovane and autopilot self steering and just never had to sit out there.
patrickvela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 10:42   #5

When your helm design is such that people are talking about all the ways they manage to never have to go there, there’s a problem with your helm design.

Bluewater means all weather and seas. Things break and there are times when you need actual hands on wheel. Low and exposed at the stern isn’t as safe as the raised cockpit helm of FP, Leopard, and the new “sport tops.” Still connected to the cockpit for socializing and much easier to control your sail plan from a single point since you are so short handed.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 14:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 664895ss View Post
I'm flying to Europe early 2019 with the intention of buying a cat to then sail back home to New Zealand and beyond. We intend to be on board for 5-6 years. With a budget of around 250,000 to 350,000 Euros to buy the boat. I have 4 children who will be aged between 4 and 11, my wife is very capable. I'm not keen on having a helm up on top of a flybridge, would prefer one where the 'helmsman' can still be involved with the rest of the family. I would prefer galley up as well. I like the idea of either the Fontaine Pajot Salina 48 or Nautitech 47, however am keen for suggestions or ideas of other suitable cats.
I'd doubted very much that you can find these boats at this price range, ready to sail and with all necessary tools to make long passages.
These are very good boats but if you fall short in cash, you can also try a FP Orana or Lagoon 440 which are very good and seaworthy boats. You can probably find a FP Belize or even a bit older FP Bahia 46 that are even faster..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 23:11   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I agree with Yeloya. An older but well maintained and updated Bahia would be my suggestion.
Old 25-07-2017, 14:38   #8

Boat: Lagoon, 52

We bought a new Lagoon 52F for our family of 4 (wife, daughter 1-13, daughter 2-5) and have found that everyone likes hanging out on the flybridge and no one hangs in the cockpit. For someone who wants to be in the salon we have a walkie talkie set up but it hasn't been really been used much either. We are currently sailing in Newport and will sail to the Caribbean in the fall. I love the visibility of the flybridge and the fully enclosed bimini is very comfortable in all weather. I think the other posters suggestions for boats are great ideas but I wanted to throw my two cents in for the flybridge because it does have some advantages. Good luck in your search.
LagunaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 13:11   #9

If you can find a Salina for 350k Euros in good condition it would be great boat, especially as kids get older and teenagers want some of their own space, just need a good survey. Lagoon 440 would also be good (despite what detractors may say, fly-bridge is place every one wants to be especially cruising between and among islands, great for shallow water eyeball navigation too and most times a cool breeze in the shade). For the small percentage of cruising time spent actually crossing oceans, the diehards can get a little fussy about pointing ability (ie Dagger board arguments), weight, speed, fly vs semi fly vs twin outboard helms etc. etc. at the end of the day I imagine your issue will be accommodation related and so IMO bigger would be better. Probably also means a bigger tender, with 6 aboard you will want a 20 HP at least. Other boats to consider would be Orana 44, Leopard 46 (2009 on) and the less expensive but older 47. All these boats cross oceans regularly and some will be slightly better than others in different aspects of a crossing, but the key factor I believe will be to find the boat in the right condition for the money. All these boats were on our shortlist when we started looking and the Salina was at the top, but none were suitable on price/age condition, but we have been really happy on a younger Lagoon 450 for 3 years now.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Europe, family, rope