Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 11:42   #31

Very roomy Woods cat for sale

Don't know what your timing is or your thoughts on production cat versus custom built, but I had similar travel aspirations when I decided to build my Richard Woods designed Transit. It is a very roomy 38 ft performance cat that we are about 80 - 85% of the way completed.

Unfortunately my finances have taken a turn for the worse and the dream is going to have to be delayed (hopefully not cancelled). Anyway, she is professionally built by Lombardi Yachts (of Chris White Atlantic 42 fame), and is for sale. You can view photos at Build n launch of Woods Transit 38 Catamaran . Advertising can also be viewed on Richard Woods site at Woods Designs Sailing Catamarans .

I don't get onto this site as often as I would like to, so if you are interested or have any questions, I can be reached via email at tg_53511@hotmail.com .
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:11   #32
cruiser

Boat: St Francis 50 on order
I am sorry but whilst she looks a stunning boat I am looking for a bigger boat than a 38 footer.

I hope things turn up better for you and that you one day continue with your dream.
Gludy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 07:26   #33

Discovery 50

Wow.

That boat looks simply stunning.

I love the big master berth forward of the bridge deck with access both sides.

Wow
jrb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 08:18   #34
cruiser

The Discovery 50 is on my list as well but its not built yet!

They have in mast reefing and I am sure will be a well built although heavy cat.
Old 21-07-2008, 12:15   #35

Boat: Privilege 37
Some points and observations:

o Having a friend that ripped one of her rudders off because it was the deepest part of the boat, I'd really suggest a boat with fixed keels in a short handed, large a boat as you're contemplating.

o When I was thinking of the size boat that would be okay for my wife and I, I wanted one that either of us could single hand for the most part. I did not want to have to wake up the off watch person to help reef, tack, or change the sail plan. With this as an objective, automation is a necessity and certainly added to the complexity of the boat. I have to assume you've made that consession. You will probably have to have electronic winches, all lines coming back to the cockpit, remote wireless steering is a big plus, electric windless, self tacking headsails, autopilot, GPS base charting, VHF radio at the helm, chart plotting at the helm, radar in your planned cruising area - at the helm, electronic sounding bell, perhaps in boom furling, electric davits (may not be completly necessary), dual anchoring system, Genset, A/C and all the other creature comforts (Ice maker, dishwasher, trash compactor!)

I'd add the St Francis to the list

I'd include any boat down to 44 feet. For two people it is a LOT of boat/space! What are you going to do with six cabins?

Some additional observations. Due to your beam, finding a place to haul, and a place to dock will be a challenge. Think 25 foot, or possibly higher beam. You will have to come out on lifts that are normally used for the 100+ footers, you'll almost assuredly have to be on a Tee dock. Since you have already experienced docking on a large boat with high windage, I won't mention anything in that area except to say it is larely the same issues. Except, I am not sure if I recall any bow thrusters on the large cats. You can certainly use the twin engines, but that may take a little getting used to if you're accostomed to the thrusters.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 12:57   #36
cruiser

We have already settled on fixed keels only - we are not looking at dagger boards at all.

You are spot on with that list of goodies - we will be wanting them all.

We are sailing in a St Francis 50 next week.

We are not going to have 6 cabins - just three with one hull for us.

Your remarks on thrusters, docking and lifts are all valid and understood.

Thrusters would be nice and Gideon came up with a very good idea of having jet thrusters angled down a bit.

We trailed the FastCat this last weekend and move onto the Leopard 46, Admiral 50, Privilege 495 and the St Francis 50 next week.

After that round we should have learnt enough to plan the next steps in the process.
Old 21-07-2008, 13:05   #37

Boat: Privilege 37
You found one with 3 cabins! Outstanding. it was something of an exageration the 6 cabins (well, maybe not) But, I love the 3 cabin configuration. That is what originally attracted me to the privilege 37. It was the only cat with 3 cabins in that size range I could find.

I was listing the equipment not so much as a what would be nice, but, what I'd think would be essential for shorthanding a boat that size. LOTS of other goodies will certainly be bought/lusted after.

Good luck, sound like fun! My wife just told me we can upgrade to a new 435 privilege. Now all I have to do is figure out how to pay for all the goodies that are essential for it. ;-)
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote