Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 20:50   #1

Boat: 1979 WD Shock Santana 30'
Buying a boat that was extensively raced?

I am considering looking at a boat that was extensively raced. It is a 1984 Islander Bahama 30 tall rig. What Are the typical problems that crop up with boats that have been raced hard? I don’t want to go to the expense of surveying a boat like this if it is going to need a bunch of expensive repairs and I end up walking away. The up side is that it supposedly has very few hours on the Yanmar engine, has a tiller and these boats are supposed to be good sailers. Thanks in advance.
DEC2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:08   #2

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: Buying a boat that was extensively raced?

Depends,
I have seen boats being raced and being maintained in a very high point which is good for the boat and i have seen boats that are being negleted or at least parts of them its all about the owner and the money he wants and have to spent on the boat.
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:56   #3

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Buying a boat that was extensively raced?

I agree with gmakhs. The fact that it has been raced extensively does not in and of itself tell you anything.

There is a Hinckley Bermuda 40 out of Annapolis, raced extensively, that the owner has lavished with attention and money. It’s gorgeous.

There are J/35s that are pushed hard and put away wet with no regard for cosmetics or maintaining systems not directly related to the boat going faster.

But to answer your question I would be most concerned about the standing rigging, running rigging, and deck hardware. This is the stuff that takes a beating on a race boat. You’re constantly replacing stuff given the stresses you put on it that might last 5x longer or more on a boat that is not raced.

And while the boat may have an impressive sail inventory, check each sail carefully. If you race hard and often you can wear out a sail in a season.

Tags
boat, buying, race