Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-07-2012, 14:33   #61

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Buying a Boat Overseas ?

I'm in Australia till the end of the month seeing the Grandkids and finalising some business. I can be around Sibenik mid next month, the only drama is where exactly as it may be easier for me to go from Primosten by car because the season here is heating up which means mooring at the Quay is around 600Kuna a night.

Let me know details to mailfrank @ mail .com and i'll try to figure........

Old 03-07-2012, 15:13   #62

Sure I will I only just found it last night and it seems a much better candidate but I guess we will see. So did you fly to australia? as soon as I get more details I will let you know. How is the job market in Croatia? Any room for a Canadian speaking english?

Old 03-07-2012, 15:19   #63

Yes we flew out of Split to Frankfurt to London to Hong Kong to Brisbane to Gladstone 'tis fun :-)

There is no job market in Croatia, they are fairly poor and most only get to work during summer as their are no tourists etc any other time.

Croatian is a difficult language with no similar phrases to Anglaise...

Let me know details i'll do something if it fits our travel plans, we exit to Greece soon.
Old 03-07-2012, 15:27   #64

I want to find someone in the Med that we can "settle down" to an extent basically make home base and such. Or should I just stick to eventually moving back to the east coast of the states? My wife and I want some change.
Old 03-07-2012, 15:38   #65

Living is cheap here and there's lots of doer upperers,,, a beautiful peaceful place with a sad past ..... Could do worse
Old 03-07-2012, 15:40   #66

I do have another important question. My wife and I will need financing for the boat we are looking at. Does anyone know of any lenders that will lend on a boat out of country?
Old 03-07-2012, 15:41   #67

Croatia is beautiful! If we can find a way to sustain ourselfs there it would definitely be on the list.
Old 03-07-2012, 15:44   #68

Think you don't have much of a hope ex USA .....
Old 03-07-2012, 15:46   #69

Unless you are in the Tourist industry and do seasonal work then there's not much, this country has suffered and the locals future is difficult.
Old 03-07-2012, 15:48   #70

Yeah I might have to stick to Italy or the UK for a job. Is it possible to use our personal boat for day charters?
Old 03-07-2012, 15:54   #71

A bit hard unless you have Euro rights ie a UK passport.

Forget chartering a second hand boat anywhere it just wont work, Europe is full of Marina's that are full of charter boats. You may be best to buy in States learn the boat craft then you'll be able to make solid choices, these ideas you are having sound like you are office bound/bored?
Old 03-07-2012, 16:03   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44

I've just spent 5 years and over $100k getting a mono ready for cruising.

I do realise that cats are cheap to buy and even cheaper to do up, and doing it in a foreign country where every marine item is imported and you don't speak the language is even cheaper again.

I also know that not having a survey, doing it on borrowed money and not having a job makes everything cost less.

But even allowing for all of the above I cannot see how the budget discussed will cover the cost of the project.

Reading this thread is like watching a slow motion train crash.
Old 03-07-2012, 16:09   #73

TOTALLY AGREE buy a 35ft mono for 20k and enjoy working on it, learning and sailing, ease in gently.....
Old 03-07-2012, 16:30   #74

we have a source of income in the states. One of the boats we are looking at is done but would need to be partially financed. The one in italy would not need to be financed but it needs another 20k worth of work. So its either buy one for 50k and put 20 into it or buy one for 90k already done. A good mono costs 40-50k we just would rather have a cat and dont mind putting the work and time into it. I understand that this may be a comical thing to you but I come here not as a comedian but as someone wanting to truely do this. Everything is open. We wouldnt have a job if we lived in EU thats a given isnt it because we dont currently live there so I dont see why looking for a job in EU is that funny.. I also dont see why wanting to save some money and purchase a bigger cat for a little more comfortable living on the anchor is that funny either... I understand that the experience is a big thing to lack. But we all have to start somewhere and this is the same way I have done everything in my life and I understand the risks but there are rewards as well. If everything worked out a 52' cat with a lot of work done to it for $70,000 (+ time) is that not worth it? You can hardly buy a decently used gemini 34' for that. This is what I want to do. Also I dont know where I said "IM NOT GOING TO GET A SURVEY" but I talked to the broker he said an in depth survey is from 600-1000 euros. A boat that big and in that condition of course I would get a survey..
Old 03-07-2012, 16:41   #75

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney View Post
we have a source of income in the states. One of the boats we are looking at is done but would need to be partially financed. The one in italy would not need to be financed but it needs another 20k worth of work. So its either buy one for 50k and put 20 into it or buy one for 90k already done. A good mono costs 40-50k we just would rather have a cat and dont mind putting the work and time into it. I understand that this may be a comical thing to you but I come here not as a comedian but as someone wanting to truely do this. Everything is open. We wouldnt have a job if we lived in EU thats a given isnt it because we dont currently live there so I dont see why looking for a job in EU is that funny.. I also dont see why wanting to save some money and purchase a bigger cat for a little more comfortable living on the anchor is that funny either... I understand that the experience is a big thing to lack. But we all have to start somewhere and this is the same way I have done everything in my life and I understand the risks but there are rewards as well. If everything worked out a 52' cat with a lot of work done to it for $70,000 (+ time) is that not worth it? You can hardly buy a decently used gemini 34' for that. This is what I want to do. Also I dont know where I said "IM NOT GOING TO GET A SURVEY" but I talked to the broker he said an in depth survey is from 600-1000 euros. A boat that big and in that condition of course I would get a survey..
You had better start applying for visa/work permit. i am not so sure they are so easy to obtain in Italy. ???

Tags
buying

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: