Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-04-2011, 17:53   #31
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Re: Buy a Cat which is Complete @ $$$ or Requires Refit @ $

I am really surprised at the comments to leave hands off. Life is full of lessons, and learning how to repair a diesel can be one of them. I am not an electrician, but I installed solar, radar, electric windlass, repaired wood damaged, painted the boat. As I typed before that paying someone else is not a guarantee it will be right.........i2f

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 20:08   #32

I have the same thoughts and plans as you do.
If something like a Manta 42 is big enough, you can actually outfit it with practically everything for close to $500K. This includes from the dinghy to the washer/dryer, water maker, solar panels, wind turbine and self-inflating life raft and EBIRP.

I hate that a lot of companies do not have any prices posted. You feel like you are haggling with a used-car salesperson. I wish there would be more price transparency. Antares also has a detailed price list while most of the other ones are: "call us...".

Regarding the DIY. You have to weigh the pros (experience, able to fix it yourself in the middle of nowhere) and cons (time and money). You can go to the marine diesel engine courses that are offered in Florida and other places and learn a lot about the engines. There are a lot of courses offered during boat shows. The only thing you cannot buy is time.

I am considering a new, fully equipped boat, going to as many courses as possible and then getting my feet wet in coastal waters and the Caribbean before venturing out.

Old 29-04-2011, 14:11   #33

Just realized that a Lagoon 400 offers the same space as a Catana 471 ... and fully loaded and brand new, it cost a lot less then a 10 year old Catana 471.

Any thoughts ?
Old 29-04-2011, 14:44   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42

Zonker; there are a lot of miles between dreaming and doing.
If you were buying a car or a house, you could reasonably expect to pay the man a pocket full of money, get in and just go on, but it doesn't happen that way on an ocean. For one, you will know you've just sailed out of sight of land when things you need start breaking right and left. No one is going to fix them for you, and you can't get back to the closest fixer without them.

No experienced cruiser goes anywhere without knowing how to cope with a failure of any essential element. And learning to cope comes from doing, not reading, especially when half the advice you read comes from cruiser-wanna-bees who may have read something somewhere and pass it on as gospel.

The truth is you can learn a lot from this and other forums, but half of it is wrong. The best (and most enjoyable) way to become a sailor is to sail. Nobody buys their last boat first (unless its a terrible mistake!) so just get started. Get a boat, learn it. Get another boat, learn it too. Learn how to fix a head, change a water pump impeller, test the connections on radios, service the winches, sew a tear in a sail, and become aware of weather patterns. If this doesn't appeal to you, your picture of cruising is highly romanticized, and you will be sadly disappointed!

Take a week or two away from day-trading, and spend a couple of those hard(ly) earned bucks on a charter.
Old 29-04-2011, 22:11   #35
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hia-59710.html

Right here in the forum could be what you seek..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 22:50   #36

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
Just realized that a Lagoon 400 offers the same space as a Catana 471 ... and fully loaded and brand new, it cost a lot less then a 10 year old Catana 471.

Any thoughts ?
Thoughts? Sure, lots ... but I'd start here with this post by Sandy ... Buy a Cat which is Complete @ $$$ or Requires Refit @ $

Best advice you are going to get anywhere!
Old 30-04-2011, 22:38   #37

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

Zonker... A catana and a lagoon may have the same space... but you should really go sail both of them in some nasty weather and then work out why there is a difference in price. There are a lot of lagoons in charter ..... and a few Catanas.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:18   #38

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Zonker,

Look at the weight of a Lagoon 400 versus a Catana 471. Then look at the size of their respective sail plans. And finally, check out the hull profiles.

A quick look at the stats makes it pretty clear they are designed for two different markets. You've just highlighted the choice every potential purchaser has to make: cost & performance versus cost & creature comforts.

They are vastly different boats. And given that cost is the fixed part of the equation (for most), you simply need to decide whether your bias is leaning towards performance or creature comforts.
Old 03-05-2011, 19:31   #39
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Zonker --

Sandy is so right! Read his post. Now, read it, again! Do you know the difference between a running fix and a running fax? A joker valve and The Joker?

I'm really not trying to be mean, seriously. I don't think anyone else is, either. The fact of the matter is that the ocean is a beautiful and completely unforgiving mistress who will kill you without a moment's notice. I really don't want to read about you, or any other member, in such a situation.

Take some classes. They are a good way to get structured instruction and you have to block off the time to do them. Go sailing, as much as you can. Beg others to take you. Offer to crew. Let us know where you're located and see if other forum members might take you. Charter. Progressively push yourself more and more. Get your fingernails dirty. Practice those knots. Learn, learn, learn.

ID

P.S. A "brand new" boat just means that you have lots of things to fix you just don't know about, yet. It certainly does not mean that all is perfect and you don't have to worry about anything.

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: