Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-01-2010, 12:53   #1

Butterfly Repairs

The latest instalment of the blog from the owners of Butterfly, a Fastcat 445, makes interesting reading: of Butterfly and Barnacle.

I realise that this is not the place to settle disputes between customers and vendors, so I won't go there, but would just like to say that I find it bizarre in the extreme that the builder of this cat - only the fourth one launched - is not moving heaven and earth to (1) repair what appears to be a pretty serious structural failure, and (2) find out why it happened to ensure it won't happen again - as I understand it there has been one more of these Fastcats launched since Butterfly and more are in build. If it were my boat-building business I would be flying to Grenada to find out as much as I could and put it right on this and future boats.

In addition to the cracked bulkhead the owners of Butterfly are busy repairing cracked transoms and a leaking (built-in) fuel tank amongst other things. I have no doubt that when repairs are complete they will have a structurally sound boat and can finally get on with sailing, which is of course what they want to be doing - but what a shame that they've had to go through all this aggravation and expense.

Am I alone in thinking this?
Dedzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 13:20   #2

I know if anything in my line of work were to fail in this manner, I would be sending a team to investigate the problem.

It would also seem to be in the very best interests of a manufacturer to take advantage of the live testing this couple have conducted, and simply use the data for further design and development of the product.

I hope this boat is set right soon, and these nice folks can head on their way without as much worry as surely has been planted firmly in their minds.
whiskey is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: