Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 04:37   #76

Boat: In the market
Hud,
As you wish.
I will not comment further.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:41   #77

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblanford View Post
I made the comment about the rube goldberg boat but it was not in reference to your boat.
I'm confused now - to whose boat were you referring with this comment?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:47   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
And I thought Canada had switched to the Metric system some 30 years ago ?
Gideon

And I thought Dutchmen had a sense of humour?

My response was a lighthearted response to our mutual friend who apparently comes from one of the 3 countries on this planet that have not gone metric.

Kevin
Old 02-10-2008, 05:08   #79

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblanford View Post
Hey Nordic Cat,

Bear with me here as I try to figure this one out.
Lets see,
Fastcat designs boats, ok.
Quote:
You design boats, yeah.
Yes, one boat, with the help of a NA.

Fastcat builds boats in South Africa.

Quote:
You are going to build boats in South Africa, uh huh.
An independent boatyard is building a boat for me -correct. Does that make me a vendor?

It does give me certain insights to the design and build processes.

Quote:
Fastcat is listed as a commercial vendor, check.
You are listed as a registered user???????
Correct - maybe you need to look up what a vendor is? English is not my mother tongue, but I was under the impression it is someone who offers things for sale? Plaese correct me if this is incorrect.

Quote:
It's getting a little more clear now, almost there.

What is?

Quote:
Fastcat lays out information about how he builds boats.
You try to twist the numbers and info to make him look bad.
You represent yourself to be just a regular guy trying to keep the evil vendors honest, when in fact you are intentionally misleading people on this forum for your own business gain. I wondered why your over zealous and twisted attempts against Fastcat seemed unrealistic and inappropriate. Now I know.
I made the comment about the rube goldberg boat but it was not in reference to your boat. That connection you made yourself.
Please explain how i can make money out of this- I'm afraid that my maybe limited capacity can not make the connection, so please enlighten me. Might be a new business opportunity

If I at some stage do decide to attempt to sell a boat, then rest assured that I will change my status to that of a vendor.
What commercial gain can I achieve by pointing out disparities in claims? Even if I was a vendor, where do a 43 footer and 49 footer compete in the marketplace?

The PM i sent you fully reflects my view, and I stand by it, thanks for posting it.

Robert, I think you need to lighten up and chill out. If you actually read what I have written, my only claim was the disparities between the facts and what was claimed. The Fastcat is probably as good a boat as any, and as I don't know that for a fact, I can't claim either way.

I think we are now dragging yet another thread towards implosion, may I suggest get back on course?

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:16   #80
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
And I thought Dutchmen had a sense of humour?

My response was a lighthearted response to our mutual friend who apparently comes from one of the 3 countries on this planet that have not gone metric.

Kevin
Because of my Humor I reacted since in my vision it is the only workable system

Warm Greetings

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:33   #81

Gideon,

You're right that Canada made the official switch about 30 years ago, but I can't say that we have actually completed it. Just the other day I remarked to my wife that a government website was using Imperial figures only
Perhaps it is the proximity to the US, or the fact that the powers that be insist on using the most ridiculous, cumbersome metric units, but Imperial has refused to die here. In fact my local river chart is marked in feet and fathoms

Kevin
Old 02-10-2008, 05:36   #82

Gideon,

I forgot to add, if you consider metric to be "the only workable system", do Fastcat knotmeters only read in Km/h?

Kevin
Old 02-10-2008, 05:42   #83
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Gideon,

I forgot to add, if you consider metric to be "the only workable system", do Fastcat knotmeters only read in Km/h?

Kevin
They can actually be switched between KM , NM and Knots and since the earth is still measured in degrees minutes and seconds I have set mine to Sea Miles

p.s. it takes over one generation to make a total change in something like going to the Metric system so that might be the reason why this government website is still in the Imperial system , must be old people working on this government website.

greetings

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:49   #84
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
This will bring some interesting posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just didn't realize how interesting..........
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:51   #85
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
p.s. it takes over one generation to make a total change in something like going to the Metric system so that might be the reason why this government website is still in the Imperial system , must be old people working on this government website.
Having, until recently, operated a number of Government (Canada) web sites, yes I can honestly say "I'm Old"! But I don't do that anymore so maybe I'm not really old!

I had the pleasure of meeting the guy who championed Trudeau's vision of metric in Canada a few years ago. For the life of me I can't remember his name but he was a nice fella. He told us back then that when they got started there were over 300 different measurement standards for length, weight, volume etc. in Canada. Everything from bushels, pecks, barrels, leagues, fathoms, furlongs etc.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:56   #86

Boat: Valiant 50
I think its pretty well undeniable that Fastcat uses this forum to market his product with approximately 1200 posts on this forum alone in the last year or so! How could anyone start up and run a fledgling manufacturing business 10000 miles away from his home and yet still find the time to generate 100 posts a month?

Nevertheless, I for one am extremely happy to read Fastcats posts, they are both informative and knowledgeable. Keep them coming Gideon, we all learn from them and are appreciative.

If someone were to be silly enough to plonk down a $1 mill for a boat that he has only researched on this forum and worse still, solely on the word of the vendor.... well, he deserves what he gets. A fool and his money...etc etc

They grey area, and this is what Nordic, Gludy et al are all about, is when some of the content of his posts become extravagant with the claims of the various properties of the Africa Cat - in this case the weight.

This is probably due to Fastcats justifiable pride in his creation coupled with an overdeveloped propensity to sell his product.

Again, no one is denying the Africa Cat is a magnificent boat and brimming with innovations. There are also a whole raft of at least equally magnificent boats out there. Magnificence being in the eye of the beholder after all.

Nordic's and Gludys frustrations are with the extravagant claims made on a forum that purports to be of a neutral and non-commercial content. I sympathize with their frustration but the reality is that this is a "dot com" forum not a "dot org". Someone owns it and someone is making money out of it - commercial interests will always prevail. Someone has to pay the piper.

Without passionate people like Nordic, Gludy, Big Cat - to name but a few, who challenge the veracity of the commercial interests on this forum it will revert to yet another cyber sales catalog. Keep up the good work, we read your posts and are appreciative and we learn from them. I thank you.

Note to Moderators: Shooting the Messenger has never proved to be a good idea. Bring back Gludy and Big Cat.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:09   #87
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Not to start trouble. I see Gludy logged in almost daily. I have nothing against that, but some here act like he was banished. He is still following along, and I can't blame him. Again I don't think it is what has been posted, but the tone it was posted in that starts the bikkering........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:24   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Would anyone object if I closed this thread?

I'd leave it open, if I felt anyone had any additional substantive information or constructive comments to make.

We seem to have gone full circle, on the weight issue (original topic), and seem to have degenerated into a personality conflict.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:44   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Would anyone object if I closed this thread?

I'd leave it open, if I felt anyone had any additional substantive information or constructive comments to make.

We seem to have gone full circle, on the weight issue (original topic), and seem to have degenerated into a personality conflict.

Go ahead and put a zip tie on it Gord. Might I suggest an official 'Piss and Moan Section' that all threads which degenerate into this type of banter can be deposited into? That way the parties who enjoy the back and forth that leads nowhere can continue their back and forth until their hearts content, and the remainder of us can continue to exchange information like gentlemen. If they have a specific place to vent their frustrations, then perhaps it won't keep infecting other thread topics. That way, we who are not a part of the "gripe" can simply steer clear of the 'piss and moan section' (except for an occasional friday's night entertainment).
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:58   #90

Look, it is a lovely boat, the owners seem happy, maybe Gideon made a buck or two, maybe not. At the end of the day, it weighs what it weighs.

Performance will be measured this year when several Fastcats sail the ARC. I suspect the factory boat will perform well, the cruisers will have a bit of fun and finish as the waterline speed allows. My guess for the kruuzers: 7 to 7.7 knots for the trip average, my guess for the factory boat: 7.5 to 8.2 knots for the trip average......
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote