Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2015, 06:49   #1

Build or buy

Hi all

I'm in a mix zone pressently and was wondering the following we are a couple who plans to retire in 3 years time and go sailing we are both around 40 and have been looking in to catamaran in the 50' range
We have looked at alibi 54 ,outremere 51 and 5x the catana 53 and 59 plus the nautitech 542 but there are features in each boat we like and some we don't like .... So here comes the question .... What would it cost to design our own catamaran roughly and what would be the cost of building one I know. It is not easy to say ... We have a budget from 1.5. To 2.2 million Euro

We are looking for a fast crusing cat but still with comfort
Catbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 09:28   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Build or buy

No offense, but if you can truly budget ~€2 million for a 50' boat you can easily afford to pick up a phone and offer to pay Chris White, or Melvin and Morelli, or Peter Johnstone, or any other cat builder for a couple of days of their time working out a preliminary plan and budget. And you'll get way more accurate responses than anything you'll find here. Even better, if you really are in that € bracket, and they think you are, they'll probably do it for free to get a new, high-spending client.

If you can work with existing hull designs (so no new molds or one-off builds are required) and only change the layouts, then you could probably do it for half your budget (and send the other half this way so I can get a copy of your boat). If you want a complete custom one-off because none of the available hull shapes suits you then you could still do it well within that budget but it will cost you significantly more than semi-custom.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 10:40   #3

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbuyer View Post
Hi all

I'm in a mix zone pressently and was wondering the following we are a couple who plans to retire in 3 years time and go sailing we are both around 40 and have been looking in to catamaran in the 50' range
We have looked at alibi 54 ,outremere 51 and 5x the catana 53 and 59 plus the nautitech 542 but there are features in each boat we like and some we don't like .... So here comes the question .... What would it cost to design our own catamaran roughly and what would be the cost of building one I know. It is not easy to say ... We have a budget from 1.5. To 2.2 million Euro

We are looking for a fast crusing cat but still with comfort
You missed one manufacturer that is very much worth looking at. Privilege makes excellent cats and is ready to customize just the way you want. Within their hull shape, of course. But you can go pretty wild. And easily fit into your budget.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 13:58   #4

If I had 2.2 million euro to spend it would be a boat designed for me and custom built for sure.

But you'd certainly be able to get "more boat" buying a production one. Mine would sail rings around it though.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 17:07   #5

Our first objective measures to find out what a rough price would be to have one designed for our spec and then secondary find a boat builder to make it .. sorry if that was not clear

Sent from my HTC One using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-07-2015, 17:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
You missed one manufacturer that is very much worth looking at.Privilege makes excellent cats and is ready to customize just the way you want. Within their hull shape, of course. But you can go pretty wild. And easily fit into your budget.
Seafrog from our understanding a Privilege is similar to lagoon just at a higher price but not so much a performance focus catamaran we have looked at lagoon ,fp and also Privilege but find them to more a luxury catamaran And none of us the fly bridge concept

Old 25-07-2015, 18:25   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Unfortunately fast and comfort are opposite ends of the design spectrum so you will need to make some compromise somewhere along the line, depending on our personal requirements. Have a read of Hugh's thread for some good insights from an experienced sailor who pretty much knows what he wants as far as performance and comfort. I doubt it would be worthwhile custom designing a cat. With all the large and small production companies and cat designers, it's not likely you will design and build anything significantly different to something that's already available, many of which are very customisable.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-141906.html
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 19:29   #8

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I agree with Monte. What would custom vs what you forgot to custom and what would your custom screw up.

Does 'Gunboat' build anything you like. Maybe custom more strength in certain areas.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 03:20   #9

Red face Re: Build or buy

Performance and comfort are not mutually exclusive. They are on the cheaper end of the market but not so on the upper end.
Doe818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 04:28   #10

Quote:
Seafrog from our understanding a Privilege is similar to lagoon just at a higher price but not so much a performance focus catamaran we have looked at lagoon ,fp and also Privilege but find them to more a luxury catamaran And none of us the fly bridge concept
Privilege is not Lagoon. It is a quality custom (not production) built cat that they build to order. Comparing Lagoon and Privilege is a bit not correct. Just like FP for that matter.

Privilege is very much about luxury, yes. Quality stuff, no shortcuts, built to last and to give comfort. It is not built for speed, that's for sure, but it does not lack speed either. While it is not a performance cat, it's performance is adequate. And they (series 5) don't have a flybridge, and never had. You probably saw Series 6. I have looked at a lot of cats, and while many are more than adequate for summer on the sea, or charter, I found very few that I would be willing to spend 10 years living on full-time (it is all about comfort and safety for me). Privilege is one of them. However, if you are only willing to use it from time to time to sail fast from one place to another - then probably performance is more important.
Old 26-07-2015, 04:48   #11

Boat: Traditional 30

I would buy a young 2nd hand one..

From a purely financial prospective, there is much to be saved on buying someone elses fully kitted out boat as it has depreciated by a bucket load in the first year of ownership.

Else for every dollar you spend, you could at best only see an 80% return a year or two later.

The other thing is it puts you on the water much much faster and you can use it on weekends prior to your retirement.
Oh and did I mention the previous owner will have spend time working all the bugs out.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 07:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post

Privilege is very much about luxury, yes. Quality stuff, no shortcuts, built to last and to give comfort. It is not built for speed, that's for sure, but it does not lack speed either. While it is not a performance cat, it'
Hi frog we have seen pictures of the new 5 series and she looks nice for sure.

We will be living on our boat but we will also like to race with her and configure the cat with lot a of carbon and a rotating mast as well And we would love to complete against other racing cats and I know presently there is some people working on making a race for catamaran who are not build only for race but cat like the gunboat and. Moxie and so on

And we plan to test sail in SEA or the med and we will for the first periods of time use it for short trips to learn and fix what needs to be fixed .... And we can get to know our cat ....

We have set a side 18-24 month for building time .... And then another 2 year to learn how to handle it .....

Old 26-07-2015, 08:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
I would buy a young 2nd hand one..

From a purely financial prospective, there is much to be saved on buying someone elses fully kitted out boat as it has depreciated by a bucket load in the first year of ownership.

Else for every dollar you spend, you could at best only see an 80% return a year or two later.

The other thing is it puts you on the water much much faster and you can use it on weekends prior to your retirement.
Oh and did I mention the previous owner will have spend time working all the bugs out.
Hi ozskipper

We agree in value for no st we can get more but we believe the things we need to have on we require us to build a new one ....
But for our training boat we will look for a second actually we will look at one in 3 weeks time in Phuket

Old 26-07-2015, 08:35   #14

Quote:
We will be living on our boat but we will also like to race with her and configure the cat with lot a of carbon and a rotating mast as well And we would love to complete against other racing cats and I know presently there is some people working on making a race for catamaran who are not build only for race but cat like the gunboat and. Moxie and so on
Yeah then I guess you will need to turn to some performance cats. Just different priorities compared to mine. I wish you a lot of fun sailing and racing!
Old 26-07-2015, 08:41   #15

Define fast and define comfort.

You can have any two of fast, comfort or reasonably priced.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote