Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2007, 22:12   #91

if anyone is interested I've just finished an excel spreadsheet of all costs to build a schionning wilderness 12.5m. I can post to interested parties all in NZ $

Cheers
Old 20-02-2007, 02:12   #92

Boat: A cat of some sort.
Hi All.... complete newbie here

Hi Everyone.... another aussie hoping to buy, build or 'borrow' a multi at some point and just bugger off... like to thank you all for the great insights.

Hey Southernman any chance of gettting a copy of that spreadsheet?
Old 20-02-2007, 03:46   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman
if anyone is interested I've just finished an excel spreadsheet of all costs to build a schionning wilderness 12.5m. I can post to interested parties all in NZ $

Cheers
Do you mean a Wilderness 1230? I don't think there is a 12.5 .
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 12:15   #94

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43
Face reality, buy a production yacht which needs elbowgrease! That's definitely your best choice. Because:
1. You will actually get onbord a boat, self builders failure rates are probably scearingly hi. Most boats I've seen on land are still that!
2. If you ever want to sell your boat is recognised by the public and are sellable world wide. In an investment this big, regardless of what you believe life is going to do for you - it have to sellable if situation changes.
3. The cost of buying materials and all equipment one off is a far cry from the big guys with huge buiyng power.
4. As an example a friend of mine who had actually built a cat in Queensland had plans for building a Fusion 40 for his son, said after some initial calcs after I pointed out the above to him that the project would need AUD $400k to be completed properly.
5. After living 11 years in lovely Australia I've found that good boats are rare as hens teath! Because the pollies are taxing impotation of boats that heavy that building your own is the sole opportunity to get on bord one.

Take a flight to the south pacific and buy a reputable charter cat and sail her home to Aussie. Probably the best option as far as can see.

Happy lead free sailin

I've been around bots for 40 years and the few I have seen in the drink was acomplished by some really determined exquisite blokes who had more than avarage skills in a lot of different building areas!

Lifes short don't spend time building when you can go sailing!!!!!

Anyway that's me and I'm so happy that I was able to purchase my Belize 43, actually paid for today. Next week I'm out sailing (bugger the temperture -8degC today)
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 12:44   #95

Boat: 27' CSK, Hula Kai
Send a message via Yahoo to fhrussell
As much as I love sailing.... I love building and designing just as much!! And, to launch and sail a boat of your own design and construction is a feeling close to watching your child taking his/her first steps.
fhrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 19:10   #96

It's got to be something you want to do. Getting into a building project thinking it's a cheap, easy way to get a boat is likely to result in failure. You have to want to build a boat, not just to own one.

That said, which boat you build also makes a difference - some are a lot more difficult than they need to be - it's much more encouraging if you can see decent progress at the end of a days work. For instance:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...00&userid=3477

After one week and one day. Progress like that keeps you motivated, and keeps the dream alive. (Of course it does slow down a bit later.)

Re the cost of building a Fusion - they are a more expensive kit, but they are also sold in a much higher state of completion, and with very high quality finishes on the parts. They are also a much quicker build, and yes, you do pay for it.
Old 21-02-2007, 19:17   #97

Boat: 27' CSK, Hula Kai
Send a message via Yahoo to fhrussell
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat
Re the cost of building a Fusion - they are a more expensive kit, but they are also sold in a much higher state of completion, and with very high quality finishes on the parts. They are also a much quicker build, and yes, you do pay for it.
I'm guessing the resale value is pretty high on the Fusion. High quality parts and an attractive design, and plenty of livable space for a 40 footer.
fhrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 00:58   #98

Boat: now floating easy37
those orams must be faster to build than i orignially thought, i figured they took the same time as a schionning which is why i went the ply route 2000hrs vs 4000hrs
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 04:35   #99

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Not as many round's as the Schionning, so they'll be a few day's faster to build.

Though i'd argue that a radius is easier to build than a hard line/join, and keep fair/straight.

I'm sure you've figured out now that the shell is the easy bit, which is why so many crowd's sell lock up shell's.

Is it just me or did those pic's look like the hull's only had about 1.5 metres of width in them at shoulder height, compared to my 2.4 meter's

Dave
Old 22-02-2007, 04:43   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Face reality, buy a production yacht which needs elbowgrease! That's definitely your best choice. Because:
1. You will actually get onbord a boat, self builders failure rates are probably scearingly hi. Most boats I've seen on land are still that!
2. If you ever want to sell your boat is recognised by the public and are sellable world wide. In an investment this big, regardless of what you believe life is going to do for you - it have to sellable if situation changes.
3. The cost of buying materials and all equipment one off is a far cry from the big guys with huge buiyng power.
4. As an example a friend of mine who had actually built a cat in Queensland had plans for building a Fusion 40 for his son, said after some initial calcs after I pointed out the above to him that the project would need AUD $400k to be completed properly.

)
On that bit I will say............. Bollock's,.......... in a nice way

Dave
Old 22-02-2007, 06:07   #101
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:

Cheers
Please do or drop it to me by e-mail. knottybuoyzii at personainternet.com

Thanks.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 06:31   #102

Quote:

Cheers
I'd be interested as we'll on dave.5678@hotmail.com.au

Thanks
Old 22-02-2007, 07:00   #103

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:

Cheers
Love to compare your prices to what I am being quoted
hangmikeo@optusnet.com.au
Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 07:19   #104

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43
Final reply to this thread

Getting into a boat that's got the price tag of a house is as far as reason would prevail a serious business matter. That has been my argument in this thread. I would strongly recommend would be builders for the reason of saving money forget it!

Muslims won't become christians and die hard boatbuilders are not very different!!
Happy lead free sailin
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 16:32   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat
those orams must be faster to build than i orignially thought, i figured they took the same time as a schionning which is why i went the ply route 2000hrs vs 4000hrs
sean
Bob's boats are built differently from the Schionnings Wilderness boats. The way theWilderness boats are built is basically an adaptation of strip plank building, ie. upside-down over the bulkheads, plus some temp bulkheads. This means the panels have to be lifted onto the boat and held there (by rachet straps etc) while they are glued and taped. Then the inside fillets and tapes have to be done overhead, with you standing inside the hull in the dark with epoxy dripping down on you......

Bob builds right-side up in female frames : http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...00&userid=3477

So gravity holds the panels in place, they just need some tabbing to align the edges. The inside fillets and tapes are done downhand, and are very easy and comfortable to do. (I hate working overhead) Once the inside tapes are done the hull is rolled over and the outside is taped and faired - again, downhand (minimal fairing is needed too)

I'd be surprised if ply boat could be built as quick as the same boat in Duflex - duflex comes glassed on both sides for a start, and can be bought pre-scarfed for joining panels. Duflex boats are also essentially monocoque - there are bulkheads, but no frames or stringers in them.

« proas? | Used Cat's »