Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2007, 00:55   #76

I think that multihull australia mag is not so hot. A lot of the yacht reviews show bias. What annoyed me most about the mag is that they sourced most of their NZ articles from Boating NZ which I had already read some months before. It was a bummer buying the mag and finding you had already read the article.

We have just had a multihull open day here in Auckland organised by the Multihull club here in Auckland - great day with many great designs on show. Remember their are now many good Kiwi cat designers out there, and so far not so many cowboys. You have to say that Australia sure is the home of some horrible cat design, and some really nice designs such as Schionning and Graingers.
Old 19-02-2007, 02:43   #77

Boat: now floating easy37
name some of the hprrible cat designs come on come on, and im a nz aussie so you cant claim bias
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 03:52   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman
I think that multihull australia mag is not so hot. A lot of the yacht reviews show bias. .
name one please
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 04:15   #79

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
There is one that comes to mind

multihavenpics

The Horror, The Horror

Can't think of any others I don't like

Dave
Old 19-02-2007, 04:29   #80

Boat: now floating easy37
ok, there has to be an exception
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 04:44   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat
ok, there has to be an exception
sean
Only one though, I think

Dave
Old 19-02-2007, 05:03   #82
Marine Service Provider

The multihaven isnt an australian design - I think its a prout copy, and its not an australian build. The principles in the company arent even exclusively Australian any more
Old 19-02-2007, 11:15   #83

The Hitchhiker range - John Hitch, The fastback range - not so pretty but an old design, The Elite (not sure if that is Aussie but a lot over there). I like Mike prescott but some of his hull shapes are strange. Look I've read many multihull mags and when I get them out of storage some time soon I'll give you a full list. It was interestering looking through them a year or so back and noting just how many cat companies no longer produce product - though in fairness most have met market expectations and moved onto better designs. What happened to 'that company' that moved to China all in a huff about lack of support from Australian Govt etc? That design from memory was pretty terrible.

In fairness most cats preduced now out of Aussie are not bad as far as looks go, but you would have to agree that their were some pretty ugly cats coming out in the early 90's/ late 80's. Plywood Box's is a term we could use.

There is no doubt that Australia leads the market in mid range designed semi production cats, where as the top end one off build market is met here in NZ. France probably leads the way for flair and ideas though.

Interesting debate!
Old 19-02-2007, 12:40   #84
Marine Service Provider

Actually my question was in relation to yacht reviews showing bias, I was keen for you to name one review, in Multuhull World that showed bias.
Old 19-02-2007, 13:46   #85

Hi Factor, I don't have any real problems with the mag - it's just I've never seen anything bad written about any multi in the mag. Now it can't be that all multi's are created equal. For instance an article on a 50 foot perry cat does not talk about it's windward ability or safety factors, rather it discusses the luxury of the yacht in great detail. My main bone to pick is that the editorial content is not worth the $12 bucks NZ you pay for the mag. It used to retail for around $ 7.50 but $12 NZ is a bit steep considering some of the articles are previously published in NZ magizines.

Cheers
Old 19-02-2007, 15:28   #86

[quote=southernman] I like Mike prescott but some of his hull shapes are strange. .

Mark Pescott's hull shape
Latitude 8 Yachts - Yacht Charter, Yacht Building and Yacht Management in Phuket, Thailand, South East Asia. Boat charters & Boat Building & Boat Management while appearing strange to some have infact simmilaritys to Roger Simpson, and John Shuttleworth above water hull shapes.

the whole idea with the flair is to give a narrow waterline footprint = performance, and create massive reserve bouyancy = safety, and increase internal volume.

on my 50 footer we have 1.2 meter waterline beam, yet at shoulder height we have 2.4 meter of beam.

What happened to 'that company' that moved to China all in a huff about lack of support from Australian Govt etc? That design from memory was pretty terrible.

"That company " is those shocker pic's I put up.
Factor is correct i'd reckon that they are a Prout Knock-off, and infact are now being built in China.

Dave
Old 19-02-2007, 16:17   #87

build a cat

Why don't you guys consider building in Aluminium.
I am building a 39ft powered trimaran in Australia. All the aluminium comes cut to shape and bent ready to tack together. You then get a professional welder to complete the final welding. Cost USD $8,000.00 for ALL the aluminium. It will take about 4-6 weeks to complete the metal part.
Beau
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 16:45   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman
Hi Factor, I don't have any real problems with the mag - it's just I've never seen anything bad written about any multi in the mag. Now it can't be that all multi's are created equal. For instance an article on a 50 foot perry cat does not talk about it's windward ability or safety factors, rather it discusses the luxury of the yacht in great detail. My main bone to pick is that the editorial content is not worth the $12 bucks NZ you pay for the mag. It used to retail for around $ 7.50 but $12 NZ is a bit steep considering some of the articles are previously published in NZ magizines.

Cheers
Have you ever read a bad review of any sailboat, mono or multi? I certainly haven't. Does that mean they are all created equal?

To be fair, the article about the multihaven wasn't a review - there was no mention of a test sail, in fact it was fairly clear (to me at least) in the article that Jo Djubal hadn't seen the boat in the "flesh". It was more of an update about the progress of the boat in China, and the info all came from Multihaven so it was always going to be positive.

If you don't find the mag to be value the answer is simple enough.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 18:51   #89

hull flair

agree with you on hull flair and understand the need for it - it's just with hull flair on the outside rather than the inside the hulls tend to look a bit strange. they are also a pain to dock and fend properly.

On the boat reivew topic, there are many reviewers in many magazines who give proper performance figures on yachts tested such as VMG, windward pointing ability etc etc. This gives the reader a real idea of how the boats actually sail.

I still buy Multihull Mag but I just think they could do better. Maybe I'm a little picky and should shut up!

On ugly multi's how about the Holiday Pacific Seacraft ?
Old 19-02-2007, 20:13   #90

[quote=southernman]agree with you on hull flair and understand the need for it - it's just with hull flair on the outside rather than the inside the hulls tend to look a bit strange. they are also a pain to dock and fend properly.

Swing's and roundabout's, I have had no flair and a heap of flair, and i'll agree they can be a PITA docking, but the advantage outweighs the dissadvantage IMHO

On the boat reivew topic, there are many reviewers in many magazines who give proper performance figures on yachts tested such as VMG, windward pointing ability etc etc. This gives the reader a real idea of how the boats actually sail.

I still buy Multihull Mag but I just think they could do better. Maybe I'm a little picky and should shut up!

On ugly multi's how about the Holiday Pacific Seacraft ?

What a shocker, but I doubt any serious multi guy even count's that one or the Multihaven as a multihull

BoatCraft Pacific - Boat Plans and Kits

Dave

« proas? | Used Cat's »