Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2015, 23:46   #1

Broadbluen Rapier

Hi all
MultiHull World Boat Detaills
I would appreciate any feedback or comments on a Broadblue Rapier 400
We have been looking for a while for a 40ft ish cat. To use in the UK in early season, then sail down to the med for July and August cruising, before bringing it back to UK for the winter.
After a lot of researching, it seemed that a Catana 431 would fit the bill, and we are off to the med in a few weeks to view a few, including some in the NEO program. It seems to have enough performance for my needs, and enough comfort for my wife's.
Then, I resaw the Rapier above, substantially reduced and now in our price range...£250k.
So, does anyone have any good or bad comments about Broadblue, and the Rapier400 in particular.
Many thanks

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sirfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:54   #2
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer
Re: Broadbluen Rapier

Hi, Sirfer!

Have nothing against average quality of Polish built/UK marketed BB/R cats, although
I always ask myself if I will be "happy" when cooking on open air staying fully dressed if sailing during early spring season. It may be rather cold/windy there under the roof!

Need to check that on practice, but until I have no experience with fresh air cooking I would prefer to build and pay less for a 37-feeter made in better materials!
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:23   #3

I've sailed two of these including the one for sale - R5 is exceptional in that its ultra light and has a carbon mast and pre stretched dynema rigging so sails very very well. The day after the mast was stepped it won the Round the Island race! I was onboard in bad weather for the boat show where it was a demo boat and it was quite warm enough in cold and heavy rain but I can't comment on how it would be in dead of winter - but with the heater on it should be fine. They're fast and spacious - build quality is good and the original owner of this one is a perfectionist so its very well spec'd - all I can say really is that if I had the money this would be first on my list.
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 14:12   #4

Thanks Snowgoose and Steamer.
Thanks for both your comments...Snowgoose, you are my wife's new best friend! Steamer, what do you base your comments about build quality on? I ask as a first time to be boat owner, so any comments whether positive or negative increase my understanding and knowledge.
One point of concern is security. Without a door to lock are we inviting trouble?
Many thanks.

Old 08-09-2015, 15:12   #5

You can lock the doors from inside to both hulls and of course the canvas can be locked (padlock the zips) - in reality a thief could cut their way in easily but then a normal boat door would not stop anyone for long either - security at the marina you keep her at is the best deterrence.
I'm not sure where anyone would get ideas of poor build quality on these; some of the best work in the world now is done in Poland - Broadblue did do some boats in China for a while which may have been a problem (I don't know for sure) because they then brought it all to Poland a few years back. Certainly the finish on R5 looks fantastic and the original owner is very fussy and very experienced with boats so wouldn't accept anything second rate...
Old 08-09-2015, 21:20   #6

sirfer, add a custom strata glass inclosure and you have a large inclosed bridge deck. You will enjoy cruising inclosed when raining or cold. We have an open layout or closed, also added AC for hot marina visits. Would only have this type of layout, next boat starts with a G

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1441772099109.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	108679   Click image for larger version

Name:	1441772194182.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	108680  

Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:58   #7

Yes...we had thought of all those options...
We have a test sail on Saturday. Should be fun.
Thanks again.

Old 09-09-2015, 13:43   #8

Boat: broadblue 385

hi,
we have a Broadblue 385 (2008) made in Poland, good quality work...i dont know if they use the same boatyard for the Rapier but i think so (Szczecin)...
Helmut
onotoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:52   #9

Thanks Snowgoose
We are now proud new owners of R5. Just been enjoying the idyllic sailing conditions in the UK for the last 5 weeks! Roll on summer and the Med!

Old 07-12-2015, 14:31   #10

Congratulations - its a great boat and I am now officially envious. We'll be cruising round Sardinia and Corsica next summer so if we see you we'll come say hello
Old 10-10-2016, 18:01   #11

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40

Hi Sirfer - hows the Rapier going after a year ? Keen to understand yours views and sailing and cruising experiences
Cheers
hobsonlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:10   #12

Hi hobsonlea
Judging from the comments and admiring looks, from those with far more experience than I have, I always felt she was a far better boat than I was capable of understanding....even now, as I still regard myself as a novice.
We have now done nearly 4000 nm in her and I still get a thrill every time I go onboard.
On the passage down to Mallorca, despite a lack of wind for much of the passage, when the wind was there, she flew. We logged one 185 mile day....the night was spent with 3 reefs in the main and also in the jib..did 25 miles in two hours passing through the straights of gib, and topped out at 16.5 kn, later on. She was more than comfortable in 30 plus knots of true...we just had to slow her down. On our final run to Palma, we touched 8kn boat speed in 12kn true with the assym up, so pretty good light wind performance as well. Cruising round Mallorca and Ibiza was a lot of motoring, to be expected..but whenever we had the sails up, we left everyone else behind.
Returning to the UK, it was a similar story to the passage down...either too light a favourable wind, under 7-8kn true, or 20 to 30 kn on the nose. We did have one little blast in Biscay with the assym up, touching 16kn again, but then we ran into sub tropical storm Stephanie. 50kn winds and 7to 8 m seas. I ran with the wind and waves at around 150 degrees, under bare poles and she behaved impeccably! When the wind eased to under 40kn, we close hauled with three reefs in the main and jib, and the main eased out quite a bit,at about 30 degrees awa We were probably only making 3 kn, but the sea was really messy then from two different directions and that seemed to me the best way to make some progress with out putting too much stress on the rig etc. Again, I have to say, she coped remarkably well.
As for living on her, for a couple, she would be perfect. For most of the time, there were three of us, which was great, or 4 which was also very comfortable. But for a week there was 6 of us and that was quite cramped....it's amazing how quickly 240 litres of water goes, or how often the fridge is left open! For those situations I would add a small (portable ) generator and maybe a watermaker. She certainly doesn't have the space of the more charter friendly brands, but I wouldn't want to be in a force 9 in one of those!
On passage I aim for 4.5 to 5kn minimum boat speed, so need about 8kn tws for that. Then it is either motor sail or motor. She is quite happy on one engine at around 2500rpm. Gives about 5kn. Prob use about 2 1/2 l/hr. at a guestimate.
An easy boat to live on and to sail...even single handed. And a great first boat for us.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-10-2016, 13:20   #13

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40

Thx Sirfer - thats really helpful and covers a lot.
Cheers Pete
hobsonlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 14:06   #14

Boat: Balance 442

Sirfer, that was a very useful post about Rapier 400. I am really interested in this boat. I wonder though have you ever experienced bridgedeck slamming problems on this boat. Pictures that I saw seem to show rather small bridgedeck clearance...

I hope you still enjoy the boat.
promanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 10:14   #15

Hi promanus
Yes she slams, but all catamarans slam. In some conditions she doesn’t, and in some she does. I can’t compare her to other catamarans, as this is my first boat, but for me, the slamming, when it happens, is not a problem. I have sailed monohulls in rough weather and they are not exactly quiet either.
Yes, we still love her. We have just returned from the med again, and as my experience grows, so does my confidence and respect for her as a very sound sailing vessel grow. And, once again, the positive comments from other far more experienced sailors, both monohull and catamaran, than myself bear this out.
Going south, we had another 180 mile day leaving Biscay. Very comfortable in F7, with just a triple reefed main.
Then, approaching Mallorca, in flat seas, we recorded 11knots boat speed in 14kn wind on a beam reach.
So, yes, very capable and safe.
We are based in falmouth, uk. Happy to take you or anyone out in her.

Tags
Broadblue