Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 07:07   #16

Boat: Beneteau First 42
I find it astonishing that anyone would contract and advance payments on a boat, house, or any other major construction project, without requiring the builder to obtain guaranty of completion and guaranty of performance bonds in favor of the buyer issued by a highly rated surety company. For a good builder, the cost of such "Perfoemance Bonds" are little more than 1% of the contract cost. If the builder cannot obtain bonds satisfactory to the buyer, that is not a builder one wants to be giving money too in the first place. With them, if the builder fails the surety covers the cost of completing the construction/delivery or if that cannot be done, refunds the buyer's money and deals with the builder for recovery.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:11   #17

Our problem was with a medium sized builder that had been around for 50 years and is still in business. We held a fair chunk back but still it was a PITA. With todays economic climate I would be extremely hesitant to buy a build slot. Let the builders build to spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
DAMN Joli, I really hate to hear those types of stories even though they are not as rare as one might think. Was the new boat from a major manufacturer or a smaller builder?? Just curious to see the degree of risk depending on the company's profile. Thanks again for sharing that experience.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:33   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Our problem was with a medium sized builder that had been around for 50 years and is still in business. We held a fair chunk back but still it was a PITA. With todays economic climate I would be extremely hesitant to buy a build slot. Let the builders build to spec.
That's my feeling entirely. Get one from a successful dealer that has one in inventory. A good dealer can add on the little custom features that you'd like and do it cheaper than the manufacturer. I got one off the lot and the dealer did a lot of custom work including a different stemhead fitting with double rollers and swapped out the two burner stove for a three burner.
Old 07-10-2008, 14:16   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
I find it astonishing that anyone would contract and advance payments on a boat, house, or any other major construction project, without requiring the builder to obtain guaranty of completion and guaranty of performance bonds in favor of the buyer issued by a highly rated surety company. For a good builder, the cost of such "Perfoemance Bonds" are little more than 1% of the contract cost. If the builder cannot obtain bonds satisfactory to the buyer, that is not a builder one wants to be giving money too in the first place. With them, if the builder fails the surety covers the cost of completing the construction/delivery or if that cannot be done, refunds the buyer's money and deals with the builder for recovery.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
Having only "built" only one house in my life, I am now sure that a lawyer would be involved with me to have a contract that I could understand and would make sure that I did not "lose" on the construction and waiting. At least I hope for that.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:00   #20

BB have had to pay the sub contractor (TEC ) a payment in advance to complete the boat. The materials are on hand, I will just have to watch this week! Unfortuneately, the upholsterer has not been paid for the last 3 boats and is now reluctant to finish. The BMF are now involved and are trying to pressurise their members (all 3) to honour their contracts.
BB have sacked all their staff: they now consist of 1!!
bb beware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:45   #21

Oh dear, so it appears that the rumours I heard were correct, what a terrible shame for the boat industry and all concerned, I hope that all BB purchasers get their boats.
Who is going to be next?
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:48   #22

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Catana?
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:13   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
Catana?
Alan, I think you could have a point, Poncin who own Catana stopped manufacture about 6 months ago (I think) of their (was it Harmony or Symphony) monohull range due to huge losses and poor sales, but I think that the French government were giving them an extension of time to start paying off some of their creditors, but it has all gone very quiet.
Old 14-10-2008, 13:47   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
BroadBlue declared bankruptcy Friday, according to Tony Smith.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 15:35   #25
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 25ft Merlin catamaran, 34ft Romany catamaran
That is because I told him, based on what I read here, so it isn't any extra proof I'm afraid

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www'sailingcatamarans.com
Woods Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 03:11   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Designs View Post
That is because I told him, based on what I read here, so it isn't any extra proof I'm afraid
Richard Woods
Talk about a circular discussion - perhaps we're creating our very own self-fulfilling prophesy.

A search of the local (Ipswich, Suffolk) news doesn't return any Broadblue results.

Does anyone know if Broadblue Catamarans Limited were actually at the recent Southampton International Boat Show (12th to 21st September 12 - 21, 2008)?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 03:42   #27

Yes - Its generally called gossip but of course in legal circles its called libel or slander and has big fees and costs associated, especially for the originators. Could solve BBs problems if they have any. Otherwise it could be just a windfall for them!
JustStartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 03:48   #28

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Does anyone know if Broadblue Catamarans Limited were actually at the recent Southampton International Boat Show (12th to 21st September 12 - 21, 2008)?

See post #1 - seems they were.
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 04:18   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustStartin View Post
Yes - Its generally called gossip but of course in legal circles its called libel or slander and has big fees and costs associated, especially for the originators. Could solve BBs problems if they have any. Otherwise it could be just a windfall for them!
See post #1 and the title, you will see that it is worded as a question and not as a statement, we are not that stupid in the UK.
I believe Broadblue is owned by a very well known and proffessional Furniture Manufacturing company Boating Business: Broadblue appoints Saltwater
in Broadblue Ltd, Lowestoft, Suffolk, NR32 - Contact Details | iSuffolk
and Broadblue Catamarans: Builder of of the Bradblue range of catamarans

So maybe the rumours are not true, but who is Tony Smith

Yes they were deifinitely at Southampton with the 385 Mk2.
I have just phoned BB and their Sales Director, Rupert Knox-Jonson is no longer there, but if I was interested in a BB I was to speak with their UK agents, so I assume that they are not Bankrupt as stated earlier on this thread.
Old 15-10-2008, 04:47   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
See post #1 and the title, you will see that it is worded as a question and not as a statement, we are not that stupid in the UK.
No we in the UK are not that stupid as you say However there seem to be many posters who are.
JustStartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Broadblue