Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 00:42   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
Broadblue 345

hi,

we are seriously looking for a small cat as our first boat and we came across this one V345 - Broadblue Catamarans USA

The reason why we are thinking of this cat are following:
- I'm 6'4" high so headroom is an issue
- we'd like to do mostly coastal cruising but with the possibility to do blue water as well
- the cockpit is laid out for single handling
- possibility of diesel-electric drives
- possibility of cruising the european canals

so my question is, has somebody real world experience with this catamaran??
i read some reviews and they seem to be quite positive. Does it make a safe ocean crossing vessel? does the price of ~200000 Euros fully equipped and vat paid make sense?

thanks for your help
Olli
__________________

__________________
H.S.Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 00:55   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
hummingway's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gabriola Island & Victoria, British Columbia
Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Posts: 6,933
Images: 5
Re: Broadblue 345

Looks like a lovely boat but small for crossing oceans I would think (I'm not a cat owner). Definitely light on fuel capacity.
__________________

__________________
“We are the universe contemplating itself” - Carl Sagan

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:33   #3
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,828
Images: 4
Re: Broadblue 345

Seems ;like a nice boat and adecent price, seems like a large amount of sail area for a 32' cat and narrower beam. Could be a fun ride.
__________________
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:00   #4
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Broadblue 345

I may be wrong but it looks like Broadblue bought the molds for the 10m Dazcat.
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:14   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
Re: Broadblue 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I may be wrong but it looks like Broadblue bought the molds for the 10m Dazcat.
Yes, it is a Dazcat design formerly sold as the Voyager 10 Welcome to Voyager Catamarans
__________________
H.S.Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:18   #6
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Broadblue 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.S.Hemingway View Post
Yes, it is a Dazcat design formerly sold as the Voyager 10 Welcome to Voyager Catamarans
The Voyager 10 is not similar at all to any of the other Dazcat designs.
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:26   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
Re: Broadblue 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The Voyager 10 is not similar at all to any of the other Dazcat designs.
hei smj, yes indeed it is far off any other Dazcat design but look at this link Voyager build2

looks similar
__________________
H.S.Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:31   #8
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Broadblue 345

Looks like a really nice boat. The only thing I would be leary of is the narrow beam and high center of gravity. Our first cat a Catfisher 32 was deigned this way and in any beam sea her motion was so sharp she would throw things of the counter. Not very cat like at all!
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:38   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
Re: Broadblue 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Looks like a really nice boat. The only thing I would be leary of is the narrow beam and high center of gravity. Our first cat a Catfisher 32 was deigned this way and in any beam sea her motion was so sharp she would throw things of the counter. Not very cat like at all!

thanks, thats the kind of information I am looking for!
well i guess we will not take the good porcelain plates then with us

did you take your Catfisher 32 for blue water cruising?

cheers
__________________
H.S.Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:41   #10
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Broadblue 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.S.Hemingway View Post
thanks, thats the kind of information I am looking for!
well i guess we will not take the good porcelain plates then with us

did you take your Catfisher 32 for blue water cruising?

cheers
No mainly the Florida Keys and Bahamas.
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:53   #11
Registered User
 
Sand crab's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Posts: 3,157
Re: Broadblue 345

Just to change the subject.....There have been threads before about cats for Big Boys and the 2 that stood out were the Maine Cat 41 and the older PDQ line. Both of these builders make a couple of different boats so you might want to take a look. You could get one used for your price range. BOB
__________________
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:04   #12
Registered User
 
muskoka's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sai Kung, Hong Kong
Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Posts: 775
Re: Broadblue 345

Delete: Sorry, I thought you'd asked about the BB 435.....

I'd first ask what kind of passages you're contemplating. Crossing the Atlantic / Pacific is different than bobbing around the Med or Caribbean.

Of the 34 footers, I think the Gemini is worth a look.

Personally, I think any 34 boat which offers headroom of 6'-6" is probably designed around the wrong criterion (I'm 6'-2"). Not that I like banging my head, but designing for that much headroom in that length of boat creates some pretty weird compromises.
__________________
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:49   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
Re: Broadblue 345

Quote:
Just to change the subject.....There have been threads before about cats for Big Boys and the 2 that stood out were the Maine Cat 41 and the older PDQ line. Both of these builders make a couple of different boats so you might want to take a look. You could get one used for your price range. BOB
hei Bob, yes, was looking at this ones, nice designs, but the Admiral doesn't like them
and there is no way i get my toy if she doesn't like it...

so the only design so far in this range is the Broadblue 345...


Quote:
Personally, I think any 34 boat which offers headroom of 6'-6" is probably designed around the wrong criterion (I'm 6'-2"). Not that I like banging my head, but designing for that much headroom in that length of boat creates some pretty weird compromises.
muskoka, i do agree that it is a compromise and that 2m headroom in 32' is almost insane, but i banged my head so badly when i was younger, that i will for sure go for a boat where i do not have to duck all the time. what i really need is to be able to cook upright and to have a shower from above, not like in some designs chest downwards

i am aware of the design limits, but this is a fun sports and if i cannot have fun then it isn't fun.
therefore i need to know if this boat is safe to take it across the Atlantic and Pacific every now and then to enjoy the med, caribbean and polynesia...

if it would not be safe enough to do so we would need to look further and may safe for a bigger boat. but that is the point, i don't want to be here in 5 years still looking for a suitable boat. hmmmm

but thanks a lot for your advises, very much appreciate them
cheers
__________________
H.S.Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:55   #14
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,828
Images: 4
Just curious have you and the admiral spent much time offshore in a cat or in particularly nasty weather w high seas?
I ask as the cat handles much differently, people not prone to seasickness on monos regular get sick on cats in rohgh weather due to thevdifferent,motions.
__________________
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:04   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
Re: Broadblue 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Just curious have you and the admiral spent much time offshore in a cat or in particularly nasty weather w high seas?
I ask as the cat handles much differently, people not prone to seasickness on monos regular get sick on cats in rohgh weather due to thevdifferent,motions.
no, we haven't spend much time offshore yet, will soon change...
we have to see how we would feel like on this design, so far i haven't had much problems with seasickness, my Admiral usually get motion sickness if i drive a bit faster on a curvy hilly course , which is a lot of fun for me...

and then my wife is a medical doctor and in case really necessary she knows which pills to take, but this is a last option. she does like rollercoasters, so i think it would suit her the faster motion of such a small cat

we will see
__________________

__________________
H.S.Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Broadblue

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.