Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 17:03   #1

Brisbane to Mackay

Any suggestions as to where to get information from about sailors experiences sailing from Brisbane to Mackay as this will be our first time. For instance; good anchorages, interesting places to visit and places to stay away from! We have a 38' catamaran - we have Beacon to Beacon, Cruising the Coral Coast, 100 Magic Miles but would love to hear about sailors own experiences.
jfjharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 17:09   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Brisbane to Mackay

Great Sandy straights, pancake Creek, the narrows, creeks around the Fitzroy River delta in Keppel Bay, great Keppel Island, Port Clinton, pearl Bay, Island head Creek, Percy islands and then take your pick of islands around Mackay. Keppel Bay Marina is also a nice spot to stop for a day or two.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 17:14   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Delivery or cruise?
How much time do you have?
What sort of crew - experience?

Overnights Ok or do you just want to do day sails?

When?

Do you have a set of the Qld Govt/GBRMPA Zoning Maps? (see GBRMPA - Maps) You can ick up a copy from most Chart shops.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 19:59   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

Brisbane to Mackay gives one the greatest choice of anchorages as those protected from south easterlies predominate. You can wander your way north pretty casually using Lucas whereas coming south requires a little more planning. I'd go Brisbane to Airlie Beach rather than Mackay, there are some pretty spectacular anchorages in the Whitsundays.

If you are going both ways the narrows and Gladstone are better saved for coming south against prevailing south easterlies.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 20:44   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^

I agree, Alan's book has soundings in it that he personally took. His approach is conservative, just right for someone starting out. Since the OP has a catamaran, you can pretty much ignore Alan's comments about rolly anchorages.

In season, the sandflies are always most numerous close to shore. They cannot bite you through gauze clothing, but the mozzies can, so defense against the two are different.

Ann
Old 06-03-2019, 20:57   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Just keep Australia on the Left
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 22:03   #7

Another excellent book for anchorages between Bundaberg and Mackay is Noel Patrick's Cruising the Curtis Coast.

If you don't mind drying out in beautiful white sand, Wathumba and Coongul creeks on Fraser island are pretty special.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 22:14   #8

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjharry View Post
Any suggestions as to where to get information from about sailors experiences sailing from Brisbane to Mackay as this will be our first time. For instance; good anchorages, interesting places to visit and places to stay away from!
Sailing blogs and other on-line reports of anchorages etc on the QLD E coast are few and vary in quality (depths can be in feet or metres; writers are everyone from the skippers of tinnies, trailer sailers, cruising monohulls, and cats, so their perspectives vary; and the criteria for what constitutes a 'good' anchorage seems to vary considerably even within the one genre of boat).

I've always learned the most from meeting other cruisers at anchor. That's where you'll find some of the handful of cruisers who have spent years sailing N and S along the coast. And their knowledge is golden.

When visiting another cruiser, always take a notebook or your tablet loaded with OpenCPN and charts so you can get the gems marked.

Otherwise it's up to you and your favourite search engine.

Although it's dated (and from a monohull perspective), you might enjoy: Cruising Australia

Zulu Waterways marks almost every anchorage/boat ramp/marina around Australia: https://zuluwaterways.com/map/-27.21....3713722229004 I've pointed it to Moreton Bay so you can see for yourself how it compares to your own experiences.

EDIT: my link to Moreton Bay in zuluwaterways.com seems not to work. Just type in zuluwaterways.com and navigate to Moreton Bay. At top left, pull down the CHARTS menu and select 'Navionics'. Then see what's marked and what is not. And then work your way up the coast to Mackay.
Old 06-03-2019, 22:21   #9

Boat: currently boatless

Starting to get envious, we are not cruising north this year as our poor old house needs some serious TLC. As you are not doing the NSW coast you passage planning should be a lot easier with only a couple of bars to cross.
You have started well by posting here, there is a wealth of information here regarding your chosen destination.
A few publications have been mentioned already. I would also add "Robbs Passage Planner" and Noel Patricks "The Curtis Coast". We have found Robbs passage planner an invaluable tool on the boat. It has diagrams advising of distance in NM to destinations along the east coast of Australia from Tasiamina to Lizard Island. It covers things such as releveant Marine Rescue or Coast Guard along the coast, light sectors, marinas, fuel locations, along with a wealth of other information. I found the Curtis Coast a very detailed book covering anchorages from Bundaberg to Mackay. Personally I rate this book above Lucas's in many respects. Used in conjunction with each other they are required reading on cruising boats.
If I may, a couple of friendly suggestions. If you plan on going into a marina in Mooloolaba ensure you enter at the top the tide. The tidal flow through the marinas can be savage and I have witnessed boats not take this into account when coming into the fairways and ended up hard against other boats. Not pretty. The other thing I would suggest is gain as much information when crossing the Wide Bay Bar. Yes it has a reputation but with careful planning can be crossed very safely.
You will meet a heap of people doing exactly what you plan and often a lot of newbies tag along behind the more experienced to err on the side of caution. Watch the weather reports and take heed. Your cruising not racing, enjoy and take in the sites, dont hurry and DO NOT cruise to a timetable. It will end in tears.
Over all enjoy. You are only doing what thousands have done before. And as Factor said Keep Australia on the left on the way up and you cant go to far wrong.

Greg H
Lagoon 440.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 23:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Delivery or cruise?

When?

Do you have a set of the Qld Govt/GBRMPA Zoning Maps? (see GBRMPA - Maps) You can ick up a copy from most Chart shops.
Delivery or cruise?
When?

Cruising
5 months to get to Mackay
Both had no experience as far as a big boat goes but have 40 years of trailer sailing and done Sandy Straits, Whitsundays many times, Hinchinbrook and the outer reefs from Low Isles. All trips from the closest land.
Prefer day sails but realise we may have to do at least one overnight.
We have got some from the areas we have visited but will have to get the latest ones.
Old 06-03-2019, 23:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Just keep Australia on the Left
Which left is that?
Old 06-03-2019, 23:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Another excellent book for anchorages between Bundaberg and Mackay is Noel Patrick's Cruising the Curtis Coast.

If you don't mind drying out in beautiful white sand, Wathumba and Coongul creeks on Fraser island are pretty special.
We have been in Wathumba with the Trailer Sailer but now with a draft of 1.2m instead of 0.3 I would have thought we may not have enough water. But we definitely like drying out so we might pinch your spot in Hill Inlet....
Old 06-03-2019, 23:06   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The west.

Not the pol parties.

Ann
Old 06-03-2019, 23:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Starting to get envious, we are not cruising north this year as our poor old house needs some serious TLC. As you are not doing the NSW coast you passage planning should be a lot easier with only a couple of bars to cross.
You have started well by posting here, there is a wealth of information here regarding your chosen destination.
A few publications have been mentioned already. I would also add "Robbs Passage Planner" and Noel Patricks "The Curtis Coast". We have found Robbs passage planner an invaluable tool on the boat. It has diagrams advising of distance in NM to destinations along the east coast of Australia from Tasiamina to Lizard Island. It covers things such as releveant Marine Rescue or Coast Guard along the coast, light sectors, marinas, fuel locations, along with a wealth of other information. I found the Curtis Coast a very detailed book covering anchorages from Bundaberg to Mackay. Personally I rate this book above Lucas's in many respects. Used in conjunction with each other they are required reading on cruising boats.
If I may, a couple of friendly suggestions. If you plan on going into a marina in Mooloolaba ensure you enter at the top the tide. The tidal flow through the marinas can be savage and I have witnessed boats not take this into account when coming into the fairways and ended up hard against other boats. Not pretty. The other thing I would suggest is gain as much information when crossing the Wide Bay Bar. Yes it has a reputation but with careful planning can be crossed very safely.
You will meet a heap of people doing exactly what you plan and often a lot of newbies tag along behind the more experienced to err on the side of caution. Watch the weather reports and take heed. Your cruising not racing, enjoy and take in the sites, dont hurry and DO NOT cruise to a timetable. It will end in tears.
Over all enjoy. You are only doing what thousands have done before. And as Factor said Keep Australia on the left on the way up and you cant go to far wrong.

Greg H
Lagoon 440.
Many thanks for all your information its certainly appreciated.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:11   #15

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

My blogs of our trips in 2015 and 2017 are linked through this page, http://http://www.michaelmcfadyenscu...hp?page_id=908.
clownfishsydney is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisbane