Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2014, 20:25   #1

Boat: 36 cross tri
Brilliant ideas... A question regarding.

Forgive me if this is already a thread somewhere, but what do you have or have seen on other boats that have struck you as a great idea? some feature or equipment that you really wish you had or something that is done really well ie. swim platform, ice maker, nav area, underwater lights, dive locker, workshop etc...... I realize this is a broad subject but its not as if im asking how big of a cat i should build...right?

maybe some pics?
Nick Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 23:21   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Brilliant ideas... A question regarding.

Saw a sailboat with a built-in draft beer system once. KEg was below in a refrigerator and the tap was up in the cockpit right next to the chartplotter.

Great idea and could be done without too much trouble.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 23:46   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Saw a sailboat with a built-in draft beer system once. KEg was below in a refrigerator and the tap was up in the cockpit right next to the chartplotter.

Great idea and could be done without too much trouble.
IIRC Chichester had just such a system in Gypsy Moth IV, differing only in that he had two kegs... but then it was a long voyage! His liquor provisioning list was awesome. One wonders how he made it!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-05-2014, 23:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
IIRC Chichester had just such a system in Gypsy Moth IV, differing only in that he had two kegs... but then it was a long voyage! His liquor provisioning list was awesome. One wonders how he made it!

Cheers,

Jim
These days we have water makers ! And we call that progress ! Phooey !
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 23:56   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Cheers,

Jim
Jim,

Life aboard has changed over the years. I remember reading about one of the yachts participating in one of the first Whitbread round the world race.

I those days, the participants were gentlemen sailors, meaning they were rich and actually sailed the boat themselves.

Anyway, when it came to provisioning, the owner made a drastic decision.

He noted that 1 bottle of wine per day per crew member was enough. LOL

Of course, if I remember correctly, his was a 70 some odd footer, so he did have room for a considerable wine cellar.

My wife and I keep our alcohol intake while on passage to 1 glass of wine with dinner (assuming the weather is calm and so is the sea and nothing untoward is in the offing - then it no alcohol) LOL

Different times back then

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 04:11   #6

I do remember when i was pup a family friend had a wine cellar in his keel, but a kegerator... well, that is brilliant
Old 20-05-2014, 04:34   #7

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Yacht slides are just brilliant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yacht slide.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	81626  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 12:54   #8

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Well.. I'm sure this isn't remarkable, or anything... but, I have seen boats where there has been an actual fish cleaning station across the back... with a nice counter.. with a sink... a hose... and a hole to flush the waste down.. without having to cary stuff into the cockpit area...

One thing I would LOVE to see go on a boat, is an actual REAL and SAFE "poop deck" for the dogs to use while under way...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 13:11   #9

I did the dance of joy the first time I saw a removable dust pan built into a bilgepan. Perhaps I'm easily impressed.

That yacht slide looks like a blast.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 13:21   #10
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Scarlet, you can have a 'poop deck' for your dogs. Get a piece of astro-turf, put grommets in the corners so that you can secure it on deck and drag it behind the boat to wash it while underway. Always put it down in the same location so that the dogs can be readily trained to use it.

A catamaran will give you more places on deck that can be utilized and that are somewhat out of the way. What is more, the lack of heeling on a catamaran will make it easier for the pooches. Of course accidents will happen, but can be dealt with by using your deck wash.

Really, I suspect the major problem cruising internationally wtih dogs will not be training them (if they are already trained not to go in the house), it will be the quarantine regulations in many destinations.

A fish cleaning station? It is easy enough to puchase (or make) a fish-cleaning board with a lip with removable brackets that can be attached to your stern rail. If you have an outdoor shower (and most do aft of the cockpit), you can rinse off easily after you are done. If not, there is nothing wrong with a bucket or two of salt water!

Features I quite like? A deck shower, an interior shower compartment separate from the head compartment (avoids moisture build-up in the head), a propane on-demand water heater for the shower and galley (gives you virtually unlimited hot water without the need to start the diesels or be plugged into a dock), a proper wet locker near the companionway (yes, you can hang your weather gear">foul weather gear in one of the head compartments if you don't use it, but what a waste of space); a dedicated work bench and area for tool/spares storage.

None of these are 'must-haves', but all of them are nice features in my opinion.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 21:17   #11

all of these are great...the slide looks expensive... thats a lot of rum punches...

Id add some cargo netting to the stanchions in the pup poop area and viola! no need for pob drills

I was thinking a fish cleaning station could be attached much like a bbq and actually double as a food prep area next to said bbq.

as for a wet locker, I was already thinking of a separate, extra large shower with a fold down bench on one side and an auxiliary shower curtain which could be pulled out when both clothes are drying and a shower is needed.

the insta hot propane heater was a given in my mind, as is an outdoor shower.... I've been wondering about going full electric... but I dont think I want to put everything on one system
Old 21-05-2014, 01:57   #12

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Stephens View Post
Id add some cargo netting to the stanchions in the pup poop area and viola! no need for pob drills
OMG!!!! This is the funniest thing!!! PUP OVERBOARD DRILLS!!!! but soooo true.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote