Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-08-2008, 12:41   #46
cruiser

Passenger carrying catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewke07 View Post
two things......

1. In our years of cruising our AIKANE56 we ran next to Lepoards on a number of occasions. Yes, the light weight and waterline length of our cat allowed us to reach the destinations first but the Lepoards always arrived. They had just as much fun when they got there, and at least as many creature comforts as we did in a package 9' shorter. I many times wondered if it would have been a better idea to have gotten the smaller boat.

2. as to planing cats, I had the pleasure to run a couple of 55' daycharter cats in Hawaii that were equipped with rotating wing masts as well as twin 350hp Cummins diesels. Wide open under power with no passengers aboard theswe boats would motor at 25knots. When they did the bows would rise, but it did not seem that they were fully planing. Under sail they still reached the high teens on occasion even dragging four blade props.
As far as boat speed goes, it is a big topic in multihull discussions, but I don't consider it to be a big deal for a cruising boat, either. You pays your money and takes your choice, I always say.

Were those fixed props?

I would think that they would be down by the stern with no passengers, because the designer would probably have assumed that passengers would be more or less evenly distributed fore and aft on the boat, and the biggest fixed weights would be aft (350 hp motors and their apparatus.) In that trim, I would think that high boat speed might well lead to lifting the bows further due to dynamic forces, but I doubt if the lift would have much effect on boat speed.

I went on the Goldcoast 55 catamaran run by Capt. Andy's on Kauai, but they didn't sail, though they put the sails up for a couple of minutes just to show the boat under sail. No great wonder, given that they had a schedule to keep on a long run (60 miles, maybe, in half a day,) and were operating on the lee side of the island.

Old 27-08-2008, 13:41   #47

they were fixed props, and freewheeling under sail

Old 27-08-2008, 14:18   #48
cruiser

Sailing fast while dragging anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewke07 View Post
they were fixed props, and freewheeling under sail
If they would sail at those speeds dragging those props, that's pretty impressive. They must not have hydraulic transmissions, then, or they would wreck them freewheeling the props. I'm planning on using feathering 3 blade props-Luke or Maxiprops, probably. I need 23" props, and not all brands of feathering props come that big.
Old 27-08-2008, 16:43   #49

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
One thing to keep in mind with all these manufacturer's displacement numbers is that the manufacturers all lie to some extent. Nobody is out there checking the as built lightship weights (unless I'm mistaken about CE certification; I could be!)

Tags
leopard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: