Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 15:34   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380- Southern breeze
Bottom job cost

I'm a relative new owner of a Lagoon 380 catamaran and just received a quote for a bottom job and nearly died. Can anyone with a cat of similiar size give me an idea of how much paint it will take for 2 coats on my 38 ft boat.

Thanks,
Chic Meyer
S/V Southern Breeze
chic72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 16:12   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Well, what was the quote? I paid somewhere in the vicinity of $2000 (plus/minus about $$200, can't remember exactly and i had some other work done.)for a haulout and one coat of bottom paint. It was high end bottom paint Micron66 but about what I expected. I think it ended up being about 2.5 gallons so we just used up the extra half gallon on leading edges etc. The yard did the painting and prepping, about 48 hours from haul to splash.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 17:27   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
What were you estimating would be a reasonable price? Bottom paint is not cheap and neither is yard labor. You can save some money if you do the masking and rolling yourself. If you want a smooth coating, you can have it sprayed on, but the yard will never let you spray it yourself.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 17:36   #4

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Chic72,
I had a bottom job done at Oasis Marine in St. Augustine, FL. Check their web site. Email them if you have any questions. I think they are great folks. The money is not as much an issue as courtesy and having the job done right and on time. I left my boat at their dock per their request, they pulled the s/v and did the job, and put it back in the water. I was and am very pleased. I will return to their yard.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 18:53   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380- Southern breeze
What surprised me the most was the estimate for 7 gal. of paint, but if one coat took 2.5 gal. maybe that's not all that unreasonable. I assumed that with the cost of haul out, it would be smart to put 2 coats on while I was at it. Any additional advice is very much appreciated.
Chic72
S/V Southern Breeze
chic72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 18:59   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Seven gallons for one coat is excessive.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 19:59   #7

Boat: Sunkyong Marine Ltd. 37' Sedan Trawler - Savannah
I'd find a DIY yard if I was you. The yard in Port Canaveral, FL will give you free haul and splash as well as about a week on stands if you buy paint from them. That also gets you one moving of the stands to get the covered spots. I don't exactly know their max width that they could haul but I'm sure there are plenty of other yards around with similar deals.
GDFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 15:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Seven gallons for one coat is excessive.
I think he meant 7 gallons for 2 coats, which is still excessive. 7 gallons would 2 coat a 50 footer easily. I don't think one could possibly physically apply 7 gallons in a single coat on sub 40 footer. Heck, I think one would have to be pretty creative to figure out a way to get 7 gallons applied in 2 coats. Even @ 5 gallons, he's likely to have some left over after the second coat.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 15:42   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42
A Lagoon 380 has two hulls with relatively wide sections and long water lines. In the southeast (Florida) one would necessarily do two coats of bottom paint with a third along the water line(s) and on the leading edges of the keel(s) and rudder(s). Accordingly, 7 gallons of bottom paint might not be all that unreasonable. Of course, one could take some measurements and determine the actual square footages of the hulls as well but with necessary losses, the number's likely to come out the same or very close.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 17:11   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Voyage 500, Silent Faith
Did my 50' with 5 gallons,,,applied 2 coats and added hot pepper which thickened up the paint a bit. Two years now and still in good shape. $1000 for the paint and $1500 for all the work.
craig boorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 07:17   #11

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDFL View Post
I'd find a DIY yard if I was you. The yard in Port Canaveral, FL will give you free haul and splash as well as about a week on stands if you buy paint from them. That also gets you one moving of the stands to get the covered spots. I don't exactly know their max width that they could haul but I'm sure there are plenty of other yards around with similar deals.
Is that Scorpions Marina... and approximately how much was the paint per gallon
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 07:25   #12

Boat: Sunkyong Marine Ltd. 37' Sedan Trawler - Savannah
It's actually Cape Marina. Cape Marina - Port Canaveral, FL The website doesn't mention DIY, but they definitely do it. You'll have to call to check on their max beam for haulout. I didn't personally get my boat hauled there, but several former dock neighbors did. I moved away to my current location before I was due. I can't recall the exact rates, but from what I remember the paint is not the cheapest, but not quite WM prices. I think the free haulout and storage more than makes up for it unless you need a ton of paint. Everyone I know that has had work done there said it was a pleasant experience. Good luck.
GDFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 07:35   #13

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
My last bottom job was 2 years ago and was $1850 on my 44 foot Endeavourcat. Two coats and about 4 gallons with Trinidad Pro. I had qoutes of up to a little over $3000 from other yards as I recall.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 08:07   #14

Boat: Lagoon 37
We did ours ourselves in Ft. Pierce at Riverside Marina. It took three gallons for two coats of Seahawk. Our total cost was 1500. for total billing.Really nice folks at the yard and BTW we are a Lagoon 37
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 09:29   #15

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
My Lavezzi 40 has a total wetted surface of 38sm (400sf) and your boat should be similar. The surface area isn't that large so labour and materials should be quoted on that basis. What I find costs more is the hauling out and hardstanding as they charge you for 2 'parking spots' - which is fair enough.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote