Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-05-2011, 23:43   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Boom Furl vs In-Mast Furl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Dockhead... If I sailed a mono I would have in mast furling. Absolutely no question about it.

However, the OP has a multihull, this thread is in the multihull forum. I think everyone who has posted in favour of in-mast in this thread sails a mono. You won't find many multihull sailors in favour of in-mast for the reasons I stated in my previous post.

Nice boat by the way... a Moody 54 was high on my wanted list before I converted to cats.
I wasn't trying to persuade the OP and I entirely agree with you about cats and in-mast furling. I am agnostic about in-mast furling and might very well have a fully battened main if I were ordering a new boat and had a choice.

Indeed I think we rarely see cats with in-mast furling for the very reasons you mention.

Old 18-05-2011, 08:03   #32

Re: Boom Furl vs In Mast Furl

The benefits of in boom over in mast furling become abundantly and overwhelmingly clear with the first blow over 40 Knots.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 17:54   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
In-boom furling has a lot of admirers, almost none of whom have actually used it.

For people's real experiences with in-boom furling, check out the archives.
We HAVE a Profurl in-boom furler. Like it, but don't love it. It would not be my choice if starting over - but, IMHO, way better than in-mast.

And, yes, it's on a mono.
Old 19-05-2011, 23:02   #34

Boat: Lagoon 440

We had a Reef Rite furling boom and "thought" we liked it mostly, though we did suffer a couple of jams mainly due to bunching of the luff thru not having the correct angle on the boom. Lost the entire rig (carbon mast!!) and included a regular boom with Harken batt cars on the mast and find this a much better system and a lot cheaper. The main comes down in a heartbeat, reefing is simple and no "what if I break the furling line" thoughts. Furling booms are nice as long as everything goes well. And so we hope....................
Cheers
Paul
Old 19-05-2011, 23:05   #35

Boat: Lagoon 440

Sorry, to clarify: "and included a regular boom and Harken batt cars with the new mast and find this..........."
Old 23-09-2015, 06:25   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Watched a guy on a gazillion-dollar, high tech racy 45 footer spend all day trying to free his jammed up in-mast sail last summer. He finally had to call the manufacturer to come out. I'm sure these things are handy but the more complicated it gets, the more likely it is to break. If he was out in the middle of the ocean he'd have been F#%*ed.

I have one of those roller booms with a crank at the gooseneck that were popular in the 60s. Have never used it because I've read everywhere they don't really work that well and distort the sail. It's really just as easy to reef by flaking the sail down. Anyone out there who uses one of these successfully?
Wonderful system to furl and stow the main clean in front of the yacht club bar... but at sea. Reduce surface the old fashion way. All in all, I loved it.
Old 23-09-2015, 10:57   #37
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post

I have one of those roller booms with a crank at the gooseneck that were popular in the 60s. Have never used it because I've read everywhere they don't really work that well and distort the sail. It's really just as easy to reef by flaking the sail down. Anyone out there who uses one of these successfully?
We've built a number of mains for clients with those old school roller booms. We strongly encourage them to switch to traditional slab reefing but every so often we have someone who wants to retain the roller reefing. It's pretty lousy for sail shape but will reduce area.
Old 23-09-2015, 11:03   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I had boom furling on the Eventide 24. Gentle up, gentle down. Mainly coastal work, not a problem and worked a treat.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 11:09   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Gosh, were did this thread come from, deep in the dungeons I suspect. Hope the OP isn't still pondering on the advice we gave him.

Pete
Old 17-06-2017, 00:17   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Gosh, were did this thread come from, deep in the dungeons I suspect. Hope the OP isn't still pondering on the advice we gave him.

Pete
And now, another two years later, with certain advancements on both fronts, does anyone have something to share about how well or not it worked out with the furling system you used?
Old 19-06-2017, 12:09   #41

Thumbs up Re: Boom Furl vs In Mast Furl

Time to chime in.
25 years ago i purchased a monohull with a furling main in the mast and it worked with minimal issues. I then upgraded to a much larger mono (Island Packet) that had a traditional main and a very problematic boom furling system. It never worked well from the beginning but i was able to overcome reefing issues but it was never a good fix. in 2012 it was time for a new main and i started looking into boom furlers and actualy sailed several boats with diferent makes. I settled on a Liesure Furl by Forespar amnd would have to say it was the single best improvement i've every done to a boat.
not cheap but what a difdrrence it made when wanting to reef! Simple, Fast, and secure. i never once had a problem and could do it blind folder with one hand,
The IP was sold and i'm now sailing a cat that is have a boom furler installed this summer.
i'm sold!
Paul
Old 19-06-2017, 12:43   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillippeterson View Post
And now, another two years later, with certain advancements on both fronts, does anyone have something to share about how well or not it worked out with the furling system you used?
Just replaced the in mast main sail this winter. Looking at the original receipt it was 16 years old. Material was in really good condition, just the panels stretched. This is down to being neatly rolled up inside the mast for most of the time.

Would I change the in mast reefing, nope and if we ever change the yacht then I will be looking for in mast again.

Pete
Old 19-06-2017, 15:45   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHHong Kong View Post
We had a Reef Rite furling boom and "thought" we liked it mostly, though we did suffer a couple of jams mainly due to bunching of the luff thru not having the correct angle on the boom. Lost the entire rig (carbon mast!!) and included a regular boom with Harken batt cars on the mast and find this a much better system and a lot cheaper. The main comes down in a heartbeat, reefing is simple and no "what if I break the furling line" thoughts. Furling booms are nice as long as everything goes well. And so we hope....................
Cheers
Paul
Curious what you mean by "reefing is simple." Simple for single handed? For a cruising couple? For an experienced crew? One of the benefits of in-boom furling for shorthanded sailing is NOT having to run up to the mast to set up the second or third reef. I feel like it would be helpful to OP to explain your circumstances before making a recommendation. For a crew, simplicity is probably better, but for shorthanded, there is great value in being able to reef infinitely while never leaving the helm... especially if you have less experienced sailors alone on a night watch.

For shorthanded sailing, in-boom furling is incredibly safe and convenient if you don't mind spending the money. The battens and weight down low make it superior to in-mast. And for vain idiots like me, I also love the decluttered look of no lazy-jacks. But seriously, I've seen plenty of battens snagged on lazy jacks while raising the main causing mayhem and I'm adding that as one less thing that can go wrong in the pro in-boom furling category.
Old 19-06-2017, 15:49   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Gravity still works - In Mast means no battens - little or no roach, and opportunity for failure. In boom means a few less issues but still opportunity for failure
Old 19-06-2017, 16:34   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
We HAVE a Profurl in-boom furler. Like it, but don't love it. It would not be my choice if starting over - but, IMHO, way better than in-mast.

And, yes, it's on a mono.
What were your issues with the Profurl? The reviews seem pretty good.

Tags
mast

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: