Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 13:23   #1

Boat: Tiki 31 catamaran
Boatbuilding a multihull, budgets, paradigms, utter falsehood

There's the one in four rule:

The first quarter,(it's not about moons), you calculate the material and shed rental costs, over four years.

The second quarter, you realise the costs have doubled , per year, (you need more than that space anyway) but as a proportion of overall "value", you think, I can build faster now I have more knowledge, and negate the inflation.

The third quarter. Now I have more knowledge (a little of - being a prickly question), I build slower, because I know a bit about about idiotic mistakes and design. I am older also and prefer a bottle of decent Rioja and a warm lady to a dusty night in a freezing shed, because I made sure at least a tiny proportion of my money stayed in the "non-boat" account.

The fourth quarter, I have added all these things up, but have to multiply all my mistakes by two because she has two bloody hulls and a lot else in between.

Now you can see that when I said "rule" you are probably saying that I haven't demonstrated one at all, which would be right. Because when you are boatbuilding per se, you can chuck all logic and money out of your cabin window.

Boat plan sellers please note! You are drawing them so you don't have to make 'em.

Bon soir a tous
Lignator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 13:40   #2

Re: Boatbuilding a multihull, budgets, paradigms, utter falsehood

OR.... you know how big the boat is going to be, so you get a shed that is big enough (bigger than the boat is usually handy)

Buy most of the materials up front, thus dodging the price rises. (Though price falls are also neatly dodged.)

Keep building at a rate that works for you....

Yes, there are two hulls.... you'd kind of hope you knew that going in....

There are a few designers who actually build some of the boats they design.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 14:55   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

The real trick is to pay someone else to build it for you, save some money, and go sailing years sooner.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 17:27   #4

See also "Cheap Multis and Projects"

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 22:25   #5

Being kind of "jack of all trades" (I probably could build cat from scratch if I had all the time in the world) I'd never start such huge project for many reasons. It's just easier to buy used factory cat and modify it to your needs, restore close to new condition. And all these years you've saved you can work to fund boat purchase and modification. At the end, you might get nice boat for free considering money you've made . As many times stated, big manufacturers (like Lagoon) buy parts and materials at bulk prices, in most cases you can't even get close to these deals. They use factory technology (epoxy infusion, for example), which will be nearly impossible to duplicate in hobby shop.
That's if you want modern cruising cat. Things might look different if you're thinking about cheap but fast cat with minimum comfort.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:41   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Were it me, & I have thought through doing this a lot, it makes sense to have the big parts/modules professionally built. Or most of them.
Especially the hulls, & some of the cabin bits. Or parts, which due to the skill level involved in building them, would take you gobs of time to construct.

Then, you do only enough of the; assembly, interior, & systems, to go cruising in a KISS boat. Fitting out the "shell" as time & funds allow. For you'll be beyond broke by the time the shell is put together anyway.
Plus, there's a lot to be said for a light, simple boat. And it's all of the little details that eat up the majority of time, & often $. Aside from putting a good finish onto the boat that is.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:04   #7

I'm going to disagree somewhat, hulls and decks are the easy bit, big yes but easy, hire some skilled labour if need be, quality fit out is where the professional help pays off. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:34   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lignator View Post
There's the one in four rule:

The first quarter,(it's not about moons), you calculate the material and shed rental costs, over four years.

The second quarter, you realise the costs have doubled , per year, (you need more than that space anyway) but as a proportion of overall "value", you think, I can build faster now I have more knowledge, and negate the inflation.

The third quarter. Now I have more knowledge (a little of - being a prickly question), I build slower, because I know a bit about about idiotic mistakes and design. I am older also and prefer a bottle of decent Rioja and a warm lady to a dusty night in a freezing shed, because I made sure at least a tiny proportion of my money stayed in the "non-boat" account.

The fourth quarter, I have added all these things up, but have to multiply all my mistakes by two because she has two bloody hulls and a lot else in between.

Now you can see that when I said "rule" you are probably saying that I haven't demonstrated one at all, which would be right. Because when you are boatbuilding per se, you can chuck all logic and money out of your cabin window.

Boat plan sellers please note! You are drawing them so you don't have to make 'em.

Bon soir a tous
Would you build a car or buy one from the showroom or the used car lot.......
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:46   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

IMHO

Build a small proa, sail it, sell it.

Build a bigger proa, sail it, sell it.

Build a huge sewage holding tank for a farm, work to a contract, sell it.

At this stage you have made 90%+ of all mistakes one can make while building a multihull.

Now you can build you own multihull. Cheaper, faster, etc.

Boat building is not to be confused with boat sailing.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:54   #10

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

Go ahead and buy a second hand - you will start sailing immediatelly and you will have all kinds of fixings and upgrades to do if you really want to work

It will cost you much less as well.
Cheers
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:33   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
IMHO

Build a small proa, sail it, sell it.

Build a bigger proa, sail it, sell it.

Build a huge sewage holding tank for a farm, work to a contract, sell it.

At this stage you have made 90%+ of all mistakes one can make while building a multihull.

Now you can build you own multihull. Cheaper, faster, etc.

Boat building is not to be confused with boat sailing.

b.
This sounds like the old saying:
Build the first boat you build, for someone that you don't llke.
Build the second one for a friend.
Build the third one for yourself.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:52   #12

Boat: Calypso Cat 21'

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
This sounds like the old saying:
Build the first boat you build, for someone that you don't llke.
Build the second one for a friend.
Build the third one for yourself.
Here here. Well said!
Dave-Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 13:07   #13

Buying used (or new) is fine, if you can find a used or production boat that suits you. I couldn't. Most production boats are pretty awful (IMO), poorly built (if nicely finished) and the ones I did like were way out of my possible price range.

If you pick the right design and construction method, building can get you at a reasonable price, the kind of boat it would cost far more to buy.

John McEnroe
Old 03-05-2016, 13:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Were it me, & I have thought through doing this a lot, it makes sense to have the big parts/modules professionally built. Or most of them.
Especially the hulls, & some of the cabin bits. Or parts, which due to the skill level involved in building them, would take you gobs of time to construct.

Then, you do only enough of the; assembly, interior, & systems, to go cruising in a KISS boat. Fitting out the "shell" as time & funds allow. For you'll be beyond broke by the time the shell is put together anyway.
Plus, there's a lot to be said for a light, simple boat. And it's all of the little details that eat up the majority of time, & often $. Aside from putting a good finish onto the boat that is.
Building the shell is the quick, cheap and easy bit.

John McEnroe
Old 03-05-2016, 14:19   #15

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1100 Cat

If all that you have ever wanted to do was build a Cat then go for it provided you have the time, money, dedication, understanding wife, teenage boys, friends who can assist at times, stable homelife, no religion, laid back personality, taste for all alcoholic beverages, time again, money again, good undercover area and a set of plans and contact with the designer who has built and sailed his own designs. (I may have left a few home building traits out).

It took me ten years to build our Schionning Wilderness 1100. Would I do it again,... yes only if I could go back in time.

My situation was that I didnt have the cash up front so had to keep working - the labour component was not a factor! I was locked into a ten year build time. Both loved and hated the process though.

If you have the cash,.....no time and want to sail,.... go and buy. If you have a neverending desire to create, self gratitude, accomplishment and personal sacrifice then build as no matter what anyone says,....it is destiny!
AnamCara-A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, hood, hull, multihull