Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 14:23   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK
Boat: Tiki 31 catamaran
Posts: 13
Boatbuilding a multihull, budgets, paradigms, utter falsehood

There's the one in four rule:

The first quarter,(it's not about moons), you calculate the material and shed rental costs, over four years.

The second quarter, you realise the costs have doubled , per year, (you need more than that space anyway) but as a proportion of overall "value", you think, I can build faster now I have more knowledge, and negate the inflation.

The third quarter. Now I have more knowledge (a little of - being a prickly question), I build slower, because I know a bit about about idiotic mistakes and design. I am older also and prefer a bottle of decent Rioja and a warm lady to a dusty night in a freezing shed, because I made sure at least a tiny proportion of my money stayed in the "non-boat" account.

The fourth quarter, I have added all these things up, but have to multiply all my mistakes by two because she has two bloody hulls and a lot else in between.

Now you can see that when I said "rule" you are probably saying that I haven't demonstrated one at all, which would be right. Because when you are boatbuilding per se, you can chuck all logic and money out of your cabin window.

Boat plan sellers please note! You are drawing them so you don't have to make 'em.

Bon soir a tous
__________________

__________________
Lignator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 14:40   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,454
Images: 69
Re: Boatbuilding a multihull, budgets, paradigms, utter falsehood

OR.... you know how big the boat is going to be, so you get a shed that is big enough (bigger than the boat is usually handy)


Buy most of the materials up front, thus dodging the price rises. (Though price falls are also neatly dodged.)


Keep building at a rate that works for you....


Yes, there are two hulls.... you'd kind of hope you knew that going in....


There are a few designers who actually build some of the boats they design.
__________________

__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 15:55   #3
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Posts: 3,940
Re: Boatbuilding a multihull, budgets, paradigms, utter falsehood

The real trick is to pay someone else to build it for you, save some money, and go sailing years sooner.
__________________
Greg

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 18:27   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fremantle
Posts: 307
Re: Boatbuilding a multihull, budgets, paradigms, utter falsehood

See also "Cheap Multis and Projects"




Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 23:25   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 444
Re: Boatbuilding a multihull, budgets, paradigms, utter falsehood

Being kind of "jack of all trades" (I probably could build cat from scratch if I had all the time in the world) I'd never start such huge project for many reasons. It's just easier to buy used factory cat and modify it to your needs, restore close to new condition. And all these years you've saved you can work to fund boat purchase and modification. At the end, you might get nice boat for free considering money you've made . As many times stated, big manufacturers (like Lagoon) buy parts and materials at bulk prices, in most cases you can't even get close to these deals. They use factory technology (epoxy infusion, for example), which will be nearly impossible to duplicate in hobby shop.
That's if you want modern cruising cat. Things might look different if you're thinking about cheap but fast cat with minimum comfort.
__________________
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:41   #6
Registered User
 
UNCIVILIZED's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Up the mast, looking for clean wind.
Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Posts: 5,629
Re: Boatbuilding a multihull, budgets, paradigms, utter falsehood

Were it me, & I have thought through doing this a lot, it makes sense to have the big parts/modules professionally built. Or most of them.
Especially the hulls, & some of the cabin bits. Or parts, which due to the skill level involved in building them, would take you gobs of time to construct.

Then, you do only enough of the; assembly, interior, & systems, to go cruising in a KISS boat. Fitting out the "shell" as time & funds allow. For you'll be beyond broke by the time the shell is put together anyway.
Plus, there's a lot to be said for a light, simple boat. And it's all of the little details that eat up the majority of time, & often $. Aside from putting a good finish onto the boat that is.
__________________

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:04   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fremantle
Posts: 307
Re: Boatbuilding a multihull, budgets, paradigms, utter falsehood

I'm going to disagree somewhat, hulls and decks are the easy bit, big yes but easy, hire some skilled labour if need be, quality fit out is where the professional help pays off. IMHO


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:34   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mediterranean
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Posts: 282
Re: Boatbuilding a multihull, budgets, paradigms, utter falsehood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lignator View Post
There's the one in four rule:

The first quarter,(it's not about moons), you calculate the material and shed rental costs, over four years.

The second quarter, you realise the costs have doubled , per year, (you need more than that space anyway) but as a proportion of overall "value", you think, I can build faster now I have more knowledge, and negate the inflation.

The third quarter. Now I have more knowledge (a little of - being a prickly question), I build slower, because I know a bit about about idiotic mistakes and design. I am older also and prefer a bottle of decent Rioja and a warm lady to a dusty night in a freezing shed, because I made sure at least a tiny proportion of my money stayed in the "non-boat" account.

The fourth quarter, I have added all these things up, but have to multiply all my mistakes by two because she has two bloody hulls and a lot else in between.

Now you can see that when I said "rule" you are probably saying that I haven't demonstrated one at all, which would be right. Because when you are boatbuilding per se, you can chuck all logic and money out of your cabin window.

Boat plan sellers please note! You are drawing them so you don't have to make 'em.

Bon soir a tous
Would you build a car or buy one from the showroom or the used car lot.......
__________________
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:46   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Boatbuilding a multihull, budgets, paradigms, utter falsehood

IMHO

Build a small proa, sail it, sell it.

Build a bigger proa, sail it, sell it.

Build a huge sewage holding tank for a farm, work to a contract, sell it.

At this stage you have made 90%+ of all mistakes one can make while building a multihull.

Now you can build you own multihull. Cheaper, faster, etc.

Boat building is not to be confused with boat sailing.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:54   #10
Registered User
 
Manos1955's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Thessalonki Greece
Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Posts: 153
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955
Re: Boatbuilding a multihull, budgets, paradigms, utter falsehood

Go ahead and buy a second hand - you will start sailing immediatelly and you will have all kinds of fixings and upgrades to do if you really want to work

It will cost you much less as well.
Cheers
__________________
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 13:33   #11
Registered User
 
UNCIVILIZED's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Up the mast, looking for clean wind.
Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Posts: 5,629
Re: Boatbuilding a multihull, budgets, paradigms, utter falsehood

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
IMHO

Build a small proa, sail it, sell it.

Build a bigger proa, sail it, sell it.

Build a huge sewage holding tank for a farm, work to a contract, sell it.

At this stage you have made 90%+ of all mistakes one can make while building a multihull.

Now you can build you own multihull. Cheaper, faster, etc.

Boat building is not to be confused with boat sailing.

b.
This sounds like the old saying:
Build the first boat you build, for someone that you don't llke.
Build the second one for a friend.
Build the third one for yourself.
__________________

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 13:52   #12
Registered User
 
Dave-Zim's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Zimbabwe
Boat: Calypso Cat 21'
Posts: 44
Re: Boatbuilding a multihull, budgets, paradigms, utter falsehood

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
This sounds like the old saying:
Build the first boat you build, for someone that you don't llke.
Build the second one for a friend.
Build the third one for yourself.
Here here. Well said!
__________________
Dave-Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 14:07   #13
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,454
Images: 69
Re: Boatbuilding a multihull, budgets, paradigms, utter falsehood

Buying used (or new) is fine, if you can find a used or production boat that suits you. I couldn't. Most production boats are pretty awful (IMO), poorly built (if nicely finished) and the ones I did like were way out of my possible price range.


If you pick the right design and construction method, building can get you at a reasonable price, the kind of boat it would cost far more to buy.
__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 14:09   #14
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,454
Images: 69
Re: Boatbuilding a multihull, budgets, paradigms, utter falsehood

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Were it me, & I have thought through doing this a lot, it makes sense to have the big parts/modules professionally built. Or most of them.
Especially the hulls, & some of the cabin bits. Or parts, which due to the skill level involved in building them, would take you gobs of time to construct.

Then, you do only enough of the; assembly, interior, & systems, to go cruising in a KISS boat. Fitting out the "shell" as time & funds allow. For you'll be beyond broke by the time the shell is put together anyway.
Plus, there's a lot to be said for a light, simple boat. And it's all of the little details that eat up the majority of time, & often $. Aside from putting a good finish onto the boat that is.
Building the shell is the quick, cheap and easy bit.
__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 15:19   #15
Registered User
 
AnamCara-A's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Port Macquarie NSW
Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1100 Cat
Posts: 10
Re: Boatbuilding a multihull, budgets, paradigms, utter falsehood

If all that you have ever wanted to do was build a Cat then go for it provided you have the time, money, dedication, understanding wife, teenage boys, friends who can assist at times, stable homelife, no religion, laid back personality, taste for all alcoholic beverages, time again, money again, good undercover area and a set of plans and contact with the designer who has built and sailed his own designs. (I may have left a few home building traits out).

It took me ten years to build our Schionning Wilderness 1100. Would I do it again,... yes only if I could go back in time.

My situation was that I didnt have the cash up front so had to keep working - the labour component was not a factor! I was locked into a ten year build time. Both loved and hated the process though.

If you have the cash,.....no time and want to sail,.... go and buy. If you have a neverending desire to create, self gratitude, accomplishment and personal sacrifice then build as no matter what anyone says,....it is destiny!
__________________

__________________
AnamCara-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
budget, hood, hull, multihull

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inverter Installation Paradigms zboss Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 17 04-10-2015 11:39
Utter Newbie lost Meets & Greets 17 09-09-2010 13:46
Age ol' question - Cruising Budgets Pyxis Provisioning: Food & Drink 21 18-12-2007 23:19
Everyone is asking about live-aboard budgets, so I thought... scgilligan General Sailing Forum 15 11-10-2007 19:53



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:06.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.