Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2009, 08:58   #31
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I think the Multihull area was down but didn't appear so because of the used boats the Catamaran Co. brought in (5). Catana and Dean where not represented. Fountaine Pajot had a Orana and Lavezzi but not the Salina. I agree the mono area was way down. I went to Strictly Sail on Thursday and thought attendance was low, though last year I went on Friday instead.

The big difference for me this year was the interaction between show-goer and broker. Last year I heard "How has the economy affected you" or "Are you discounting to get people to buy" asked a lot. Many where activily comparing one boat to another, looking at option lists, etc. This year I didn't see or hear any of that. I would guess I saw one couple seriously talking to brokers. Otherwise it was looking only. For the brokers it was a "keep your chin up" attitude with the realization not much was going to move anytime soon. On another forum I read a post where the member stated that no manufacturer, period, was going to make it through this unscathed of not shattered and I'd have to agree.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 09:51   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Prout, Quasar, 50'
You're probably right about the Catamaran Company's bringing in used boats. I hadn't thought of that as a reason the multihull numbers were up, but it makes sense. Thursday being VIP day and Friday being a workday, are always easy days to look at the boats as the attendance is generally down. We were surprised to see that Saturday attendance was down also, but we saw some serious negotiations taking place on some of the boats, which was a good thing. I guess that so many builders blew out this year that those that are left are going to be okay. I certainly hope so. We spoke to a couple of builders and were told that they are doing better than they thought possible and are keeping their fingers crossed that sales keep up. From my mouth to God's ears!

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Sea Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 16:41   #33

Boat: Privilege 39
I really wish they'd start bringing in more cruising cats for the Oakland Strictly Sail, since usually there's only 2 or 3... I guess we'll see how that show goes this year, it was quite a bit smaller last year, we thought, than previously...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 17:59   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Prout, Quasar, 50'
Scotte,
We've never been to the Oakland show. If you've been to SS Miami, how does it compare?

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Sea Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 18:10   #35

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Exhibitors were way down at SS Miami, too. The JSI shop that sells halyards & stuff wasn't there at all. Wasn't there two tents last year, whereas this year there was only one? There was only one inflatable vendor--Achilles--down from three or so last year.

I thought the tone and energy were down, but not apocalyptic.

Tags
boat show