Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2011, 11:36   #1

Boat: Privilege 482
Boat Comparison Spreadsheet for Purchase Decision

I was getting ready to start putting together a spreadsheet to assist me in comparing various specific cats that we may consider purchasing when I realized that this has probably been done before. Anyone have a spreadsheet they can share that I could use as a starting point?

For my own effort, I was contemplating putting together a scoring system or adjusted price comparison that would help normalize for the different conditions and equipment of the boats (e.g. engine hours over 4000 increases the relative price (or decreases a score) whereas a functional watermaker may decrease the relative price (or increase a score)). This is all in an effort to compare apples to apples between widely disparate boats.

I will be happy to share my results as well.

Thanks- Matt
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 16:40   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: Boat Comparison Spreadsheet for Purchase Decision

Adaero (occasionally of this forum) produced a very good one. I didn't agree with some of his weightings for what was important but you can change those. I've probably still got a copy somewhere so I'll see if I can find it.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 15:50   #3

Mike- Thanks! Send me a pm or email if you are able to dig it up.
Old 16-09-2011, 10:43   #4

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

This is a great idea. I have been thinking of developing the same thing (which is why I think it's such a great idea!). I too would love to see what others have come up with.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 11:06   #5

You might want to check out this sight.

Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2500+ boats
boobalulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 05:38   #6

Found it!!!!!

It was produced in 2007 by Andy (Adaero) and led to him purchasing a Leopard 46. If you know Excel you can of course change the weightings that Andy used to come to his decision. Peronally I disagreed with many of the weightings and, for me, there was one very important field missing... Probable resale value. I think Andy may well have changed some of the entries as the total score for one boat was very good but when Andy tried the boat he realised it was horrible in conditions other than flat sea!

There are entries for pretty much all the the cats that were available in the 42-48 ft range in 2007.

I'll try and contact Andy to see if he is happy for me to post a link. I think he has previously made it available on another forum so I don't imagine it'll be a problem.

Old 20-09-2011, 08:32   #7

OK, here it is... attached I hope

Lots of details about the cats that were available back in 2008. Prices are in GBP. Change calculations to give your own priority to the various features that matter to you.

Some of the numbers must be wrong. For instance... The Voyage 440 comes out as having good bridgedeck clearance whereas, in reality, it is one of the worst.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Cat rating.xls (88.0 KB, 1226 views)

Old 20-09-2011, 12:16   #8

Thanks Mike!

While this will provide some great data, I was thinking more along the lines of a sheet that would help me put a relative value on a specific used cat once I narrow down my list to 10 or so contenders. For me anyway, it gets hard to do all the mental monetary "puts and takes" as I compare boat 1 with low engine hours, no generator, and an optional bow sprit with boat 2 with a generator, electrical panels, watermaker, no bowsprit, high engine hours but new sails, etc.
Old 26-09-2011, 03:31   #9

I think a lot of it first has to be narrowed down to what the buyer's requirement s are first then work around that. For example;
1) want a luxury cat? YES NO
2) The more options the better and willing to deal with the maintenance. YES NO
3) How big is big enough? The bigger the more time to keep clean, and maintain. Maybe not a problem but my 46' cat keeps me busy, real busy.
4) Be honest, how many people will be on board 95% of the time?
5) Do you like to tinker? Yes No
6) Planning to sail to far off places? Yes No
7) I like to sail at a nice slow pace? Yes No
8) I enjoy sailing fast and hope to get place in half the time than other cruisers. Yes No
9) Resale value is important. Yes No
10) Cost to moor the boat of the size you want.
11) Can the boat be pulled out of the water easily in your area? Yes No
12) Do you care what the boat looks like design wise? Yes No
13) How much can you afford.
And I am sure you can add to this list.

Then work around these points.

Oh. ALso be honest about yourself is really key. The best way to do this is take a second and look back at what kind of person you REALLY ARE. Then think of a boat that fits this criteria. The more honest you are to yourself the better choice you'll make. So if you do not clean at home and can not afford a maid then think of a boat that is easy to clean and maintain. Or if you drive slow and never care about how long it takes to get somewhere then getting a slow boat would be fine. BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF or you will end up selling the boat and getting one that fits you eventually.

I have a phrase I live by and think it works well.
"Just enough and never too much"

At least that is how I feel

Cheers.
Tropical Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 04:12   #10

Boat: secondarily boatless

Matt,

we just went through pretty much the same process. Set up a spreadsheet, were overwhelmed by the choices. Went to tradeshows - and one by one options fell by the wayside. Not because they wouldn't have been good boats, but you develop "killer" criteria. For me it's height (I am 6'2" - 1.85m), so a lot of what we could afford simply was lacking headroom. For example, I visited a wonderful Outremer - hit my head diving underneath the Bimini, and again getting into a hull. No, I am not particularly clumsy, but I also cannot imagine spending a lot of time with my head bowed - simply not my character...

Another thing: You will quickly discover that there's a lot of different designs out there. And as with everything, your eye will be pleased by boats that somebody else might find hideous. And it may again be a purely personal attitude, but when I get on my boat I want to smile, because it's lines please my eye and I find her beautiful.

We've been at it for roundabout 9 months and we're down to two boats, same model, slightly different year, which we will test-sail next weekend. And on these boats we already know pretty well what's missing, what is good and what we are willing to accept.

So from my side the simple advice: Go and look at boats. Every time you do, things will get clearer - one way or the other. Beats statistics and theoretical evaluation on paper handily.

Oliver
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 05:01   #11

Oliver and Tropical Home - Thanks for the input. The spreadsheet isn't really intended to compare design considerations. I've already made some high level decisions on the types of boats that would be acceptable (and they are ALL used). Now that I have a range of models (let's say 3-4) and a range of years (4-9 years old) that gives me quite a few different ACTUAL boats to consider. Each of these boats started with a different complement of accessories, have had different levels of equipment added to them over the years, and are in differing states of overall condition. Which represents the best value? This is what the spreadsheet will help me keep track off.
Old 04-12-2022, 15:22   #12

Boat: 2009 Leopard 40 (hull 132)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
Oliver and Tropical Home - Thanks for the input. The spreadsheet isn't really intended to compare design considerations. I've already made some high level decisions on the types of boats that would be acceptable (and they are ALL used). Now that I have a range of models (let's say 3-4) and a range of years (4-9 years old) that gives me quite a few different ACTUAL boats to consider. Each of these boats started with a different complement of accessories, have had different levels of equipment added to them over the years, and are in differing states of overall condition. Which represents the best value? This is what the spreadsheet will help me keep track off.
I am in the same situation. Ideally, I'd have a spreadsheet which lists (in rows) all the typical equipment, found on a yacht, category by category. Then vertical columns would represent one particular yacht, under evaluation. I imagine there may be few columns per yacht, e.g. the original cost of a given part, its age/condition (which translates into e.g. a discount percentage OFF that original cost), additional comments on its condition, then an adjusted cost (used to compare and to derive yacht's total actual value). Anyone has anything resembling this logic?
DiStefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 15:48   #13

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

You may be a research type guy and already read this article
https://5oceansmarinegroup.com/artic...adsheet-guy-3/
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 22:17   #14

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Found it!!!!!

It was produced in 2007 by Andy (Adaero) and led to him purchasing a Leopard 46. If you know Excel you can of course change the weightings that Andy used to come to his decision. Peronally I disagreed with many of the weightings and, for me, there was one very important field missing... Probable resale value. I think Andy may well have changed some of the entries as the total score for one boat was very good but when Andy tried the boat he realised it was horrible in conditions other than flat sea!

There are entries for pretty much all the the cats that were available in the 42-48 ft range in 2007.

I'll try and contact Andy to see if he is happy for me to post a link. I think he has previously made it available on another forum so I don't imagine it'll be a problem.
Any spread sheet that led them to buy a Leopard 46 is clearly flawed.

Sorry, no disrespect intended, I would have said it for any boat. It just sounded funny in my head and my filters are overdue.
Old 04-12-2022, 22:32   #15

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Just a thought.....People always talk about the 3 sides of a triangle.
  • Cost
  • Performance
  • Luxury

Maybe start by clearly defining what those equate to on a scale of 1-10.

Cost is easy
Performance not too hard
Luxury will be harder and maybe use a side points system for space and appliances that boil down to a 1-10 score.

Apply your own weighting to the triangle before looking at the spread sheet to give you a window, or a band of rows in the spread sheet to assess for your preferences other wise you might not get what your expecting.