Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2010, 11:15   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
BMW Oracle Evaluating Monos and Multis . . .

The goal of their "media trials" is to figure out which type makes for better TV - an important consideration if the competition is to attract a wider audience.

the outcome here is interesting.

After a day of dramatic shots from the monos (RC44s), some dramatic shots here:

34th America's Cup - live streaming video powered by Livestream

The multis (X40s) were to be evaluated today, but the 15-18 knot winds (conditions the RC44s would have eaten up) were just too much for cats:

http://bmworacleracingblog.blogspot....edium=facebook
Old 23-07-2010, 11:53   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
They have lost me going to multies....( at least these ones ) I didn't even watch after the first race..I want to see them sailing in what ever weather is dished out ..not picking and choosing ideal conditions...heck me and my newbie all girly girl crew can sail the stupid things in that....

Nothing against multies...make them say all 40 footers and make them sail on a specific day no mater what and I'm back in....I like a good crash..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 13:00   #3

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran
From today's testing:

Tom
tsmwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 13:43   #4

YA!...now were talk-in!...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 23-07-2010, 14:16   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, too bad it was too much for 'em:

After 90 minutes on the water, the crews, race officials and TV personnel were forced back to the safety of the Port America’s Cup because of rough conditions.
Old 23-07-2010, 14:16   #6

Boat: R & C Leopard 38 (2001)
“For us, the waves were fun,” said Hagara, 44. “But for the TV guys, it was a little wet."

It was the TV crew that called it quits, not the sailors.

Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 14:53   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
“For us, the waves were fun,” said Hagara, 44. “But for the TV guys, it was a little wet."

It was the TV crew that called it quits, not the sailors.

Dave
gotta get the film tho. that's the whole point of the exercise!
Old 24-07-2010, 11:27   #8

They are uploading the rushes to youtube from time to time:
YouTube - 34thAC's Channel
I find they work better for me than the streaming video.

Sorry about putting this on the "cruising" forum.

Tom.
Old 24-07-2010, 11:49   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41
Lets get serious though. Sailing and TV don't mix. There is a certain element that is interested in sailing and that can grow a little but most people are just not interested.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 12:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Lets get serious though. Sailing and TV don't mix. There is a certain element that is interested in sailing and that can grow a little but most people are just not interested.
Seems unlikely that sailing TV will take the world by storm. Still, there's a TV niche for snooker... The question for me is will folks who cruise or sail the occasional PHRF race be interested enough to tune in? I watched the last cup in a marina in Mexico with a large and active sailing and boating community many of them yanks with a team in the race and good internet access. I think about four of us watched it and it drew a yawn and a couple of rolled eyes on the radio net at best. I also watched an AC in New Zealand where it drew lots of attention on a mostly jingoistic theme... Maybe a cup in SF Bay will draw some US interest and if folks tune in and the sailing is both visually interesting and not too hard to understand sailing might capture a marketable audience.

Tom
Old 24-07-2010, 13:56   #11

I disagree

Sailing and TV can and will mix once enough interest in REAL video crews taking it to heart.

Why isnt Soccer as popular as Baseball....take a look at the difference in the film coverage....you probably have 20 cameras going with Foot ball, 10 going with Baseball and 4 going with soccer.

There is just not the element of instant replay , close action Slow motion follow through or sideline antics to keep a TV audience interested.....Same with Sailing.

That and lets face it Last years AC was a major downer....two boats?...big deal!

BORING!
Even for sailors!

Old 24-07-2010, 19:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
That and lets face it Last years AC was a major downer....two boats?...big deal!

BORING!
Even for sailors!
The AC is always just two boats -- one defender and one challenger. There may be a defenders and challenger series and/or "acts" though and they can be fun. FWIW, I'm a sailor and I found the boats and the sailing in AC 33 fascinating even awesome. Sadly the coverage was very poor and years of litigation a major turn off.

Tom.
Old 24-07-2010, 20:49   #13

Before the last AC, TV coverage included cameras & microphones onboard. Allinghi insisted that they were NOT allowed this last time around.

The shots & sounds in both the Louis Vuitton & AC in the past were amazing. When coupled with knowledgeable announcers, the computer graphics, helicopter & on-water shots, the viewers had plenty of action to keep your attention.

To hear the crew & boat groaning (and sometimes breaking) is priceless
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 22:03   #14

Digging into AC34 site is encouraging - so different than 33

America’s Cup organizers plan lab experiment off Valencia | 34th America's Cup
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 22:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I disagree

Sailing and TV can and will mix once enough interest in REAL video crews taking it to heart.

Why isnt Soccer as popular as Baseball....take a look at the difference in the film coverage....you probably have 20 cameras going with Foot ball, 10 going with Baseball and 4 going with soccer.

There is just not the element of instant replay , close action Slow motion follow through or sideline antics to keep a TV audience interested.....Same with Sailing.

BORING!
Even for sailors!

er...not to cause thread drift, but "soccer" or football as 99% of the world rightly calls it, is by a massive, massive margin, THE largest spectator sport in the world, with THE highest TV cumulative ratings of any sporting event anywhere in the world (that is, "the world" as in this planet, not as in "the world series" or calling nba champions "world champions" and similar other hallucinogenic linguistic drift).

clearly, the number of cameras has little to do with the popularity of the sport on screen.
axel&andie is offline   Reply With Quote