Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2010, 15:52   #46

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Can you sail the V70 without an engine running? and what are the releative amounts of crew necessary tossail the boats. Not picking a fight just a serious question, like many othet folk, I dont understand how we could allow racing using boats that need motors to SAIL safely
ORMA 60 minimum crew: 1. VO70 minimum crew: 11.

The VO70 needs to run the engine to change the cant of the keel. The engine does not run continuously but the boat can not tack, jibe or "change gears" without it. Sail controls are human powered.

60' tri max 24 hour run: 667nm. 70' canting keel mono max 24 hour run: 596.5. 60' monohull canting keel 24 hour record: 501.3 nm.

And, 60' multihull single handed 24 hour record: 610.45... Goodness what exciting things you can find while laid low by a summer cold

24 Hour Distance

Who knows what tomorrow will bring but for now the canters are not even close to competitive with the multis.

Tom
tsmwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 17:28   #47

The top 24 hour record for the V70's were around 616 nm in a 24 hour run, not sure why the record doesn't show up yet. Here is the first boat to break the 600 mile mark. Volvo Ocean Race

Regarding the canting keel: the keel can be canted by engine, stored energy (ie battery) or with the coffee grinders. I would guess they mostly used battery but if fuel was low the grinders probably got some work.

Volvo Ocean Race

The next generation is estimeted to be 5 to 10 percent faster. It will be interesting to see if they use horizontal foils. DSS - Dynamic Stability Systems - the revolutionary retractable foil keel technology for monohull yachts and boats
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 17:53   #48
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

I know a lot of sailors don't understand this because that's not their form of entertainment...but Oracle is asking, what would attract an audience? Well, its right in front of their face by doing what NASCAR is doing right to promote their sport. Sure this might upset the Thurston Howell's, but too bad for them.
Ask any college sailing coach where the best racing happens, and they'll tell you that it's neither match racing or fleet racing, it's team racing. Two teams, three identical boats race for each team. It suddenly becomes strategic because a 2,3,4 beats a 1,5,6 every time. So if you're the lead boat and you see that your teammates are lagging, you've got to do a "pass back" or a "mark block" to give your mates a chance to gain position.

Of course, even though the racing is more exciting, it's not as fun for billionaires because you can't win the race just by throwing money at it. It becomes a race where the best team wins, not the best boat.
Old 26-07-2010, 18:35   #49

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
The top 24 hour record for the V70's were around 616 nm in a 24 hour run, not sure why the record doesn't show up yet. Here is the first boat to break the 600 mile mark. Volvo Ocean Race

Regarding the canting keel: the keel can be canted by engine, stored energy (ie battery) or with the coffee grinders. I would guess they mostly used battery but if fuel was low the grinders probably got some work.

Volvo Ocean Race

The next generation is estimeted to be 5 to 10 percent faster. It will be interesting to see if they use horizontal foils. DSS - Dynamic Stability Systems - the revolutionary retractable foil keel technology for monohull yachts and boats
AFIK from reading the reports they turn the engine on every single time they tack or jibe maybe they use battery power for small changes in angle and I think the human powered canting is purely an emergency device.

The Volvo site is apparently incorrect. According to WSSR the record was ratified at 596.6. I guess Volvo didn't feel the need to post a correction having made a big noise about 600+ at the time?

The next generation will be interesting and since the ORMAs are dieing out the VO's may manage sprint runs comparable to them but they're unlikely to be competitive over the range of conditions. Foils for RM, like keels, work better with a longer lever arm so foil assisted multis will have the advantage there as well.

Tom
tsmwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 19:16   #50

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Joli,
I was looking at it from the perspective of a non-sailor and what would be most interesting to them.

You and I appreciate a good match race, but probably not most people who do not understand the nuances. Remember, the largest sport in this country is NASCAR and what do they do? They put a lot of cars into a relatively small space and go like hell. That's considered excitement for a lot of people.

I know a lot of sailors don't understand this because that's not their form of entertainment...but Oracle is asking, what would attract an audience? Well, its right in front of their face by doing what NASCAR is doing right to promote their sport. Sure this might upset the Thurston Howell's, but too bad for them.

Has the fact that most people consider yacht racing to be an elitist sport ever helped the sport?

If sailing wants to keep its elitist image then keep on with what it is already with the Rolex sponsorships etc, because that's all who are going to be watching, elitists.

The elitist perception by the public may or may not be true but that's the perception and that's what counts if they want to attract a larger audience.

Maybe Budweiser, Home Depot and Tide should be a sponsor of the next America's Cup? Maybe drop BMW for Chevy?

Less champagne...more beer.
Good post Dave

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote