Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 03:42   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I think it is more like someone screwed up
A bit like the last America cup OZ boat. The mast stood up but the boat folded in half, you got to be carefull with these backstay tensionner.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:43   #17

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Destructive Engineering--design downward until it breaks
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:55   #18

Boat: TPI Lagoon 42
I'm just glad someone with deep pockets and the requisite big ego is willing to do this work. Can you imagine what our boats would cost if the normal boat builders did it all?
Yotboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:07   #19

Boat: Looking for a new boat
I hate to say it but with all of the poverty in the world spending that money on a rig is a complete waste.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:18   #20

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
I can't begin to imagine the loads that these guys are dealing with. My tri is less than 1/3 the size of BOR 90 and the thing makes more wierd noises and motions as you approach 20knts than you can believe. I wonder what the main sheet loads are and supposedly the rules do not allow powered winches. It staggers the mind! Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:22   #21
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
I hate to say it but with all of the poverty in the world spending that money on a rig is a complete waste.
You're entitled to your opinion, unbusted, but it goes completely against every concept of freedom most people hold. However one earns capital, the decision on what to do with it should be entirely the earner's.

No one is compelled to buy Oracle software or BMW automobiles, but so many people have chosen to do so that both corporations are incredibly successful and wealthy. That they, in turn, have freely chosen to expend their capital on an America's Cup effort is no one's business but theirs.

The argument you've put forth could logically be extended to anything anyone spends money on if it does not directly relieve poverty, including buying a boat, going cruising, buying a computer or joining Cruisers Forum.

But the truth is that if every cent or minute of time were somehow re-directed to alleviating poverty, this would be a very boring world, and counter-productive in the long run.

At least, that's my opinion.

TaoJones
Old 04-11-2009, 07:39   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Here Here Tao! The opportunity to make money is an entrepreneurs incentive for creating things for which there is a demand. Remove that incentive and we cease to have those things along with the jobs that producing those things creates. Remove the opportunity to make money and nobody has the money to help those with less. Money is not a finite pie to be divided up, money is created.

Larry Ellison has a net worth of 22.5 billion according to Wikipedia. I doubt he even flinched.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:55   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
At more than 2x the LOA, I would think the thing just collapsed under its own weight.

Seriously, the SA/D on this bugger has got to be way off the charts. That's a tremendous amount of force even under relatively benign conditions.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:25   #24

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Larry Ellison, the founder of Qracle. is a very interesting person. Rich? For sure, but he had the fortitude to found his company without the help of venture captilist at the very start of the Dot com era. He survived when others did not. His company has just bought Sun Microsystems.

Larry Ellsion has had alot of experience in ocean racing and his boats, with him on board, have been in several impressive ocean races. The infamous Sidney to Hobert being but one of many.

I once anchored in front of one of his yachts at St Barth's one New Years Eve. The Rising Sun, 138 meters long, with 8,000 square meters of living space! A thirty foot power boat patrolled the waters around his yacht, all night. I used 10:1 scope on my chain.

John
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:11   #25

Boat: Rainbow 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
The men and women employed in designing, fabricating, installing, testing, and operating the rig would probably disagree. As would the sailors of the future, who would never see the improvements provided by such research & development efforts.

Best of luck to them. Hope they get things sorted out quick.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:24   #26

Boat: TPI Lagoon 42
Last Saturday I was out on the water doing race practice (on a mono - gasp!) and BOR 90 was headed out the bay - at an estimated 10 kts with almost no wind to speak of. We tried to keep up alongside for a bit - she's really an amazing sight. The loads when it pipes up must be insane.

Socio-economically speaking, this program literally floods the area with money, and not all to high-tech snotty-yotti purposes either. The crew buys clothes, rents cars, go out to eat, and on and on... quite a trickle-down that you would expect from any mid-size business. I'm sure some percentage of that cash winds its way to noble purposes, either through taxes or charity. Anyhow, this big rig crash will cost a bunch and around and around it goes...
Yotboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 13:58   #27

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
However one earns capital, the decision on what to do with it should be entirely the earner's.TaoJones
I didn't and would not disagree with that.
Quote:
That they, in turn, have freely chosen to expend their capital on an America's Cup effort is no one's business but theirs.TaoJones
What are you talking about? Why do they then have a huge BMW Oracle sign pasted on their mainsail? Is it for themselves to look at? It is indeed a free country you are free to look at what that company spends money on and pass judgment on it, good or bad.

Quote:
The argument you've put forth could logically be extended to anything anyone spends money on if it does not directly relieve poverty, including buying a boat, going cruising, buying a computer or joining Cruisers Forum. TaoJones
But It doesn't and I didn't. What you are getting worked up over is what you think the ethos was behind what I said not what I actually said. I am talking about one company, one boat, one rig, and a few very expensive decisions, not the US or capitalism in general.
Quote:
But the truth is that if every cent or minute of time were somehow re-directed to alleviating poverty, this would be a very boring world, and counter-productive in the long run.
TaoJones
Really? Why don't you think on that for a day. Do you really believe that spending $10,000,000 on a rig to race a sailboat is more important than alleviating the hunger of kids? Or even one kid? Say it in a sentence: "I think that a mast and rigging of a racing sailboat is more important than children." That is the sentiment you just conveyed.

What BMW decides to do is their choice. But you get to make the choice whether or not you want to support a company that wastes it's money on crass consumerism and a gross display of wealth. Me, I say it is gross, tacky, tasteless, and gaudy to flaunt one's wealth in public when there are lots of people who have less than you. So I won't buy a BMW, or a Rolex, or a fat gold chain. Because it makes people and companies look like chumps.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 14:08   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The 10 mill to replace that mast is going to be spent to employ someone. Somone has to make the carbon fiber. Someone has to make the resin. Thousands of man-hours will be spent mixing all that carbon fiber and resin together to produce one large stick. Those people will then turn around and spend their paychecks on paying their bills and paying their taxes. And so it goes. The government has pretty much taken over the role of providing for the poor. Those people who are paying their taxes are also helping the poor. Yes, a portion of the money to make a new mast does get back to the poor.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 14:22   #29

Boat: Cascade
Well its not just the amount of employment that counts its very much the technology breakthroughs discovered. There could be a piece of technology developed during this that reduces the need for fossil fuels for sea transport or a new material invented and used to save lives in crash helmets.

These breakthroughs are not invented in someone’s basement anymore… they take millions of dollars to develop.

I am not saying that we should be uncharitable but many times progress takes a leap in these types of developments.

(Of course Larry Ellison may put a patent on it and make another cool billion)
Old 04-11-2009, 14:28   #30

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Must every thread be hijacked nowadays...... sigh