Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2013, 06:47   #46
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,088
Re: Blue Water Cruising w/a samll catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator
Just the one 3/4 circumnavigation.
So thats none then. What sort of Multihull was that on?

I love your answer about why 12.2 metre is better than 11.9 metre, quote of the year I reckon, I think its gotta go in my signature block.

40 foot better than 39 foot - because - diesels are better than petrol outboards.
__________________

__________________
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 16:12   #47
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
So thats none then. What sort of Multihull was that on?

I love your answer about why 12.2 metre is better than 11.9 metre, quote of the year I reckon, I think its gotta go in my signature block.

40 foot better than 39 foot - because - diesels are better than petrol outboards.
I'm really confused. So is a 40'er with outboards better than a 39'er with diesels? Or is it vice versa? I'm gonna lose some sleep over this one.
Oh yeah, what the hell is petrol?:-)
__________________

__________________
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 18:22   #48
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 830
Images: 27
Re: Blue Water Cruising w/a samll catamaran

Quote:
So thats none then. What sort of Multihull was that on?

I love your answer about why 12.2 metre is better than 11.9 metre, quote of the year I reckon, I think its gotta go in my signature block.

40 foot better than 39 foot - because - diesels are better than petrol outboards.
Oh Factor, you're not picking up what I am putting down, seems to be a common theme for you.

I never said that 40ft was better than 39ft, I said that 40+ft was the magic figure.

You then twisted my words like only you could (where did you learn this skill??) and said that I said that 40ft was better than 39ft.

The point is, that no matter what I say, be it 40ft is better than 36ft or diesels are better than petrol (gas) outboards, black looks better than white, you would still disagree, because that is your nature.

FYI - My 3/4 circum was on a Perry 43 from the small port of Sapri Italy, via the Atlantic, BVI's, Fiji / Sth pac & into Bundy, returning "Natalie II" to her homeland over a period of ~1.5 years.

Quote:
So thats none then.
One could seriously question what you are trying to suggest by that throw-away line; it would seem that you are attempting to tell me that a few trips out of Manly Marina in Brisbane in your Seawind 10.5 metre ranks you higer in seamanship over a trip from Italy to Australia? Get over yourself.
__________________
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 18:25   #49
Registered User
 
salticrak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: palmwoods qld australia
Boat: wharram tiki 26
Posts: 739
Re: Blue Water Cruising w/a samll catamaran

Fellas,...seriously get a room.
__________________
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 18:47   #50
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post

Oh Factor, you're not picking up what I am putting down, seems to be a common theme for you.

I never said that 40ft was better than 39ft, I said that 40+ft was the magic figure.

You then twisted my words like only you could (where did you learn this skill??) and said that I said that 40ft was better than 39ft.

The point is, that no matter what I say, be it 40ft is better than 36ft or diesels are better than petrol (gas) outboards, black looks better than white, you would still disagree, because that is your nature.

FYI - My 3/4 circum was on a Perry 43 from the small port of Sapri Italy, via the Atlantic, BVI's, Fiji / Sth pac & into Bundy, returning "Natalie II" to her homeland over a period of ~1.5 years.

One could seriously question what you are trying to suggest by that throw-away line; it would seem that you are attempting to tell me that a few trips out of Manly Marina in Brisbane in your Seawind 10.5 metre ranks you higer in seamanship over a trip from Italy to Australia? Get over yourself.
A Perry 43, was that a Perry mono or a Perry catamaran?
__________________
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 19:31   #51
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 830
Images: 27
Re: Blue Water Cruising a Small Catamaran

Cat. Like the one that Alby was banging around in in his last series.

PS Factor please stop filling my inbox with your whining.
__________________
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 19:50   #52
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
Posts: 5,717
Re: Blue Water Cruising a Small Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelrookie View Post
Hi all, we are mostly lurkers and avidly read this forum.

We (just 2 of us) would like to know your thoughts on the smallest catamaran suited for blue water cruising, and which small cat is best suited for this endeavor.

Thanks to all.
Henry & Elizabeth
A 36 foot cat is a starting point. Anything smaller and you will not be able to get insurance.
__________________
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 20:00   #53
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post

A 36 foot cat is a starting point. Anything smaller and you will not be able to get insurance.
Aw come on Cotemar, we all know you own a 36' cat I'm sure you can get insurance on a smaller cat.
__________________
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 20:01   #54
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Cat. Like the one that Alby was banging around in in his last series.

PS Factor please stop filling my inbox with your whining.
Are you Alby?
__________________
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 20:13   #55
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
Posts: 5,717
Re: Blue Water Cruising a Small Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Aw come on Cotemar, we all know you own a 36' cat I'm sure you can get insurance on a smaller cat.
Give it a go, but all the insurance companies I called would not do it.
__________________
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 20:14   #56
Registered User
 
Sand crab's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Posts: 3,157
Re: Blue Water Cruising a Small Catamaran

Did Slapdash have insurance?
__________________
We don't need no stinking badges.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 20:15   #57
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post

Give it a go, but all the insurance companies I called would not do it.
We've owned 6 catamarans below 36' the latest being 6 months ago and never had a problem getting insurance.
__________________
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 20:24   #58
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,657
Just a thought, but does that mean all the Gemini cats and every other cat below 36' is uninsurable? Think about it..... That would mean those cats value on the used market would be practically zero. No financing, only cash for a boat valued at over $200,000?
__________________
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 20:45   #59
Registered User
 
Sand crab's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Posts: 3,157
Re: Blue Water Cruising a Small Catamaran

Does your SW 1000 have insurance? Is that an XL and how long is it?
__________________
We don't need no stinking badges.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 20:52   #60
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Does your SW 1000 have insurance? Is that an XL and how long is it?
Both our Seawind 1000's were the original 1000,s with stern extensions. The insurance companies insured us as a standard 33' Seawind 1000 and had no problem at all.
__________________

__________________
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
catamaran, cruising, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahe 36: Hull jean1146 Fountaine Pajot 118 23-06-2016 08:35
Vote On the 'Best Blue Water Cruising Sailboat of All Time' MysticMaid Monohull Sailboats 267 03-01-2016 19:52
Blue Water Sailing Magazine April issue settingsun The Library 2 28-03-2013 21:43
Cleaning Poly Water Tank LifesAnAdventure Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 9 17-02-2013 18:03



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.