Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2003, 15:16   #1

Question blue II 34 foot cat

new to the group
does anybody have good or bad news about a vessel made by beneteau called the blue II catamaran 34 feet by 19.5 feet beam
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 04:29   #2

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Beneteau Blue II

I looked at them 3 years ago, when I was hot on the trail of my boat. There was one for sale on the Chesapeake.

The boat looks like a Stiletto on stearoids, or like a less expensive Edel 35. Like the Edel and the Stiletto, it uses heavy duty aluminum tubes to hold the three main pieces together. The lines looked good, and the cockpit and the salon appealed to me. Dual steering stations makes it look serious. The hulls were narrow, so of course the bunks are narrow as well. The kitchen is in the stern of the starboard hull. With a tiny sink and little space for storage, I would not call it a long range cruiser. Electrical and cabling hang down under the cockpit before entering the hulls, and the clearance below the cockpit to the water seemed way too little to me. Fluids tanks were terribly small, to my recollection.

Communication with Beneteau resulted in a photocopied brochure and assurances that the designer intended it to be sturdy enough for ocean travel.

The one I looked at had all the interior lining failing, drooping into the living areas or already removed. The solar rays had played havoc with the acrylic windows, and I imagine it might be a chore finding replacements.

Still, probably a fun boat for the Chesapeake, for large rivers and bays, and for medium-sized lakes. Likely to be fun and fast everywhere but a lumpy seaway. (Be aware that I didn't get out on it) Wasn't what I was looking for, though. I had owned a Stiletto, and was looking for a cruiser. Bought a Tobago 35 a year ago.

Where and how do you plan to use what you are looking for?

Oh, and welcome aboard. I find these people interesting, helpful, and friendly.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 02:30   #3

blue two

thanx for the info on the beneteau sounds like the vessel will not be the one!!!!!!!!!! my gal and i live by vancouver and plan to do some coastal sailing and then two years to the carib thru the panama unless we find a catamaran for sale down there........we are now looking at the privilege 39.........we do not plan on leaving until......august 2004
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2003, 15:04   #4

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Would love to stay in touch, Billy. We are intending to leave in October for the Caribean, from Eastern Canada. I am hopeful that Dawn and I can find friends with whom to cruise. Another multihull nut might be great.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:20   #5

Re: blue II 34 foot cat

Well billy , I wonder what you did eventually go for all those years ago , but regarding the blue 2 I think they have ( or at least my one ) stood the test of time , I bought one a couple of years ago and love it , it is fast and comfortable , economic under engine and plenty of room , we crossed the North Sea and experienced a couple of storms , that was not best comfortable !! experiencing some slamming , but in general well behaved , the hull is still good showing no signs of bubbling , cracking etc ,as are the structural beams , no corrosion whatsoever , the rigging has taken some beatings and has withstood much , ( I have no idea of age tho condition is good ) , one rudder stock has been done and I want to do the other tho freeing off the stainless to ally faces is not easy , proper shaft drive with no nocking or leaks , one engine near new the other old but good ,main saloon windows all have been replaced and hatch polly is hazed , great boat and absolute best value for money around ,,, oh , has been converted with cabin bulkhead moved aft 2 ft giving larger cabin, with galley up, and smaller cockpit , sugar scoops added with extra 2 ft water line , I have built in tramp cat walk , bow spit , cabin surround grab rails , step up around mast foot , solar / radar steen arch and currently working on running ( mast head ) back stays .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote